To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrade to version 7 results in account frozen

Roodoo_XII
Roodoo_XII
Community Member

I purchased 1Password 3 back in april 2010, i.e. I paid for it. Upgrades to versions 4, 5 and 6 were very smooth, but upgrading to version 7 is a nightmare, I was requested by the software to do many things, that I did not understand and do not remember and now my account is "frozen". How should I proceed to unfreeze ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Roodoo_XII! Welcome to the forum!

1Password 7, unlike 4, 5 and 6, is a paid upgrade, so you will need either a new license or an active subscription. Since you created an account, you can unfreeze it by reactivating a subscription for it.

• Roodoo_XII
    Roodoo_XII
    Community Member

oh I see, then I will go back to version 6. I do not want to pay again for something I already paid for.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Roodoo_XII:

Understood, thank you for the confirmation. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

I do not want to pay again for something I already paid for

@Roodoo_XII I do not get that remark, you said you purchased 1Password 3. How come you feel you already paid for version 7?

If I buy a 2014 BMW 3 Series, I don‘t feel I already paid for the 2020 if I visit my dealer and expect to take it home free of charge. Do you?

• Roodoo_XII
    Roodoo_XII
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

Funny comparison, let me try another one. What if someone replaces your good enough 2014 BMW in your garage with a new one and asks you to pay for it. This is how I feel.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Roodoo_XII:

I don't think that is a fair example of what happened here. In your first post you wrote:

I purchased 1Password 3 back in april 2010, i.e. I paid for it. Upgrades to versions 4, 5 and 6 were very smooth, but upgrading to version 7 is a nightmare,

You tried to install 1Password 7, it wasn't put on your computer by someone else (nobody replaced your 2014 BMW with a new one, to continue your car example: you put the new car there, and decided to go back to the one you had). If you are not happy with 1Password 7, you can remove it and install the older version you paid for. We offered multiple free upgrades in the past, I am sure you will understand that we cannot continue offering free upgrades forever unfortunately.

• Roodoo_XII
    Roodoo_XII
    Community Member

The garage analogy was just a way to describe how I feel. As I remember it, I was somehow forced to upgrade to version 7, the Safari plugin was not working anymore, the only available plugin was the one for version 7, and I thought that the upgrade would have been free like it had been with the previous versions. I probably did not read the documentation carefully enough. My bad.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Roodoo_XII:

No worries at all. If you were looking for information about the Safari extension in 1Password 6, this is our documentation page about it.

In summary, Apple discontinued the Safari Extensions Gallery, which is what 1Password 6 relied on for the Safari browser extension. You can continue using the old version with every other browser we support (as those did not use the Extensions Gallery), but if you want to use Safari specifically, you will need version 7.

This discussion has been closed.