Apps (Selective Sync Conflict)

I see several articles but due to the nature of the problem I am hesitant to do very much to fix the problem until I am sure that I have a backup of my file on my windows computer?

I have a iphone, and an ipad and two computers syncing the vault. Can you provide me a set of instructions to;

1. insure I have a backup if I mess up the fix,
  2. Provide instructions to make the necessary changes to the second computer and the two ios devices to fix the sync problem?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @wgale2760

Could you please let me know which versions of 1Password you have on each device and how they are configured to sync (e.g. 1Password.com membership or Dropbox)?

Thanks!

Ben

• wgale2760
    wgale2760
    Community Member

computer 1 windows 10 computer 7.3.712, computer 2 windows 10 computer 7.3.712, iPhone 7.4.4, iPad 7.4.4

• wgale2760
    wgale2760
    Community Member

configured to sync with dropbox

• wgale2760
    wgale2760
    Community Member

Ben any progress or thoughts on my issue?

• @wgale2760

Apologies for the delay. Please check out these instructions for making a backup:

https://support.1password.com/backups/#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-standalone-vaults

And then these instructions should help troubleshoot the sync issue:

If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox

Please let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• wgale2760
    wgale2760
    Community Member

Ben it looks like I am going to loose all of the passwords on all of the devices that were to syncronize but failed? The instructions for fixing this is to pick a device that I think has the best data on it and then delete all of the data from the other 3 devices and restore the vault to the other devices through syncronization, any missing passwords from the other 3 devices are up to me to reregister as I find them? Does this sum up the process? Why dosent 1 password sync the data from each device with the target that is added to Dropbox, adding any missing rfecords that were not synced? Also this is a really big question , WHY dosent 1 Password check for a "Selective Sync Conflict" and warn the user that this condition is present?

I don't see any info in the articles you referenced to backing up the data? The articles say don't worry about a backup that 1password does it automatically but I am not sure where the automatic backup is stored? I can't add a test record to 1password and see a write in a file structure and a change in the file size to know where my data is? I realize that this might parinoia but I live by using your product and "don't worry 1 Password takes care of backup automatically" makes me worried!

Soooo when I get the vault restablished in dropbox is that the only place where the data exists or is there a local copy on my computer?

• @wgale2760

Ben it looks like I am going to loose all of the passwords on all of the devices that were to syncronize but failed? The instructions for fixing this is to pick a device that I think has the best data on it and then delete all of the data from the other 3 devices and restore the vault to the other devices through syncronization, any missing passwords from the other 3 devices are up to me to reregister as I find them? Does this sum up the process?

That sounds right, yes. If there is valuable data on the other devices you'd need to manually add that information to the device that you are going to work from.

Why dosent 1 password sync the data from each device with the target that is added to Dropbox, adding any missing rfecords that were not synced? Also this is a really big question , WHY dosent 1 Password check for a "Selective Sync Conflict" and warn the user that this condition is present?

1Password membership does this more reliably, but there is only so much we're able to do with 3rd party sync services (e.g. Dropbox). 3rd party sync is older tech. Membership is the way forward.

I don't see any info in the articles you referenced to backing up the data? The articles say don't worry about a backup that 1password does it automatically but I am not sure where the automatic backup is stored? I can't add a test record to 1password and see a write in a file structure and a change in the file size to know where my data is? I realize that this might parinoia but I live by using your product and "don't worry 1 Password takes care of backup automatically" makes me worried!

It sounds like you're reading the section about backups with membership, rather than standalone vaults. The link I provided should've taken you directly to the info on standalone, but that may not have happened. In any event, the section you want to read is titled "You can also create and restore backups of standalone vaults." With membership it is automatic. With standalone it is a manual process.

Soooo when I get the vault restablished in dropbox is that the only place where the data exists or is there a local copy on my computer?

Regardless of how you sync each of your devices that has been synced will have a local cache.

Ben

• wgale2760
    wgale2760
    Community Member

Ben thanks for the info. On the windows machines, when there is a synchronization vault on Dropbox, where would I find the local copy on the windows 10 machines? I think if I can see the local copy and get a copy for backup then that should end the rest of the questions? Do you know the folder structure where the local cache is stored on a Windows 10 computer?

• I don't, but I'd be happy to get you over to our Windows folks who can help with that platform. I'm moving the thread there now. :+1:

Ben

• Your local data is in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password, @wgale2760. You'll find it in the aptly named data folder in that directory. :+1: One bit of heads up if you're backing up that local data, though. It's not a common occurrence, but the underlying structure of the database does change from on version to another from time to time. This means that if you need to view/restore an old database, you might find the latest app can't read it. You can always grab an old version that can, but I personally recommend you find a way to note what version of 1Password created what backed up database, if it's at all practical. It's technically not a requirement, but can save you some guesswork if you find yourself in a situation where the data you need can't be read by the app you've got.

This discussion has been closed.