Won't stay logged in; no pass through between plugin and desktop app

So many things inferior in 1p7 from predecessor but since this is the immediate deal killer i'll start here: I am constantly being asked to sign in to 1p7. There are two issues, and that's the first, the only password prompt I have selected is "lock on sleep." I used to have "lock on idle" checked with 90 minutes as the parameter, but have unchecked that. I am absolutely certain that the Mac has not slept, nor been idle for 90 minutes -- yet I am asked to log in repeatedly.

Second problem with login, is there does not seem to be a pass through between the browser extension and the full desktop app. IE, I'm logging into a website and have to log in to the browser extenstion. 5 minutes later with no sleep or idle, I have the need to log in to the full app -- and have to log in again separately. I really hope I'm missing a setting here, because this just seems straight up unacceptable.

(As a general aside, 1P7 routinely misses fields in forms that i never had a problem with in 6 and below: never. Zip code? Forget it; 50% at best. Really dissatisfied with 1P7 overall, and I see others are as well. But if I can't get the "password" issue resolved, I'll definitely be moving on; I'd be better off with notepad at this point; for real. PS: I'm a longstanding, power user, early adopter, etc. who desperately regrets decision against instinct to move off of 1P6 with wifi network sync {no net exposure}.)

Please tell me how to not have to sign in repeatedly and how when I sign in to the extension to have that pass through to the app. If I can fix that, I'll move on to the other stuff.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: X1.17.0
OS Version: Mac OS 10.15.2
Sync Type: 1P7 Web

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

If you're on a Mac, you can use 1Password X beta and 1Password direct download beta (rather than the App Store download) to get desktop integration.

1Password X exists as a completely independent installation of 1Password, and doesn't need a desktop app to be installed at all for it to function.

• @prltm3

Thanks for the assist @plttn

As plttn mentioned, using the Mac beta and the 1Password X beta, really makes like more natural, in my opinion. You may wish to give it a look. More details on the beta can be found here. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101231/introducing-desktop-app-integration-for-mac/p1

• To reaffirm, you must use the beta of both products for the desktop integration to work correctly.

If the betas are not your cup of tea, then I would suggest tweaking your settings for 1Password X. https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/#manage-your-settings

• prltm3
    prltm3
    Community Member

Thanks for the responses I do appreciate it. Disheartening that I would need to run not 1 but 2 different betas to get the same functionality I had before I upgraded to the new platform, which really is core functionality imho. I mean, the whole concept behind the product is to decrease the burden of passwords. Seems like a glaring oversight. I've been a 1P user since 2012 and its a bummer, but 1P has lost its way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020

@prltm3:

If you prefer the old app behavior, you can use the regular extension instead, the one you are used to. It sounds like 1Password X (our newest extension) might not be the best choice for you, based on your preferences.

• platypusman
    platypusman
    Community Member

I have the same issue. It used to work, now it doesn't. Signing in to the app doesn't sign in to browser extensions, and vice versa. Very annoying.

I'm willing to uninstall the extension and re-install an older version if that will solve the problem. But it's not clear to me from that link what to download, or what is meant by the "regular extension" - @prltm3 can you clarify? Also does it work with 1Password 7 Mac application using the subscription account, and does it work with Safari browser?

thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@platypusman:

I have the same issue. It used to work, now it doesn't. Signing in to the app doesn't sign in to browser extensions, and vice versa. Very annoying.

It sounds like you installed 1Password X in your browser. 1Password X does not communicate with the desktop application, it is an independent extension that you can use without having to install anything else separately.

If you would like your extension to follow the lock settings of the main app, you should use the companion browser extension instead, or upgrade to 1Password X beta and 1Password for Mac beta so you can use the new desktop app integration feature (if you prefer to continue using 1Password X).

• platypusman
    platypusman
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

I don't really understand any of this - it used to be simple, now everything is confusing. But I will download the new beta I guess. Thanks

Edit: I am using the Mac App Store version so this isn't the best option

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@platypusman:

The summary is that you have the choice to use two extensions: the traditional one, and the new 1Password X. The traditional one behaves as you wish, but the new one is an independent extension that does not communicate with the desktop app. Unless you install 1Password X beta and 1Password for Mac beta, where we added communication between the extension and the app even in our latest 1Password X extension.

If there is anything specific you would like us to clarify though, please let us know and we will be happy to do that!

• platypusman
    platypusman
    Community Member

Thank you, I've re-installed the companion browser extension now.

This is very odd by the way:

"Desktop App Integration is a major new feature which we’ll eventually be rolling out to all customers, but we wanted our beta friends to be the first to try it out."

( https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101231/introducing-desktop-app-integration-for-mac/p1 )

It had always worked this way in the past, until this new version broke it. Similarly, it used to always ask if you wanted to save your password, now it doesn't. (But that's a topic for another thread...)

• It had always worked this way in the past, until this new version broke it

It isn't a new version so much as it is a different product. :)

Ben

• platypusman
    platypusman
    Community Member

From a customer's point of view... How is it a "different product"?

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

From a customer's point of view... How is it a "different product"?

They're two different extensions to do two separate things. X exists because there's some platforms where the desktop app isn't available at all, making the companion extension useless. X also only works with 1Password.com accounts and has inline filling.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for chiming in, @plttn!

@platypusman – The above comment is exactly right. We offer two different extensions, 1Password X and the desktop-dependent 1Password extension. They are made for different use cases, but there is definitely some overlap as well. It's based on personal preference, though, and it sounds like you prefer the desktop-dependent 1Password extension. You're welcome to stick with that one. :)

• prltm3
    prltm3
    Community Member

@platypusman is right, it's a tough sell to tell us "it's a different product" when the name is the same and of course the entire purpose of the app is the same. Support is correct also, since it's a total rewrite, it's technically a new product. The gap is the product folks now realizing that breaking integration between the extension and the desktop app was a huge customer dissatisfier. I would wager that many many people find this obnoxious, they just do we I've been doing all year, grumble and type their password yet another time rather than take the time to come here and post/research. (I have to log in to 1P so frequently, and there are now so many glitches with the way it does/does not remember either the full data set or elements of the data set, if there were another really good option I would take it.) I followed the link above to the "old" extension and saw the links to X -- and there's no mention of it being beta. Is X a beta product? Thanks for making this more clear.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@prltm3:

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us! A lot of us also relied on desktop app integration in 1Password X, so we definitely feel the pain :) The good news is that the developers are working to bring the integration back in an even more stable way ;)

I followed the link above to the "old" extension and saw the links to X -- and there's no mention of it being beta. Is X a beta product?

1Password X is not a beta product itself, but we also offer a beta version of it (1Password X beta). We offer betas for every 1Password client, and the 1Password X browser extension is not exception from this point of view.

• prltm3
    prltm3
    Community Member

Went for the companion extension and pretty darn lame and I'm guessing you know what I mean. In re-reading above, it seems that if I want the integration back between desktop and browser, and I'm opting for X, then I must use the beta version.

>> The traditional one behaves as you wish, but the new one is an independent extension that does not communicate with the desktop app. Unless you install 1Password X beta and 1Password for Mac beta, where we added communication between the extension and the app even in our latest 1Password X extension. <<

That's all the way back to May so I thought I'd ask again -- if I want the 1PX and 1Pmac, am I on a beta? Also, is 1P for Mac different than 1P7 which I'm on now? Really miss the 1P6 experience - desktop integrated with browser, all secure on my own mac and syncing wirelessly over my network between my mac and iphone and ipad without the exposure of the cloud .

• 1Password for Mac and 1Password X each offer both stable and beta versions, as Ana mentioned. 1Password for Mac is the name of a specific app/product; 1Password 7 is just that particular version of that app, i.e., 1Password 7 for Mac. Without knowing your actual versions we can't say whether you're on the beta versions or not.

The 1Password desktop app extension coupled with 1Password 7 offers the same experience you know from 1Password 6, only improved leaps and bounds. 1Password for Mac still offers the WLAN server, but syncing to a 1Password account is the most secure and reliable way to use 1Password, so if you now have a 1Password membership, I wouldn't move back, were I in your shoes. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.