how do I change a computer from "private" to "public" for 1Password? Wrong selection on setup.

When I setup a new device, I made the mistake of saying my device is "Private". I want to change it to "Public" since it is shared by other family members. How do I do this? I'm using 1Password X with the Chrome extension on a Chromebook.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how do I change a computer from "private" to "public" for 1Password?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dwhites9518! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please let us know exactly where you set your device as "Private"? Was it a setting you chose inside 1Password, or was it on your device itself?

• dwhites9518
    dwhites9518
    Community Member

It was during setup of 1Password on Chromebook. I don't know if it was a 1Password question or if it was a Chrome question or a Chromebook question. I'm guessing it was a 1Password question since it was during setup of that app. It determines if I need to provide master password or not to access content within 1Password X.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@dwhites9518 – Does the following screenshot look familiar?

You'll always need to provide your Master Password to unlock 1Password X, but checking that box would prevent your Secret Key being stored inside local storage. If you're looking to unlock 1Password X a bit less frequently, you're welcome to adjust your auto-lock settings on the 1Password X Settings page (right click the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar and select Settings). Let me know if that helps!

This discussion has been closed.