Family Membership - Sign In Issues

terryter
terryter
Community Member

I upgraded to family membership a few weeks ago. I have the app on my Mac and my iPhone, but wanted to add the Windows app as well. I got to the sign-in part of the Windows app, and it asked for the usual - email, secret key and Master Password. I entered the information, but it wouldn't work. I then checked my iPhone, and even though the app works and open with Face ID, when I went to the accounts, it wouldn't accept my Master Password. I used the Master Password this morning on my Mac and it opened the program just fine, so I'm not sure what I'm missing trying to use it on a PC or even why my phone works when the Master Password won't work there.

1Password Version: 7.4.4 (on iPhone)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @terryter!

I entered the information, but it wouldn't work.

What is the exact error message that you are seeing when your login attempt fails?

• terryter
    terryter
    Community Member

I entered all of it - the email, secret code and master password. It returns an "invalid login information" message. Oddly, even though 1Password is working on my phone, and is synced with the Mac (using the Dropbox vault), if I try to add the account scanning the QR code from the Mac by using the "add another device" menu, I get the same "invalid login information" message on the iPhone.

Also, under the "Account" tab on the iPhone, it gives me an option to sign in with my 1Password account, as if it's not already signed in. Again, I'm not sure how I can be using it on the iPhone (and at home) unless I'm already signed into the account. It's all very confusing.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@terryter:

Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like you are not entering the correct Master Password for your Families account. Are you able to login to your account on the https://my.1password.com website instead than in the app?

Again, I'm not sure how I can be using it on the iPhone (and at home) unless I'm already signed into the account.

That's because you are not syncing through your account, but through Dropbox instead, as you mentioned. So it sounds like you did create an account, but you are not currently using it inside the 1Password apps. Once we make sure you are indeed able to login to it, we will be able to get that setup sorted out.

• terryter
    terryter
    Community Member

So, I can login into the app on the Mac with my master password (or to open it when I'm using a browser), but I'm now at work at tried logging in with the link you provided and can't log in with that same master password.

• @terryter

Okay, that would indicate that you unlock 1Password for Mac with a different Master Password than the one for your 1Password Families account. This is possible, but not a configuration we recommend (for exactly the reason that it causes the problem you're running into). The way this happens is if you have a "Primary" vault on the Mac. Here is what I'd recommend:

1. Look in 1Password for Mac for a Login item for 1Password.com. Check the password stored on that item. That should be the Master Password that you need for your 1Password Families account.
    2. Once you have verified that is the correct password, and memorized it, use the vault switcher at the top left of the app to switch to your Personal or Private vault (not Primary)
    3. Use Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vault to Account to migrate any data remaining in the Primary vault and delete the Primary vault
    4. If the Primary vault is not deleted, please see these instructions: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Once complete you should unlock 1Password for Mac with your family account password, which is also what you'll need to sign into 1Password on new / additional devices. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• terryter
    terryter
    Community Member

I'll give it a try when I'm back home later. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes :+1:

• terryter
    terryter
    Community Member

So I cannot find a login on the Mac app for a families account. I have 3 logins - 1Password 5, 1Password 6 and for this forum. Obviously, only the forum password is a recent entry - the other two are old. What now?

• @terryter

That leads to a few questions:

1. Are you signed into your 1Password Families account within 1Password for Mac? You can check in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts.
    2. Do you have a copy of your Emergency Kit? We recommend printing one when you establish your account: Get to know your Emergency Kit
    3. Is anyone other than yourself a Family Organizer on the membership? If so, are they still able to log in at https://my.1password.com/ ?

Ben

• terryter
    terryter
    Community Member

Ben, I believe I am signed into the Families account. When I upgraded to a Families account, it was directly from within the 1Password for Mac app I was already using. Also, in the Preferences>Account section, it says "Terry's Family."

I think the problem is with the Master Password. I can sign into the 1Password Mac app using my password. However, when I go to sign into 1Password.com, it won't accept the same password. Likewise, I can open the app on my iPhone using the same password I use on my Mac, but if try to add the Family account, using the Secret Key (from the Emergency I created after upgrading to Family Account) from the Family account, it won't accept the password.

No one else is a Family Organizer. My emergency kit has my email address in it; the login at 1Password.com shows "Terry's Family" at the top level, with my email and my wife's email below.

Does this help at all? Thanks for your efforts and Happy New Year!

Terry.

• Thanks Terry, that does help clarify the situation, but unfortunately it doesn't get us any closer to resolution. It sounds as though you used a different Master Password when signing up for your 1Password Families membership account (perhaps because the one you currently use to unlock 1Password is too short?), and it also sounds like that Master Password was not recorded. The best I could suggest at this point would be to keep trying to remember the password. The only other recourse would be to create a new 1Password Families membership, move all of your and your family's data over to it, and then delete the current membership. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if it does we can help you through the process.

Ben

• terryter
    terryter
    Community Member

Well, the plot thickens. When I upgraded to the Family Account, I must have used my wife's email (although I thought I was just sending her an invite). So when I tried to sign in using the Family Account Emergency Kit info, it worked - to a degree. My Safari browser had a password saved, which worked and took me to 1password.com/home and a "Welcome to 1Password" page with Step One, Step Two, for setup, and showed an identity icon for "VN" (my wife's initials. That vault appears to be empty. That said, when I try to go to the app for Mac, which works for my value (I guess it's "my" vault), and add account for the Family Account using her Family email, secret key, etc., I can't get any password to work to add the account. She says she never used the app on her phone, so she has no idea about a password for it. Is there a way to migrate the vault from my account to the Family account?

I must sound like an idiot, but I actually have a fair amount of experience using apps, websites, etc. I do appreciate all your help.

Terry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@terryter:

I think the problem here is simply a forgotten Master Password for the account. You said that you are able to login to the account in Safari since it saved the password. If that is still the case, you can login to your account and change your Master Password directly in the browser.

This discussion has been closed.