Is there a way to sync the *default* 1Pass vault?

haatveit88
haatveit88
Community Member
edited January 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I would really like to keep a hardcopy of my 1pass vault, however there doesn't seem to be a menu option to sync the "default" (named Personal) vault to a folder so that I can keep a real hardcopy. I see that I can create a new vault, and sync that one - but that's not what I want. I want all my passwords etc that I create, no matter where from, to get synced, by default, whenever my PC is on. Is that possible somehow?

Also I find it weird that the Settings on the desktop app doesn't seem to know I have the Firefox extension installed (doesn't list any browsers as "connected") - is that because I'm using the 1Password X extension? If so, I find that a bit weird, since that's the extension that I got recommended by default, by 1Password, why is that the case if it doesn't integrate properly with the desktop app yet? Just seems odd to me.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Syncing to a folder really wouldn't equate to keeping a hard copy, @haatveit88. Ignoring for the moment that it can't be done with a 1Password membership anyway, what it does is create an OPVault file in the folder you choose. This is effectively the same as the local database you have by default (located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password). Format is different, but it's an encrypted database of everything you've saved in 1Password, just like that OPVault would be. This encrypted database also already syncs automatically every time you make a change – to the local database, 1password.com, and to your other devices. If what you're after is a copy of your data on each of your devices, which is what folder sync would provide, you've got that already. If you're looking for something else, though, let me know and we can consider what options there might be.

As for 1Password X, it's recommended for a number of rather subjective reasons, but also because it's all but guaranteed to work regardless of the machine you're using it on. One bit of trouble with the companion extension (and potentially direct desktop app integration generally) is that there are a number of environments where it just won't work. Whether something simple like using an operating system without a desktop app available (like Linux), or something more complicated like policy restrictions on a work PC, one of the most common issues we dealt with before 1Password X were environments where 1Password wasn't usable at all or where complicated extra setup was needed to get things working smoothly. Since 1Password X lives in your browser and doesn't need the desktop app, it solves those problems almost 100% of the time so it's the best default when we can't know what environment you're working in.

Now, 1Password X was originally designed as something we thought would primarily be used in those cases – as a fallback if the typical setup wouldn't work for you. Over time, though, it became clear that quite a few folks just preferred it so we stopped emphasizing the specific use-cases so much as giving folks the option of whatever they feel works best for them. Personally, I am a fan of 1Password X. I'm often using our companion extension since testing and troubleshooting its functionality on Windows remains a big part of my job, but when I'm just using 1Password like any other customer, I use 1Password X because I prefer its filling experience and find it easier to use with the keyboard. I still use my desktop app from time to time as there are a few tasks I still prefer doing there, but like many of our customers, most of my 1Password usage consists of saving and filling in my browser so I see 1Password X – and just 1Password X – probably 90% of the time. Integration would be nice, I suppose. I miss things like the option to open an item in my desktop app from my extension and I might maybe adjust my auto-lock settings to be a bit more aggressive if I could use Windows Hello in my browser, but in practice there aren't a ton of problems I have that integration would solve and I think the same tends to prove true for a significant number of folks. Of course, not everyone is me (or anything like me) so for those who find integration to be more important, we've still got the companion extension around and it's always up to you which you use. :chuffed:

• haatveit88
    haatveit88
    Community Member

Thank you for the very detailed response! The extension discussion makes sense, and you're right - I am not really missing any features from the lack of browser<->desktop integration, I just throught it was kind of weird and I didn't entirely understand if it was because of the difference between the companion extension versus 1Pass X, or if I had done something wrong during setup. I understand now, and I agree that 1Pass X is very nice to use!

As for the syncing thing - I guess what I'm trying to achieve is just the ability to keep a safe, separate, copy of the default vault, on a device (or backup service) of my choosing. It's not that I'm expecting 1Pass to fall out of the sky and cease to exist suddenly, but as I'm sure you folks know very well, a backup is not really a backup unless you have multiple different backup locations. Although I have 1Pass on my phone as well, I don't consider that a backup, and I don't think any sane person should consider their personal devices like that any kind of backup. What if the impossible happens - 1Pass loses all its data (and all its redundant backups), my computer and my phone is lost in a house fire - I don't want to be screwed in that case. I want a vault I can bring out of the backup archives and open using my master password, regardless of whether the 1Pass service even exists anymore. I know I would need the 1Pass application to open it - but that is a much smaller issue than relying on the continued existence of someone elses cloud service.

This is all very hypothetical, but we're talking about hundreds of passwords and personal details - I think people have good reason to be paranoid about the safekeeping of those things, especially if they're going to entrust it entirely to a manager application like 1Pass, that will typically be used to replace all their weak passwords with randomly generated strong password. Even if the vault file is encrypted - having very explicit ownership of such a file offers a lot of confidence - especially if the details for how to decrypt it are openly available. Obviously the master password is needed, but the actual algorithm for decrypting it should be public, in my opinion, because then, even if 1Password and all its data vanishes from the universe, the public knowledge of how to decrypt the vault file means all your stuff is still accessible, even if you have to ask a programmer to write a tool to unlock it for you.

Does that make any sense?

If the file in %APPDATA% is such a file - then that's great, I can keep that backed up and feel safe. I'm guessing it's the SQLITE file?

• Yea, the extension thing does seem a bit off at a glance for folks who do choose to use the desktop app, @haatveit88, but hey, if it works it works, right? I'll sometimes suggest workflow changes when folks are having trouble, but there's plenty of odd stuff I do with 1Password because, hey, it works for me, and I'll never begrudge others the same. Weird doesn't have to be bad, right?

So, backups. Personally, I tend to focus on redundancy generally. If you have a file (1Password or not) that you want to make sure you always have access to, there are various different schools of thought on where you have to have a copy and how many copies are needed for that to be "enough". But, as you noted, there are no guarantees in life. So the real question is how much redundancy you need to feel comfortable you'll have access when you need it. I think something local and something off-site (like your data on 1Password.com) is likely something we'd all agree on as a bare minimum, but what more is needed is a totally personal choice. I tend to be pretty simple in my requirements. I have enough devices in my life the likelihood I lose all of them is essentially nil and if ever I managed to lose every last one, passwords would probably be the least of my problems. As such, I'm content with the status quo, but that's doesn't mean everyone is (or should be).

Babble aside, yes is the short answer – that sqlite should do you. I'd note a caveat, however, that from time to time the structure of the database does change so the only app guaranteed to be able to open a given database is the one that created it. In practice, this doesn't change every version (or even close to that), but the safest thing to do is to note in your backups which version created that database so that you have a record of what app can open it if you find the latest can't at some point in the future. I would also emphasize (and you may do this as a matter of course), that you should copy the database you're restoring to the proper location rather than moving it. This isn't officially something we support as a backup method so there's no telling how the latest 1Password might treat an old database it can't read. As such, it's best not to give it your only backup and err on the side of caution.

Hopefully that has you covered, but if you have additional questions, I'm happy to help. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.