To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

There's no migration path for Personal to Family plans

Options
ruu
ruu
Community Member

We just upgraded from Personal to Family plan. The onboarding from two individual plans to the single Family plan was pretty awful.

There currently isn't a way to migrate seamlessly or import your vaults as they are, this definitely could be improved.

Also it seems there is not support for additional 'private' vaults for users. You cannot make additional vaults as a member of a Family that don't have the ability for a Family Organiser to control access to it.

Having named my primary Vault prior to migrating to Family it is disappointing to see that this name is now no longer editable? What purpose does that serve? Especially since the name I had previously is different from your default naming and works fine still?

Lastly, there is a wonderful collection of icons available on MacOS that don't seem to exist on any other version of the app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ruu,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this feedback.

There currently isn't a way to migrate seamlessly or import your vaults as they are, this definitely could be improved.

There is indeed some manual work that has to be done, e.g. creating the vaults in the destination account and then moving / copying the data over.

Also it seems there is not support for additional 'private' vaults for users. You cannot make additional vaults as a member of a Family that don't have the ability for a Family Organiser to control access to it.

That is correct. There is a level of trust that needs to exist between family members and family organizers. If you can't trust your organizers to not add themselves to vaults they have no business in you may wish to reconsider being in a 1Password Families membership where they are organizers.

Having named my primary Vault prior to migrating to Family it is disappointing to see that this name is now no longer editable? What purpose does that serve? Especially since the name I had previously is different from your default naming and works fine still?

The name of the Private vault was never intended to be editable. There was a version of macOS that incorrectly allowed the name to be changed, but this bug has long since been fixed. Because the Private vault is unique and special it arguably makes some sense to have a fixed name assigned to it.

Lastly, there is a wonderful collection of icons available on MacOS that don't seem to exist on any other version of the app.

Rich Icons should be available on every platform, as far as I'm aware, but you may need to turn them on. For example, in 1Password for iOS, the setting is under Settings > General > Rich Icons. If you find you're missing them on a particular platform please let us know and we can investigate further.

There is definitely some valid criticism here which hopefully we can address as we continue to iterate. There are also some differences of opinion. We'll continue to evaluate all of the opinions at play and work to move the service forward. Thank you again.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.