My AutoFill macOS/Chrome problem

Dave Fox
Dave Fox
Community Member

First my versions (current versions of everything)...

Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88
Chrome 1P extension 4.7.5.90
1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401002) 1Password Store
macOS Catalina 10.15.2

Problem i'm having for some months now, both pre and post-Catalina. I hit AutoFill blue button and the 1P extension window closes and the 1P-mini in the menu bar opens, showing full list of logins. If I repeat around 3 times, it'll fill the credentials into the site. So i've got used to this dance several times a day. Doesn't seem to be any particular site it happens on, can happen seemingly anywhere.

This little screen recording illustrates, as these things can easily be misunderstood ;-)

https://vimeo.com/382627440/56625d9ab7

Help!

Dave

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.2
Sync Type: 1Pass account

Comments

• jhart120
    jhart120
    Community Member

Same problem here.

Chrome version: 79.0.3945.88
    Both 1P Chrome extension and desktop app are current on updates.
    macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Same as Dave, there seems to be no pattern with websites. It just seems random.

• jhart120
    jhart120
    Community Member

This thread seems to be describing a similar problem. According to @Yaron, it sounds like this may be a known issue. Just thought I'd try and tie these two threads together in case what Dave and I are experiencing is different. It would also be nice to have some sense of when a fix might be on the way if this has been a known issue since at least October.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2020

@Dave Fox and @jhart120

Would you review the post from Lars here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/541399/#Comment_541399 In a nutshell a newer version was submitted to the Chrome Web Store, its in beta and presently unlisted except for the link in the post. You are welcome to give it a try if you wish.

Please review the topic to ensure its relevant to your situation.

• jhart120
    jhart120
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_tommy. I'll give that a try and see how it works. Will the beta version update automatically when the next update officially releases, or will I need to switch back to the current release and update that?

• @jhart120

Yes, to return to the stable builds, you would need to uninstall/reinstall. You are welcome to continue using the beta channel, should you wish to do so. That's not everyone's cup of tea, and we understand that.

• Dave Fox
    Dave Fox
    Community Member

Great help and thanks all. I’m now running the beta of the chrome extension. I’ll report back in a few days, fingers crossed it’s doing the trick.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! :+1: :)

• Dave Fox
    Dave Fox
    Community Member

So.. a few days in running 4.7.6.1 beta. I'm still occationally getting the original problem, as described in the video at the top. The 1P extension window closes and the menu bar one opens with no search.

Not entirely fixed. Happening still a few times a day (or heavy use).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dave Fox - can you give us some examples of the sites on which this issue is happening reliably for you? Feel free to paste them here if that's OK with you. If you'd prefer, you can send us a list privately at support+forum@agilebits.com.

• arrr
    arrr
    Community Member

Same here.
    Haven't tried beta yet, but stable is very annoying. Sometimes it will happen 5-6 times in a row before autofill will actually do what it's supposed to to.
    Looks like it happens randomly on any websites (at least for me), I never noticed any dependencies.

• @arrr Please give the beta a try and let us know how it performs for you.

• scgould1
    scgould1
    Community Member

Same problem here - no specific sites, it is happening on ALL sites randomly. This has been going on for quite a while, and would appreciate a fix soon!

• @scgould1 Keep an eye out for that extension in the review process. Please let us know how it performs for you.

• scgould1
    scgould1
    Community Member

Hi Tommy - I will wait for the official version to be fixed.

• Beta's not everyone's cup of tea, and we understand that. :)

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

Yes, Dave, this has been going on for months for me too with Chrome and Catalina and I just thought it was Catalina.

• chrisworfolk
    chrisworfolk
    Community Member

+1, this is happening to me a lot and slowly driving me crazy.

I'm using the 1Password browser extension directly, but when I click on the login, rather than auto-filling, it switches to showing me all of my 1Password items. I then have to click off the extension, click on the icon again and retry.

It's not a Catalina-specific issue as I'm running High Sierra. It seems random: if I keep trying to select the login it eventually works, sometimes on the second time, sometimes on the fifth time. It seems to affect all sites.

I've installed the beta version. Unfortunately, the first login I tried came up with the same issue. iI'll report back when I have a larger sample.

• arrr
    arrr
    Community Member

Still the same with beta: had the issue twice today.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

Here's another oddity, when I use the extension in Chrome, the box pops up as expected but more often than not the 1Password mini in Mac's menu bar pops open, steals focus without the relevant site log-in information. To say this is annoying is an understatement. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@arrr:

Can you confirm the exact beta version that you are running now?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Asyd Rayn:

If I understand the issue correctly, this is exactly what the latest beta is supposed to fix. Have you given that a try already?

• arrr
    arrr
    Community Member

@ag_ana 4.7.6.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@arrr:

Thank you for the confirmation. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password?

Alternatively, you could also try rebooting once, to make sure everything gets refreshed properly.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

I'm also on 4.7.6.1 and will try your suggestion of quitting and relaunching.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, thank you :+1:

• kalbert312
    kalbert312
    Community Member

Is there a beta version that fixes this? Running into this everyday for the past few months. Also driving me crazy. I tried the 7.4.0-BETA0 a while back but it the issue was still there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kalbert312 - there is! You can get the beta version of our 1Password companion extension ("desktop app required") from this link to the Chrome Web Store. Make sure you at least disable (or remove) the stable version of our extension before you install this one. Then quit Chrome and Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Re-open Chrome and use that link to install the beta extension. Hope that helps. :)

• arrr
    arrr
    Community Member

@ag_ana I don't have any mini icon anywhere, but I've tried killing all 1password processes I found and it didn't help. Still having the issue pretty often.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@arrr - to be clear, you don't see the 1Password mini icon anywhere? Not your Mac's toolbar, and not in Chrome? If that's the case, then the issue you're having is not the one people have been experiencing in this thread -- or at least not JUST that one. Can you clarify for us?

This discussion has been closed.