I'm making a mess of my set-up… help!

eastvanjim
eastvanjim
Community Member

Moving away from Dropbox sync to the 1Password server and the Family membership is proving to be confusing for me, so everything is a bit of a mess on my end.

Can someone help me with the following:

1. Confirm if the password to unlock the program is embedded in the data file or locally on each device? ie: Am I assigning different passwords for my local program on my MacBook, another for my iOS devices and another for the online version? Or should I say, can the these passwords be different? I'm having a hard time logging in at times and not sure if the passwords are different or if I'm just making a mess while I'm typing it in.

2. Also, I've been using 1Password since before version 3.0 and was super-reluctant to try the cloud service, but love it - however, I installed it on my MacBook first and ran it for a while before upgrading my iOS apps, but it looks like I inadvertently left the dropbox sync'd vault connected, which I just realized - the problem is that I think I may have added new passwords on my iPhone that saved to the dropbox vault. Is there a way I can view those password modification or creation dates so I know what needs to moved to the Family vault? This has just gotten to be a huge mess.

• MacBook Pro has Private Vault (1071 entries), Shared Vault A (4 entries) and Shared Vault B (11 entries)
  • iOS has Dropbox Vault (1079 entries), and the vaults above

What's the best way to fix my mess?

thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eastvanjim!

Confirm if the password to unlock the program is embedded in the data file or locally on each device? ie: Am I assigning different passwords for my local program on my MacBook, another for my iOS devices and another for the online version? Or should I say, can the these passwords be different?

No, they cannot be different if you are using the same vaults. The Master Password is related to the vault you are using, not to the device. For example, if your Dropbox vault uses a certain Master Password, that's the Master Password that all your devices will use where Dropbox is the main vault inside the 1Password app.

Also, I've been using 1Password since before version 3.0 and was super-reluctant to try the cloud service, but love it - however, I installed it on my MacBook first and ran it for a while before upgrading my iOS apps, but it looks like I inadvertently left the dropbox sync'd vault connected, which I just realized - the problem is that I think I may have added new passwords on my iPhone that saved to the dropbox vault. Is there a way I can view those password modification or creation dates so I know what needs to moved to the Family vault? This has just gotten to be a huge mess.

You could delete your data on 1Password.com and migrate it again, although it might be overkill if you only created just a few items on your phone. In your case, you could consider temporarily adding your Dropbox vault to your 1Password for Mac app, and move just the modified items (since 1Password for Mac allows you to sort by modification date, so it should make the process much easier).

• eastvanjim
    eastvanjim
    Community Member

thanks - I think I've made a further mess of this. I tried to import my old Dropbox keychain into my Family Private vault, assuming it would give me a way to sort the duplicates - but now I have the sum of both vaults (2,153 items). is there way to delete all the duplicates?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eastvanjim:

Yes, you can try using the duplicate removal tool under the 1Password app's Help menu > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items. Make sure you switch to your Private vault first, or the menu item will be greyed out.

• eastvanjim
    eastvanjim
    Community Member

worked like a charm! Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.