To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

To obtain my secret key it says "sign in to your 1password account" i don't have a secret key????

golinkoff
golinkoff
Community Member

I can't sign in without a secret key. Your instructions for getting my secret key requires signing in which i can't do without a secret key. really bad instructions and super confusing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:To obtain my secret key it says "sign in to your 1password account" i don't have a secret key????

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@golinkoff: Indeed, if you don't have a 1Password membership subscription, you will not have an account or a Secret Key. So I'm not sure why you would be trying to sign in in that case.

If you're new to 1Password, you don't need to sign in: you can sign up instead; and if you are not new to 1Password, you would need to sync your own data from another device.

Which applies to you, and what are the specifics? Like 1Password, I have no way of knowing. So, for example, if you are already using 1Password somewhere else, what are the OS and 1Password versions you have there?

• luv2drvfst
    luv2drvfst
    Community Member

I have the exact same problem and your answer above is about as cryptic as the upgrade process was. I DO have a membership (in trial mode at the moment), but when I downloaded and installed version 7, I never got the emergency kit pdf downloaded as part of that process. The email I received confirming my membership says, "Be sure to print out your Emergency Kit. It’s where you will find your Secret Key, which protects your data, and which you will need to sign in to 1Password from new devices." When I open the Emergency Kit link in that email it takes me to a sign in page the requires the Secret Key! Something isn't working the way it should. Any suggestions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@luv2drvfst: I think I'll leave it up to the person I was replying to if my answer was helpful or needs clarification. Primarily, I'm asking questions to get a sense of their situation, since it's critical to know the starting point in order to navigate to any destination. :)

If you're already using your 1Password account somewhere, you can unlock 1Password using only your Master Password to find your Secret Key in Settings:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

If you'll let me know what you're using, I can give more specific guidance as well. :)

• luv2drvfst
    luv2drvfst
    Community Member

Every published method to recover the Secret Key seems to be predicated upon having previously signed in to my 1Password subscription. My problem is that the only time I've signed into my subscription account was when I first purchased the subscription on my laptop. I have never signed in to my subscription anywhere else. I have tried every single suggestion to sign in, but they ALL require the Secret Key. I did not receive the pdf download when I installed version 7 as the instructions said that I would. The only thing I can conclude is that despite signing up for a subscription, I never was actually logged into my subscription account. So I'm back to the vicious circle. I can't sign in because I don't have the Secret Key, and I can't get the Secret Key until I sign in. Surely there must be some other way to resolve this.

• luv2drvfst
    luv2drvfst
    Community Member

I started over, went back to version 6 and was finally able to open the app on my laptop, get the secret key, then reinstall version 7 and now it's working on my laptop. Next step, get the iOS version working...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I started over, went back to version 6 and was finally able to open the app on my laptop, get the secret key, then reinstall version 7 and now it's working on my laptop. Next step, get the iOS version working...

@luv2drvfst: I'm glad that you were able to get your Secret Key from the app where you'd signed in. You shouldn't have any trouble using that to sign into 1Password on other devices too, but let me know if you have any questions along the way. :)

In case it is of benefit to others,

Every published method to recover the Secret Key seems to be predicated upon having previously signed in to my 1Password subscription.

That's not quite right. If you'd saved your Emergency Kit after signing up for a 1Password membership account, you'd have it there. But otherwise, yes, you'd be able to find it in the app/browser where you've used the account. And if someone hasn't used the account anywhere, then it's sort of a moot point: they can start with a new one.

My problem is that the only time I've signed into my subscription account was when I first purchased the subscription on my laptop. I have never signed in to my subscription anywhere else.

If you have not saved anything in your account, it doesn't matter. But if you have, it sounds like you just need to open 1Password on your laptop and go to Preferences/Settings > Accounts to find you Secret Key.

I have tried every single suggestion to sign in, but they ALL require the Secret Key. I did not receive the pdf download when I installed version 7 as the instructions said that I would. The only thing I can conclude is that despite signing up for a subscription, I never was actually logged into my subscription account.

Certainly some people sign up for a membership account and never use it. In case it helps anyone else, what I suggested above does not require the Secret Key.

So I'm back to the vicious circle. I can't sign in because I don't have the Secret Key, and I can't get the Secret Key until I sign in. Surely there must be some other way to resolve this.

In that case, you wouldn't need the Secret Key at all. Verify that you can access all of your data in a local vault ("Primary"/"On this Mac/PC") in 1Password, delete the account you do not need and cannot access, and sign up for a new one:

1. In a web browser, go to https://start.1password.com/support , enter the account's email address, and click "Continue"
    2. Click the blue button in the email you receive to view your account(s)
    3. Click the account you want to delete
    4. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click "Delete Account" to confirm.
    5. After that, you can sign up for a new account here: https://start.1password.com/signup/plan

:+1:

• ufgatorsfan
    ufgatorsfan
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

I have the same problem as the above people. I signed up for 1Password on my iPhone. But I now can't get the secret key because 1Password does not support downloading the Emergency Kit from an iPhone. Maybe 1Password should have said upfront to not sign up for 1Password from an iPhone! Anyway, how can I get the secret key? I thought the Master Password was supposed to be my key to signing in to 1Password, I had no clue I also needed a secret key until I couldn't sign into my account. This is crazy!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ufgatorsfan,

Sorry for the troubles!

If you created your 1Password account via 1Password on your iPhone, it is possible to find your Secret Key there. Here is how:

1) Open and unlock 1Password on your iPhone.
    2) Tap Settings > 1Password Accounts.
    3) Tap your account, then tap your Secret Key and choose Copy or Show in Large Type.

Please let me know if it works for you. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• ufgatorsfan
    ufgatorsfan
    Community Member

I can’t sign in to my app without the secret key.

• @ufgatorsfan

I have a few troubleshooting steps you can try. They are located on the Find your Secret Key page. Additionally, you can find more information about a reset of your account in the Get more help section.

1Password has always used a hands-off approach to your Master Password and Secret Key. We do not know it! Unfortunately, if you do not have it saved, the only option is to start over. But before doing that, I would highly suggest checking all the steps in the above topics. You may find that it helps you locate your key. For people in your situation, without a saved Emergency Kit or Secret Key, that's usually in the form of another signed in device.

• Ahorita
    Ahorita
    Community Member

I have a variation of the above problems, looking for guidance. Last night I purchased a One Password account and set it up on a new iPhone. I did not save the Emergency Kit yet, nor did I log into One Password on any other device or web browser. Owing to problems unrelated to One Password, I had to stop setting up the rest of my iphone, and do a factory reset. Afterwards, I downloaded One Password again, but have been unable to sign in whatsoever--owing to the same issues brought up previously, I don't have my "Secret Code" and of course am unable to retrieve it because of the Catch-22 of needing the Secret Code to log in somewhere else. I only added a couple passwords to the Vault last night before nuking the iphone, so I could care less if I lose the data of my One Password as it stands. However, it's no longer clear just how I might get my new One Password account functioning in any capacity again, at this point. Even trying to "delete the account", to start from scratch, I get an email directing me to --you guessed it--log into One Password (see previous: I do not have my secret code and therefore cannot log in anywhere else, yet my account does exist!). Advice?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ahorita,

Thank you for getting in touch! I am sorry to hear you bumped into these troubles.

If you reset your iPhone and 1Password was deleted without saving Emergency Kit or your account credentials, you can follow the troubleshooting steps here. As the last step you will be able to remove your existing account.

After that you can go ahead and sign up for a new account on our website. I would recommend you to do that on your computer, as it is more convenient.

Please let us know if you bump into any difficulties with it. We are here to help. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.