1Password is creating Reused Passwords

rlf
rlf
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for probably a decade now and I'm growing increasingly frustrated with it. For one thing, I'm trying to clean up my Watchtower warnings. I see that I have 99 reused passwords. But when I inspect them, I'm seeing that in most cases, 1Password is flagging the password record (the record that shows a key icon) as a reused password for the associated login item (the record that shows the icon for a website). As I understand it, these password records are created automatically when I create a new login item. So why does 1P flag them as reused passwords? And to make things even more confusing, I'm finding password records in which the password doesn't even match the password in the associated login record.

Search is also a mess. I have almost 700 items in my 1P database and finding any particular item quickly and easily is almost impossible because when I search, it searches all major fields by default plus these password items which are of no use to me at all. They just make it harder to find what I'm looking for because they mirror the login item I am looking for. Why not make the default search what's in the Login field and only that field to cut down on my search results? Then, if the users want to search for another field, they can select a different search option from the "Search 1Password" pulldown menu. For example, if I'm search for one of my ten Gmail accounts, when I search for Gmail I get every login that uses a Gmail account as my login in addition to my actual Gmail accounts! This is ridiculous.

I'm really reaching the point where I'm ready to export all my passwords, cancel my 1Password account, move to a different password manager, and start over. 1Password has become too difficult to use.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: 1Password cloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlf:

As I understand it, these password records are created automatically when I create a new login item. So why does 1P flag them as reused passwords?

Normally, 1Password should remove the Password item once you add the same password to the corresponding Login item. When this does not happen (for example when you refuse to update the existing item when the 1Password popup appears), the password will remain there to avoid losing it. If you then update that Login item manually later on, you need to make sure to also remove the generated password, or Watchtower will flag that as a duplicate.

For example, if I'm search for one of my ten Gmail accounts, when I search for Gmail I get every login that uses a Gmail account as my login in addition to my actual Gmail accounts! This is ridiculous.

If you are telling 1Password to search everything, this is how search is supposed to work. It needs to return every item that has the text you are looking for. If you want specific searching capabilities, you can use the advanced search options, which we built exactly for that:

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

OK, thanks for the reply. It sounds like you're saying that I can filter Watchtower by Reused Passwords and then delete any Password item that contained the same (duplicate) password as its associated Login item. I've done this for a couple of items (after writing down the username and password in another file for safekeeping), so I'll see what happens.

I've never used the advanced search before so I will try that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlf - let us know if you run into any troubles deleting older, duplicative password items that are already also stored in Login items. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.