IOS - Sort by Date feature?

alantcy
alantcy
Community Member
edited January 2019 in iOS

Hi 1Password Team,

I like the Sort by Date (Modified/Created, etc) on the Mac & Windows.
It helps a lot when verifying item changes when you are managing multiple devices.
Would you be able to implement the same on Apple IOS?

Thanks,
Alan

ref: apple-2392

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:ios sort date

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @alantcy! I'm not certain how much work would be involved in making that happen, but I can tell you that there are several features (of which this is one) that are either not present at all in 1Password for iOS or just far more fully-fledged in our desktop offerings (Windows and Mac) in much the same way that iOS and Android are not as fully-fledged operating systems as Windows and macOS. Part of that has to do with processing power though that's significantly less true than it used to be, but what's more often the reason is the different use-case assumptions between the platforms. In iOS, for example, search is geared at searching and using (i.e. filling/entering) data, rather than doing in-depth editing, just because of the smaller screen real-estate and the idea that most people use their mobile device to accomplish discrete tasks rather than comprehensive ones. I'll certainly mention your request to the development team, however -- thanks for mentioning it! :)

• alantcy
    alantcy
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Thanks, glad to be part of the community of a software that I use everyday!

How about consider making it for the iPad?
    They’re getting more and more powerful nowadays and with the bigger screen, users are starting to utilize them for more complex tasks.

Looking at item count & sorting by date modified is my only way of validating that all devices are up to date.

In times when i know i will be in places where the network is sketchy or travelling offline, its a quick way for me to verify.

Thanks,
    Alan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly possible we'll add that to 1Password or iOS in the future. There are just so many hours in the day though, and a lot of other things that need doing. :)

• jaysee_au
    jaysee_au
    Community Member

I leave 1Password perpetually in date modified (newest at top) on my Mac - just as I do for every Finder window. Trying out an iPad as my portable computer, this is a big stumbling block for me. I have lots of items in my 1Password, and frequently create a few at a time. It’s really inefficient not to be able to sort by date. 🤔 Can I please add my vote to this request too?

• Not to be pedantic, but we don't count "votes," as that seems to give the wrong impression about how we implement features. We do take customer demand for something into account when determining the direction we'll take, and it is an important factor, but "the one with the most votes" doesn't necessarily "win." This is definitely something we'd like to do, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Ben

• glyph
    glyph
    Community Member

I would also like to vote for this :wink:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:lol: Thanks for letting us know your interest! ;)

• stevezoller
    stevezoller
    Community Member

After upgrading to 1PW7 Family, I got the syncing correct to your servers on our three computers. However, I just discovered that our two phones have vaults that are still syncing to Dropbox and iCloud. This means no changes to the computers have gone to the phones and no changes on the phones have gone to the computers. It’s easy to just switch the phones to sync to the same vaults as the computers on your servers. However, how do we get the changes in 1PW that we made on the phones into the computer vaults? If I could sort by 'last date modified' on the phones, this would be an easy project. As is, I need to go through almost 500 entries one-by-one on the phone to check the last date modified. I’m not looking forward to this at all.

• Hi @stevezoller

I'm sorry to hear about the snag. In 1Password for iOS there is a Settings > Advanced > Migrate Data to Your Account option which may help here. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• stevezoller
    stevezoller
    Community Member

Your suggestion may have worked but I already did the brute force method.

FYI, I quickly found strings in here going back to at least 2015 asking for a sort by date feature on phones. I use this feature very frequently on my Macs. I would sure like it on the phones as well. I know in a small company it’s always a tough decision about prioritizing work resources. But since I don’t know what wouldn’t get done if you did this, it’s easy for me to recommend a phone sort feature as a high priority upgrade.

• I would sure like it on the phones as well.

Me too. Not so much for my own use personally, but for situations like this.

I know in a small company it’s always a tough decision about prioritizing work resources.

Fortunately some of that may be changing going forward. We're growing the team, which will hopefully allow us to say 'yes' more often.

But since I don’t know what wouldn’t get done if you did this, it’s easy for me to recommend a phone sort feature as a high priority upgrade.

Indeed, and that is where we're at today.

Ben

• boffer
    boffer
    Community Member

Hello. First post here, been using 1Password for years. Appreciate the hard work that has gone into developing this app.

A quick Google search shows me that Sort By Date on iOS is something that has been requested here for several years. As a long time user (Mac, Windows, iOS) I can confirm that a Sort By Date option is by far my most desired iOS function request. To be honest it's really the only feature request I can think of.

When you search 1Password iOS and there are multiple entries there is no way to distinguish between them other than to click them one by one to find the most recent one. I have also searched for ways to batch delete older unused entries. I have found posts from others asking about this, one of your Team Members replied that there is no quick and easy way to batch delete old entires but considering they only take up a few bytes each there's no real need to do so. I agree with that logic, but then you end up with many entries for many different sites and apps. This is where a Sort By Date feature would really be useful.

Is your development team actually contemplating this feature? Is there some programming hurdle that makes this extra difficult to implement? There is no sarcasm or attitude intended whatsoever in any of this post (it's often hard to tell on the internet) I really am just curious because I think this sort by date feature would be a huge improvement to the app. Thanks for your time and for 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@boffer - thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on this feature. Yes, our dev team is contemplating this feature. :) It's among dozens of other feature requests, improvements, back-end work, OS compatibility updates, bug fixes and more, As Ben mentioned earlier, what gets worked on first, with limited available developer cycles available to us, isn't a simple matter of what most people "vote" for. Yes, additional sorting options in 1Password for iOS is definitely something we'd like to bring to a future update, but I don't have any kind of timeline to share with you regarding it at this time.

• ruftytufty
    ruftytufty
    Community Member

Ditto on the request for this feature. I, like one of the previous posters, ended up with syncing mismatched between Mac and phones, and this feature would have made finding updates on my phone really easy. As it was, it took me some time to find them all (I did see the comment above regarding the "Migrate Data" feature - but it would have taken me at least as much time to figure out whether this would help with my specific problem).

Finally - I think most people realize that companies don't solely use customer "votes" to prioritize feature additions. But, I do hope you are counting requests for features like this in some way, as it seems to me a useful indicator how how important this is to customers.

• graphex
    graphex
    Community Member

Adding my, uh, non-vote gauge-of-customer-demand entry to the ever growing list of other ...demonstrations of customer interest in this feature. I honestly have tried several times to "figure out" how to sort by date in iOS. It isn't obvious how to sort by date because it isn't a feature, but it it obviously should be :)

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019

Hey @ graphex

Thank you for joining the conversation. :)

• wmagri
    wmagri
    Community Member

Add my name to the list of long-time 1Password users who have been desperately waiting for the ability to sort by modified (i.e. date) on iOS.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback :+1:

• This feature is currently in beta.

You can now sort your lists of items by website, date modified, and more! {#4350}

I can't make any promises at this stage but if all goes well it should hopefully be included in a future update.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.