Newly installed Firefox extension grayed out.

Hello,
I have a family subscription to 1Password, and have been using the program for several months now. Downloaded the extension for Firefox last night. Firefox (version 71.0) says it's enabled, but still grayed out. . I shut down and re-started the computer, no change.

BTW, I don't know what version of 1Password I'm running, and your link for "how to find 1password version" told me about automatic updates, but didn't really answer the question.

1Password Version: ?
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows version 10.0.18362
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @maggieL! What platform (macOS or Windows) is this on? It sounds like you've installed the desktop app companion extension; have you also installed the desktop app for your platform? You alternatively can give 1Password X a try, which works completely in your browser and doesn't depend on the desktop app. You can learn more about it here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Let me know if this gets you on the right path or if you have follow-up questions. :smile:

• MaggieL
    MaggieL
    Community Member

Hi Michael, and thanks for your response.
    I'm a little confused - I did fill in the info boxes at the bottom on my original post re: Windows 10.0.18362 - should I have put them in the body of the note as well?

I have been impressed with the 1Password program overall, but finding how-to information when I need it has not been very intuitive. The Home Page doesn't have an direct path to Help - it takes another click via a drop-down from my name to get to "Help and Support", which turns out to be focused on Account Management. I have resorted to using google search to answer various questions - that's how I first found this forum. To be completely fair, I do now see links to Resources and Forum at the very bottom of that page. But it shouldn't be that complicated IMO.

I did install the desktop app when I first signed up, and have been using it in addition to the IOS apps on my iphone and ipad. But your question about it made me wonder, since I couldn't find the version # anywhere when signed in. And as I mentioned in my original post, this forum's link for how to find the version does not actually answer that question.

I found the 1Password version # just now by going back and reviewing my downloads - 7.3.712

So based on this, what next? Am I best off trying a switch to the X version? Or is there a way to make this work with what I have?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @MaggieL ,
    Thank you for the additional info and the feedback.

We do recommend using 1Password X since it has a better autofilling experience. I highly suggest you give it a try: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

If you would still rather use the good old companion extension, I suggest the following:
    1. Check if Firefox has any pending updates. If so install and relaunch it.
    2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to bring up the "Run" prompt.
    3. write "1password.exe --setup" in that Run prompt and hit Enter.
    4. 1Password should pop up after a few moments - unlock it, then go to Firefox and see if the extension is now functioning.

I do hope you'll find 1Password X to your liking though :)

• MaggieL
    MaggieL
    Community Member

My Bad. Very basic oversight on my part.

So it turns out that all this time, I never installed the 1Password app that I downloaded to my laptop in September. I was signing in to 1Password from my Firefox browser and assuming I was in the app. When 1password.exe didn't pull up anything in the "Run" search, I went back to my downloads and opened the setup program. Once I went through the steps to get a photo of my scan code from my phone to the laptop, the program installed just fine, and now the extension looks active.

And it turns out that my rant about the app lacking easily findable support applied to the browser version (presumably not the X version), not the app.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @MaggieL !
    We're glad to hear you managed to figure it out, and that everything is now working properly.

I still recommend you give 1Password X a try, regardless of the matter at hand! :)
    Merry Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.