Unable to import 1Password 4 keychain to 1Password 7 family account

sgaide
sgaide
Community Member

Hello,

Yesterday i invited my sister to our 1Password online family account.
She was using 1Password 4 with a local vault/keychain (1Password.agilekeychain).
We have installed 1Password 7, and connected to the new family account without any problem.

But:

• 1Password 7 did not ask us to move the local items to a vault
  • 1Password 4 has been deinstalled during the installation of 1Password 4, so i can not export the items from the old local vault (1pif file)
  • When i try to import the Keychain (1Password.agilekeychain) from 1Password 7 on her mac, it starts to import the items, but get stuck at 2/111 items ! tried multiple times, no success
  • I tried to import her old keychain using my more recent mac, to a new vault, but get an error telling me that no vault is present locally to import these items (even if i have created a special vault for this, and selected it before the import).

What can we do to get her old passwords imported into a new vault on the new family account ?

thanks a lot for your help,

Sebastien

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @sgaide

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you're having getting upgraded to a modern version of 1Password. Usually when we talk about 1Password 4 we're talking about 1Password 4 for Windows, but it sounds like you may have been using 1Password 4 for Mac. Is that correct? If so, did you have 1Password 4 for Mac set up to sync anywhere (e.g. Dropbox)?

Please let me know. We can troubleshoot further from there.

Ben

• sgaide
    sgaide
    Community Member

hi Ben, thanks for taking the time to help me.
    Yes you are right i’m talking about 1Password 4 for mac.
    Sync was not set up and 1Password 4 has been uninstalled during the installation of version 7. But i have the old keychain file.
    Do you think i should reinstall version 4 and do an export ?
    What could cause the import problem in you opinion? it starts as if it is ok but stop after importing only 2 items...

thanks again.

Sébastien

• I think likely the problem is that the import process is expecting data from 1Password 6, rather than 1Password 4. A lot changed between those versions. It is hard to say what exactly the situation might be as I don't imagine we really envisioned or tested for folks still being on v4 when v7 was released. I do think your best bet is likely going to be to install v4, export to 1PIF, and then try importing that in v7.

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• sgaide
    sgaide
    Community Member

Ok, i can try that, but i need a 1Password 4 for mac installer, is it possible to download that nowadays ?
    Will it uninstall the 1Password 7 app ?

thanks again for your help,

Sebastien

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sgaide:

Yes, you can download it from here. It will not uninstall 1Password 7.

• sgaide
    sgaide
    Community Member

Hello,

thanks all for your help, the problem is now solved.

i have been able to re-install 1Password 4 and retrieve all the items of the keychain.
    first i have exported them using the 1Pif format, but again the import was stuck after 2 imported items in 1Password 7!
    then i have exported my keychain using the csv format, and 1Password 7 has imported everything.

thanks again,

Sébastien

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear everything worked out well in the end :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.