Why does Chrome sometimes require two attempts?

rlf
rlf
Community Member

Two questions, First, I sometimes use Google Chrome v. 79 on my Mac. I've noticed that when I type in my keyboard shortcut to launch 1Password and type in the name of the website I want to log into in the Search 1Password box and then hit enter, if I'm using Chrome I will sometimes have to do the search twice before 1Password will go to the website and enter my login information. With Safari, Firefox, and Brave, 1Password goes right to the site and enter the information. Are you aware if there's anything different about Chrome that makes 1Password need two attempts to go the the website and enter my login information?

Second, if I use 1P to log into a site like Gmail that has one page where you enter your account information and a second one for the password, when I open 1P and type in the name of the site, 1P takes me there and enters my login and I'm redirected to the password page. But at this point, it seems like I always have to search for the same website again and hit enter to have 1P enter my password. But why do I have to do that second search? If 1P knows I just searched for a particular site and it entered my account information, when I do a second search so it can enter my password on the password page, why doesn't 1P remember the site I just searched for and let me just hit enter in order for it to enter my password? Why do I have to repeat the search when 1P should already know where I am? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlf!

The first one is a known issue: our developers are aware of this and we hope to have a fix available as soon as possible.

When it comes to the second question, 1Password should be able to remember the account you chose during the first step. Is this consistently not happening for you?

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

Regarding my second question, 1Password never remembers the account I just searched for. I always have to retype the account's name in order to have 1P enter the password on the second form page.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rlf:

I cannot reproduce this here: 1Password remembers the correct account when I try it. Is your 1Password mini set to show you Suggestions under its dropdown menu, or is the selection currently set to "All Items" when this happens?

I am also on 1Password 7.4.1 and Chrome 79 by the way, so it seems like we are using the same setup. I am also using extension version 4.7.5.90 for completeness (you didn't mention it in your post, in case you wanted to check what you are running against my setup).

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

Thank you for your response. How do I check what 1Password mini is set to? When I click the pulldown for Search 1Password in the Mac version of the app, it's set to "Search Major Fields" but I don't think that's what you're referring to.

What extension version are you referring to? I don't "live" in 1Password so I'm not so familiar every nook and cranny.

As I tried to look for the information you asked for, a couple of things occurred to me. For one, I think search would be much more useful if the default search only acted on the very first field in each type of item we create because the term we put in that field is what we, the users, think of when we're trying to search for something. What did we name an item? That's what we look for. After that, any advanced search could be a search in all major fields or all fields all together.

The other thing, and this really bugs me, is that when I open the 1P app on my Mac, due to the way I've resized the app, I see eleven items and over half of them are these Password items that you folks like to show by default. My 1Password, when I open it, doesn't look like one 1P as you depict it on the "/tour" page. That page shows a bunch of web logins with nice-looking icons. I see a bunch of unnecessary Password (with the key icon) items and it looks like a mess. The user should be able to choose which types of items they want to see by default. And all other items should be searchable, by default, by what's in the content for the first (and only the first field). If something can't be found with a default search, then the user can do an advanced search. That's just my $.02.

Thanks again. I apologize if I sound cross but 1Password is probably one of the most important applications I run. It holds all of my most important information so I expect more from it than other applications. It shows great promise but I still think it has some significant problems.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlf - 1Password 7 for Mac has a new panel in Preferences. Click 1Password > Preferences > Mini, and you'll see a set of options for what the mini should open to. You can check what version of 1Password extension for Chrome you're using by visiting chrome://extensions. 4.5.7.90 is the current stable build. However, there's a new beta build which you can access if you're willing to install beta software. To be clear, this is the same version we've submitted for review for the stable channel, but approval for that takes longer -- last one took between two and three weeks, if I recall correctly. The beta version of 1Password extension for Chrome can be downloaded at this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-beta-desktop-ap/phicbbndgmmpogmijjkbmdhpioaieaha -- just make sure you disable the stable extension before you try to use this one, and you should solve your first issue.

You can set what's visible in 1Password by a couple of means: the vault to open to can be set in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults > Always open to, and if you select Category > Logins in the sidebar, 1Password should open to that instead of the All Items view. Hope that's helpful.

This discussion has been closed.