Help converting Keychain/Safari passwords to 1Password format

JJ77
JJ77
Community Member

Hello,

I posted about this before but it was a few months ago. Sorry for the repeat post, but I have still been unable to successfully get my passwords converted to a file readable by 1Password. I am on Catalina 10.15.2 and Safari 13.0.4 which are the latest I believe and I hope don't cause too many issues. I tried the apple script method and the mrc-converter suite but was never able to get the script to successfully work. Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@JJ77

Make sure to Quit Safari before you run the AppleScript.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2020

@JJ77

I wanted to follow-up with you in the morning, when I had access to my desktop system.

Please use the this version of the Get_Safari12_Passwords AppleScript.

Before using it, be sure to quit Safari, and let the script itself open Safari.

I'll await your feedback.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2020

@JJ77

I've removed the Get_Safari12_Passwords mentioned above, and have updated the converter suite to include it.

The updated Get_Safari12_Passwords now quits Safari for you.

Due to Catalina's increased security permission requirements, in order to run the script with Script Editor, you need to first configure System Preferences > Accessibility > Privacy to allow Script Editor to input the necessary keystrokes. Configure as follows:

Script Editor resides in the Utilities folder under the system-wide Applications folder. Once configured, you can launch Script Editor and run the Get_Safari12_Passwords script. Note that there may be other permission dialogs that appear.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Great example of an instructive screenshot! How do you get the number pointers and properly designate and orient them?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2020

@williakz

Thanks. I use Snagit.

• JJ77
    JJ77
    Community Member

Hello,

Thank you for the responses. I tried running the Get_Safari12_Passwords script, but when it reopened safari after closing it, the password for my computer was required to unlock the safari passwords, and by clicking ok and entering the password it stopped the script. Should I remove the password from my computer?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@JJ77,

The script brings Safari to the password unlock dialog, whereby you enter your computer password, and then click the Continue button that the script provided.

This video shows the process.

• JJ77
    JJ77
    Community Member

Okay I just tried that but got this error:

Sorry if I am still doing something wrong.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@JJ77 ,

Does it start processing the passwords at all? Do you see pop-up dialog boxes appearing, one for each password?

Or does it fail immediately after you enter your password, and then hit the Continue button?

Anything you can describe might help, since I'm blind on my end wrt. to what's happening.

• JJ77
    JJ77
    Community Member

Hello,

I posted about this before and always appreciated the swift responses. I apologize for not always replying, it's been a difficult year. I hope all of you are healthy and well. So, I have still been unable to successfully get my passwords converted to a file readable by 1Password. I am on Catalina 10.15.7 and Safari 14.0 which are the latest I believe and I hope don't cause too many issues. I tried the apple script method and the mrc-converter suite but was never able to get the script to successfully work. Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

1Password Version: 7.6
    Extension Version: 7.6
    OS Version: Catalina 10.15.7
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2020

@JJ77

Let’s go back to your thread, and my questions for you back in Jan of this year.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/542053#Comment_542053

• JJ77
    JJ77
    Community Member

I was going to continue that thread, but it says that the discussion has been closed. I'll try posting on there after I make some more attempts and get back to you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JJ77:

You cannot post on a closed discussion in the forum, I believe MrC was suggesting you to answer his questions in this new discussion you created :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I have taken the liberty to merge both discussion into one, so we have all information in one place.

This discussion has been closed.