Syncing to cloud services

Bagsy
Bagsy
Community Member

I note that in the iOS app I can only sync to iCloud or Dropbox. Are there any plans to allow other cloud service providers?

Comments

• Hi @Bagsy

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this question. We also offer syncing through 1Password.com as part of our 1Password membership service. We do not have plans to offer options beyond those three.

Ben

• Xero
    Xero
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

It would be nice to consider some other service besides Dropbox, since they put in a 3 device limitation to their sync service recently for free plans.

I've shifted over to OneDrive, but I would happily switch over to Google Drive too if 1Password supported either one.

• It would be nice to consider some other service besides Dropbox, since they put in a 3 device limitation to their sync service recently for free plans.

1Password.com doesn't have any limitation to the number of supported devices.

I've shifted over to OneDrive, but I would happily switch over to Google Drive too if 1Password supported either one.

Our focus is on making our tailor-made solution the best it can be, and so I don't see us adding other generic 3rd party services anytime in the foreseeable future. I'd suggest taking a look at what membership offers:

About 1Password membership

Ben

• dusdh
    dusdh
    Community Member

Good Evening Ben,

On Mac and on Windows it is possible to store the tresor as an file (json), which I can sync via my own intranet server. Why is this Feature not available on iOS and Android? This would also solve the request from Bagsy and Xero.

• Hi @dusdh,

That is not a solution that we support, no. You can read about the available sync options here:

Sync your 1Password data

Ben

• jace88
    jace88
    Community Member

In light of the limitations imposed by Dropbox now (max 3 devices on free accounts), is there any chance you'll be looking to support any other cloud services eg OneDrive or Google Drive (especially as many of us already do pay for subscriptions such as Office 365).

I appreciate this detracts from the revenue potential from the 1Password subscription service, but out of sheer spite I'd be happy to pay another one off amount for 1Password if you guys were to introduce this in the next version across your platforms.

• We're not currently considering additional cloud vendors for 1Password. We truly believe that 1Password membership is going to offer the best experience in this regard and so rather than water that down by spending our time building support for 3rd parties we're focused on making membership even better. :+1:

Ben

• Lefeot
    Lefeot
    Community Member

Hello Ben, why for god´s sake do you (1Password) refuse to implement syncing with private clouds since many years now??? Managing passwords is all about trust. We HAVE to trust your encryption model; if we don't, we shouldn't use your software. But we want to decide, how and where we store our vaults. I WILL NOT use any company-owned cloud for this! The only cloud I trust - and many many users too - is my personal cloud which is under my own control.
    You either seem not to understand this or you have a hidden agenda which would reduce all the trust we put in your software dramatically!
    Other companies have no problem at all to enable a WebDAV sync.
    Please react.

Greetings, Lefeot

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Lefeot:

Our development effort is focused on our 1Password.com sync infrastructure, which we believe is the best option for most users. If you prefer to use a third-party sync method instead of 1Password.com, you can sync your data with iCloud or with Dropbox, so you are not forced to trust us if you don't want to.

If you don't trust any third-party cloud sync, you can also sync your data via your local network with WLAN sync so you don't have to rely on third parties, but we have no plans to add additional sync methods other than the existing ones. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but it wouldn't be fair to give you false hope.

• Lefeot
    Lefeot
    Community Member

Hello ag_ana, thank you for an honest answer.
    It is nonetheless no answer to the question why 1P doesn't go this way.
    To everyone reading this: IMPLEMENT WEBDAV SYNC!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2019

@Lefeot

The are a number of reasons we don't (and won't) implement WebDAV as a sync option for 1Password, including:

1. We tried. We actually built the feature. It didn't work well. Despite months of effort WebDAV just wasn't up to our standards. It was scrapped, and is now one of the very few things we've ever said "no, never" to. It was a painful decision to have to make, especially after spending all that time and effort on it, but it was the only reasonable choice.
    2. Configuring WebDAV sync would be the most technically complex sync option we'd be offering. We're looking to make using 1Password easier, not harder.
    3. Our focus is on 1Password.com, and that is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future. We truly believe that this is already the best sync experience for the vast majority of our customers, and we're able to accomplish a lot with it that we couldn't within the constraints of other systems. The more side projects we venture off on the less we can focus on our core features.

We will not be implementing WebDAV syncing in 1Password. I'm truly sorry if that means we're not the right solution for you. I hope you're able to find a solution that meets your needs which you can be comfortable with and confident in.

Ben

• Lefeot
    Lefeot
    Community Member

Hello Ben, thanks for explaining. I can at least understand it now.
    Meanwhile, there is a lot of other software with WebDAV-support.
    Maybe one day, you might hire a programmer who has exactly the desired expertise? That would make a difference.

Anyway, thanks for caring.
    Greetings!

• You're very welcome. I appreciate your passion for 1Password. I realize you wouldn't bother to take the time to post here if you didn't care.

While hiring could potentially negate point #1 it wouldn't have any impact on points #2 or #3. What works for other software is not necessarily a good fit for 1Password, and WebDAV is an example of something that was determined to not be a good fit for 1Password. The decision wasn't made blindly: we evaluated it, tried it, and decided it wasn't for us. I really try to avoid using the word "never," as none of us know what the future holds, but I really can't imagine any realistic confluence of events that would lead to WebDAV sync in 1Password.

Ben

• Ralph42324
    Ralph42324
    Community Member

Hi
    is there a hidden agenda?
    Acting so consistently against the needs of non-US people indicates that there are higher interests than human security in the internet.

Just let me save my vault in my own Folder.
    Like you do it with dropbox. I can not see any difference from dropbox to nextcloud to owncloud and so on....
    So let me save my vault in any folder i like. inkl. iOS.

• Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts @Ralph42324. We have a large contingent of non-US customers using 1Password.com, including our own company (1Password is Canadian). We don't have plans to do as you say, but do appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration as we move forward.

Ben

• aspens
    aspens
    Community Member

Having read this thread I must say that this is a really sad outcome for all users a Password Manager product.
    Firstly: Canada is part of the 5 Eyes countries who support the NSA agenda of surveillance. Dropbox, Apple and probably the cloud hoster of 1Password are also US companies and have to give out all data accourding to patriot act and CLOUD act.
    This means that using any of the cloud options offered by 1PW means that the most capable attacker on this planet will archive them and is going to break them using some quantum computer in the future.

As someone not willing to share even encrypted key data with these states I want to host my data myself in a place I consider right.
    It is up to me as the customer to consider how complex a solution can be for my goals to be achieved. I do not appreciate arguments as (2) above that tell me that a solution should be simple, even if it means sacrificing security for this. Who is any vendor to tell me how complex a solution can be for me to use?

For a quite expensive product, given the actual functionality that is provided, in my eyes it is a very weak statement that one cannot provide a protocol because one was unable to get it to work. Obviously there are a number of vendors out there who can make it work.

Finally, there is a way out of this problem today, since using Apple's "Files" App a lot of 3rd party apps can be integrated with no added impementation effort.

Is 1Password going to provide support for opvault files stored using Apple's "Files" app?

• @aspens

We do not have any plans to do that at this time. The Files app was never designed to sync database files like 1Password's across multiple devices. Trying to make it do so would be like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. CloudKit is Apple's solution for syncing databases, and we already have CloudKit support. While we're making efforts to make 1Password an attractive solution to as broad of an audience as we can, we understand it is never going to be able to be the perfect solution for everyone. If what you've outlined is a deal breaker for you then a different password manager is likely going to be better positioned to meet those needs. Our focus now and for the foreseeable future is on our 1Password.com membership service.

I hope you're able to find a solution that meets your needs that you're both comfortable with and confident in.

Ben

• aspens
    aspens
    Community Member

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

There is no agenda.

• Best of luck.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.