Please bring Windows Hello into 1Password X

The Web Authentication API provide ability to use Windows Hello in Browser, it's a W3C Recommendation.

For dev guide with Windows Hello in browser, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/dev-guide/windows-integration/web-authentication

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

Right now our focus is on desktop app integration for 1Password X, which will be coming to Windows as well. But if it meets all of our requirements, perhaps we we can offer that directly within 1Password X in the future as well. Cheers! :)

ref: dev/core/core#318

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arianelu: Ah. That sort of thing seems to be a rare occurrence, but you're right that it's just one example of the the messes we can get ourselves into if we're not careful keeping business and personal stuff separate. I find it's helpful to hide vaults from the All Vaults view, or just switch to specific vaults to use at certain times -- e.g. stay in the "work" stuff when I'm working, etc. If you need help with that, let me know. :)

• Cartman
    Cartman
    Community Member

Windows Hello support in 1Password X would be great....but only if it is supported on first launch not later like the desktop app. Otherwise don't bother. ;)

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

I need Windows Hello support in 1Password X for Firefox. Not impressed I have to enter the master password every time I start up Firefox and want to use 1Password.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Cartman: As Brenty mentioned above, we want to integrate our desktop application and 1Password X. It means that unlocking the one will unlock the other (and vice versa), but it will not change the current Windows Hello behaviour, when you always have to unlock 1Password first with your Master Password. In order to make Windows Hello work all the time, we'd have to store a version of your Master Password somewhere on the computer, this is the part we're not comfortable with at the moment.

@stevewoo: If you don't want to unlock 1Password twice, you can install our companion extension in Firefox. Unlocking the main 1Password 7 application will unlock 1Password companion extension automatically. If it doesn't suit your needs, please stay tuned for future updates. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• wmgildersleeve
    wmgildersleeve
    Community Member

FWIW, I've dumped 1Password X in favor of the 1Password Extension app due to the former's lack of Windows Hello support. Its richer features don't outweigh the PIA of having to enter my master password every 10 minutes.

I also am highly uncomfortable not having my password manager auto-lock. Maybe it's not logical, given that 1Password is also protected by Windows security, but that's still how I feel.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wmgildersleeve,

If you use 1Password X, you can increase auto-lock period in Settings:

As for your second question, could you please elaborate? What auto-lock you are missing and where?

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• wmgildersleeve
    wmgildersleeve
    Community Member

That wasn't a question but an observation. I've seen elsewhere people suggesting shutting off auto-lock as a "work around" for lack of Hello integration. I'm not willing to loosen the auto-lock configuration.

• Thanks for clarifying, @wmgildersleeve. I totally understand. I personally don't mind it, but depending on your workflow, not having a quick way to unlock without having to type your Master Password can be a deal breaker. I wish I had a solution for you, but Desktop App Integration is still in the works. Dave recently shared a lovely post about its progress here.

Real quick- I think you're aware of this, but I just wanted to clarify for other folks reading this thread that the auto-lock timer starts when your system goes idle, so you shouldn't have to type your Master Password every 10 minutes (or however many minutes you set the auto-lock timer to) while you're using your device. Just every x minutes after you've stopped using the device, so long as auto-lock is enabled.

• wmgildersleeve
    wmgildersleeve
    Community Member

Hi @cecelia, thanks for the message and the link to the blog post. I hadn't seen that post yet, and, while the timeline is disappointing, it's good to see that the integration is moving forward. I do get your point about idle time, but I did find that I was entering my password more often than I like--in other words, more than once a day--I hate entering passwords (hence my having purchased 1Password.

Ultimately, I wanted to be vocal about my experiences, at least to make clear that the Hello integration is a deal-breaker vis a vis 1Password X for some people.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We appreciate you taking the time to write your feedback about this :+1: Anything that helps us make 1Password better is always welcome :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@arianelu:

If you like the companion browser extension better, you don't need to switch to 1Password X then :) We are still working on both extensions, so for the foreseeable future I would not worry about it if you prefer the companion extension.

• eirhardt
    eirhardt
    Community Member

Integrating 1PasswordX with the desktop app would be excellent! @brenty it seems like this still isn't working on Windows/PC/Edge though, is that accurate? At least, it isn't working for me...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eirhardt:

That is correct: this is currently only available in 1Password for Mac Beta and 1Password X Beta.

• eirhardt
    eirhardt
    Community Member

@ag_ana I see - thank you for clarifying :) (and for your quick response).

• On behalf of Ana you are most welcome. Have a good weekend!

Ben

• Sab25
    Sab25
    Community Member

Hello,

any news on the Windows Hello Integration for 1Password X?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not yet @sab25, sorry!

• Silent Z
    Silent Z
    Community Member

Any update on bringing Windows Hello functionality to 1password X?

• Hello @Silent Z ,

We are also excited about 1Password X and Windows Hello and working hard on it. We can't provide an exact date, but if things go smoothly, we might be able to try the great feature as early as the end of this year or early next year. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

In the meantime, if you want to unlock 1Password using touchID, please switch to the standard extension for your browser.

• johnsnow
    johnsnow
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Thanks @nhat_1P for the somewhat hopeful message :)

I'm using 1Password X across home and work pc, and as you would have guessed, I can only have 1Password X on work pc due to the software installation policies at work.

Therefore, 1Password X with windows hello (fingerprint) integration will be hugely beneficial to ppl like me.

Hope to hear more soon.

Thanks

• Isu
    Isu
    Community Member

LastPass, EndPass, Dashlane, all of those are great, multiplatform, even cheapper than last and all supports WinHello in convinient way.
    Im gonna do some long run test with those across platforms in daily use,

But sorry, I think im gonna leave 1Password I'v been waiting few years to windows hello support, yes 1Pass 7 does support it but it is usesless, I have to enter my master password anyway before I can use fingerprint so what is the point.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words @johnsnow! Please keep an eye out on the release notes, we will certainly mention this whenever this is implemented ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Isu:

I have to enter my master password anyway before I can use fingerprint so what is the point.

The Master Password is still what secures your data, so there are cases where you will have to continue entering it, despite Windows Hello being enabled. For example:

• If your face or fingerprint isn’t recognized, or there was an error on your companion device.
    • If you’re trying to change your Master Password
    • If you’ve restarted 1Password, including after updating 1Password or restarting your PC
  • hawkin
    hawkin
    Community Member

@ag_ana:
    Did I understand it correct that the integration is supported on the beta version of Password X, but ONLY with the 1Password app for Mac (so it wont work for windows)?

I was happily trying the 1Password X beta for windows but could not see it helped on unlocking (when the main app was unlocked) :(

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @hawkin ,

The integration feature is currently not available on any platform, since we removed it to build something completely new. Hopefully it will be released on all platforms simultaneously in the near future :)
    Keep your apps up to date and stay tuned!

• VitorDente
    VitorDente
    Community Member

Hey 1Password team!
    Any news on that? The ability to use windows hello is a latent necessity!
    Help us!
    Best,
    Vitor

• Hello @VitorDente,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. We are still working hard on the feature. You can go here for more information and updates. If unlocking 1Password with Windows Hello is essential to your workflow, you can install the classic 1Password extension from here: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/ => scroll down to "Install the 1Password classic extension" and select your browser.

This discussion has been closed.