Disable "iPassword 7 is trying to unlock" prompt

Options
Topher75
Topher75
Community Member

Started using 1Password 7 and find it annoying to discard the "iPassword 7 is trying to unlock" prompt every time I want to unlock the browser plugin. Is there a way to disable the prompt?

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Topher75

I’m not entirely sure I’m familiar with what you’re discussing here. Would it be possible to share a screenshot of this prompt?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Please be sure no sensitive information is on the screen, as this is a public forum. If you’d prefer to move this conversation to a private setting please email us the screenshot to support+forum@1password.com and post the support ID you get back from the auto-responder here.

Thank you!

Ben

• rudy
    Options

@topher75,

The only way to disable that prompt is to also turn off Touch ID unlock in 1Password.

• Topher75
    Topher75
    Community Member
    Options

Really?? If the only way to disable the prompt, is to disable Touch ID, IMO there is zero point to upgrade to 7.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Topher75 - thanks for the perspective on that. I think there are many reasons to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, but each person's mileage is different when it comes to those sorts of things.

• Topher75
    Topher75
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Still using the current version (still not convinced the upgrade is worth the price).

I have been a long time 1Password user and an advocate for the product. However, I find the new version "layout" not to be as intuitive as the older version.

• Not sure why a user is prompted everytime that Touch ID is enabled, perhaps it is required for function. Perhaps the next minor release has an option not to display this window?

• The "Open in Separate Window" icon was NOT intuitive that the result would be to keep the login details opened. Perhaps adding a "pin" icon located to the right of the "Fill" button? IMO the Pin icon is more intuitive than the current icon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Topher75

Still using the current version (still not convinced the upgrade is worth the price).

Not quite sure what you mean by this; unless you're using El Capitan or earlier, 1Password 7 for Mac IS the current version. That said, if you're more comfortable staying on 1Password 6 for Mac, while I can't recommend it as a long term strategy, it certainly will work for now and probably for a while to come.

ref: apple-1065

• mikeobrien
    mikeobrien
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with @Topher75. I too have been a longtime loyal user and have become so frustrated with this unnecessary pop-up that I initiated some research to learn how to turn it off.

I've read this short thread entirely and would love to understand why the pop-up is deemed beneficial or necessary? From my perspective, it's unnecessary, annoying and it's elimination would provide a more seamless user experience.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikeobrien:

Thank you for sharing your perspective! I will be happy to pass your feedback to the developers.

• mikeobrien
    mikeobrien
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana - Thank you.

But seriously, what would be most valuable is an understanding of why the pop-up is deemed beneficial or necessary. There must be a reason but I can't figure it out.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikeobrien:

I am not a developer, but I think there must have been a technical reason. The popup seems to be coming from macOS itself, so if that's how authentication is supposed to work via Touch ID, 1Password can only use what macOS offers it. We don't have direct control over features offered by the operating system, and this seems to be one of those cases.

• mikeobrien
    mikeobrien
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    ok, that's reasonable. However:
    (1) as an end user, can you think of another example from any application that requires you to acknowledge an unnecessary notification with a pop-up? (I can not.)
    (2) as a developer, I can share that there are very logical work-arounds to avoid this regardless of the OS.
    (3) while your explanation is reasonable, it's a best guess. Can someone from the 1Password developer, design or leadership team weigh in?

Again, i want to thank you for the dialogue here - your insight is very appreciated and so much better than hearing nothing back at all. In the end, I still love 1Password. :)

• Ben
    Options

Can someone from the 1Password developer, design or leadership team weigh in?

I'll ask the question. :)

Ben

• Hi @mikeobrien,

I'm no longer part of the 1Password for Mac development team, but I was part of the team that built the original Touch ID implementation for 1Password for Mac. I can answer your question.

Ana is correct. When you ask the LocalAuthentication framework to evaluate a policy (which is how you evaluate Touch ID on both iOS and Mac), it brings up that dialog when run on the Mac.

I agree with you that this could be much better. I filed an enhancement request with Apple in 2016 regarding this as rdar 29031044. Here's what I wrote to them:

Summary:
    The dialogs that are presented by the system via the LocalAuthentication framework (referring specifically to those presented via -[LAContext evaluatePolicy:localizedReason:reply:]) are somewhat unfortunately designed.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Run code:

LAContext *context = [[LAContext alloc] init];
    [context evaluatePolicy:LAPolicyDeviceOwnerAuthenticationWithBiometrics localizedReason:@"Unlocking 1Password" reply::^(BOOL success, NSError * _Nullable error) {
    }];

2. Observe the display

Expected Results:
    I expect something that's both as pretty and as informative as the result when run on iOS. Specifically, the iOS UI does a few things:

1. Fades out the calling app to make it clear that this is what's expected of the user now.
    2. Becomes modal.
    3. Allows the calling app to stay visible in the background to give context to the user about who's requesting TouchID

Actual Results:
    On the Mac, it has some usability issues:

1. The dialog includes the icon of the calling app, as well as the name, but otherwise this window isn't connected to the calling app. 
    2. It's not modal. The user can still interact with the calling app.
    3. It's not terribly pretty.

I'm not sure what the answer here should be. You're limited somewhat by the API and the fact that you have no NSWindow reference. I understand that this is probably tough. I just feel like this could be better.

Version:

Notes:
    Thank you so. so. much. for bringing TouchID to the Mac. You're all awesome.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• mikeobrien
    mikeobrien
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana , @Ben , @rickfillion - well that is super clear. Many thanks for sharing and good to know that I'm not the only one that has this opinion. Love this community! Thanks all.

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear Rick's answer was helpful. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• carila
    carila
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

I am struggling with this as well. But if the issue is caused by Apple, I guess we’re stuck until they change it.

• Ben
    Options

Indeed. Other than disabling Touch ID unfortunately there is no recourse from our end. Sorry. :(

Ben

This discussion has been closed.