Some of the very basics when first using 1P

Options
jmjm
jmjm
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Lounge

Still havent decided on adopting 1P. I am trying to know more before trialing it. Thanks for your patience.

1. I have never had a Drop Box account and for such users of 1P I would like to know what you recommend as the preferable back up option?

2. As one who has never used a PWM I can imagine that it will take awhile to add log ins to one's 1P database. Now for a "nuts and bolts" q: Say for this scenario ie my first log in with 1P installed (on Windows and I would think also as a Chrome extension at the same time). And there are two fields ie Username and PW. Username is DARK and the (very poor) password I have been using "forever" is ABCD. So as I have seen in a video, conveniently 1P will offer to save this login ie DARK and ABCD for the website X. Now I would imagine that 1P will "recommend" that ABCD be changed; and 1P can generate a strong replacement password. BUT for me to implement this new much better pw I first need to go into my profile settings (or the like) at the website in question (X) and paste the 1P generated pw over the existing ABCD and be sure the website accepts the new profile. And then either paste the new pw into the existing 1P setup or......

Do I have this right?

I know this is very basic stuff that I am wanting to know but I appreciate any help and (video) links you can provide that shows the initial implementation of 1P i.e. accumulating logins for 1P for a new user of any PWM i.e. so there is no importing of PWs and such from another previously used manager.

Thank you for your expertise.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jmjm

No worries; these are great questions.

have never had a Drop Box account and for such users of 1P I would like to know what you recommend as the preferable back up option?

We recommend 1Password membership, which includes automatic offsite backups as one of the features:

About 1Password membership

and 1P can generate a strong replacement password. BUT for me to implement this new much better pw I first need to go into my profile settings (or the like) at the website in question (X) and paste the 1P generated pw over the existing ABCD and be sure the website accepts the new profile. And then either paste the new pw into the existing 1P setup or......

Correct. We have a guide that walks through the process a little more explicitly here:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

We recommend 1Password membership, which includes automatic offsite backups as one of the features:

Ben, "offsite backup" means a (daily) backup to...1P servers? And this BU includes all the settings and vaults containing ones passwords? (I guess this is described in more detail at the link you provided)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2020
    Options

It is, yes. :) There is also additional information on backups here:

https://support.1password.com/backups/

Your 1Password account is backed up automatically
    Everything in your 1Password account is automatically backed up every day:

all the vaults stored in your 1Password account
    all the items stored in your 1Password account
    This means you don’t have to worry if you lose your devices. To access your data from anywhere, sign in to your account on 1Password.com or sign in on a new device.

You can also restore previous versions of items.

Ben

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe this will be it.....today ;):

This daily BU you are describing will only happen after the 30 day free trial?

• Ben
    Options

No, it starts happening as soon as you create your membership. :)

Ben

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. So how do I "see" that a backup has happened?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmjm:

The most visual way is to use the Item History feature ;)

This discussion has been closed.