why do I have 2 vaults?

eveningclouds
eveningclouds
Community Member

I've just upgraded from 1P6 to 1P7. It was not simple but I finally got the desktop app working and created an account online. I was having problems with the iOS app so deleted it and reinstalled it.
In looking at the iPhone settings, I see I have 2 vaults, one Personal, one Primary. The Personal has more items in it than the Primary. The Primary is the Dropbox vault, which is my preferred way of syncing.
Why are there two vaults. I want to be sure that new passwords are all being saved to the same vault.
I'd delete the Personal vault, but the settings dont' tell me where it is.

1Password Version: iOS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @eveningclouds

Personal is the vault to keep as it is part of your membership, and Primary is not. Instructions for deleting the Primary vault from each device can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• eveningclouds
    eveningclouds
    Community Member

Are you talking about the menubar in the Preferences of the App itself/ I don't see any such choice for vaults in the browser when I sign in. That is, I can't find a 'private' vault to delete.

I do find a folder 1PasswordData with a file '1Password.opvault". Does that get deleted?

Where is the vault located exactly? I assume I don't need to be connected to the internet for 1Password to be able to access information like notes, is that right?

I have found this entire process of upgrading from 6 to 7 preposterously confusing with very little working as expected based on the instructions, all of which I tried to follow. I guess it is challenging, but my experience has been very miserable. And I still have my iPad to figure out this evening!

• Are you talking about the menubar in the Preferences of the App itself/

Yes.

That is, I can't find a 'private' vault to delete.

"Private" cannot be deleted. "Primary" is the one to delete.

Where is the vault located exactly?

Which vault?

I assume I don't need to be connected to the internet for 1Password to be able to access information like notes, is that right?

Correct. Regardless of how you use 1Password your data is cached on your devices that have the 1Password app set up, so you can continue to access your data in the app even when offline.

I have found this entire process of upgrading from 6 to 7 preposterously confusing with very little working as expected based on the instructions, all of which I tried to follow. I guess it is challenging, but my experience has been very miserable. And I still have my iPad to figure out this evening!

I'm sorry for the difficulty. Once we get through this hiccup it should be smooth sailing. The migration process should've automatically deleted the Primary vault, which seems to be the main source of confusion, but there is an option to opt-out of that, which you may have taken.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.