In Chrome 1Password X dropdown hidden by chrome autofill, chrome autofill is never disabled

Options

I can't fully use 1password X on most pages in chrome on my windows computer because the popup interface is hidden behind the chrome password autofill popup. This shouldn't even be the case because chrome's "offer to save passwords" is disabled, maybe. I say maybe because while the "slider" is in the off position it happens to be grayed out and under that is the message: "1Password X – Password Manager is controlling this setting".

I tried disabling the 1password X extension with chrome's save password slider in the off position and chrome still pops up a gui offering a password. So even without the 1password X I can't stop chrome from offering passwords.

Basically, the instructions for disabling the chrome password autofill aren't working for me and that is preventing 1Password X from showing information. I can still hit the key combination to get the mini app to display up at the toolbar icon, and pick a login there. But the drop downs on the form are generally all hidden. So a lot of the time I can't see password suggestions and the like.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frumiousB!

I can't fully use 1password X on most pages in chrome on my windows computer because the popup interface is hidden behind the chrome password autofill popup.

Can you please post a screenshot of this Chrome autofill popup?

• frumiousB
    frumiousB
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a screenshot from one login page:

I've noticed if I remove chrome's previously captured passwords for a site then sometimes it doesn't overlay 1password. Other times it still will though.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frumiousB:

I've noticed if I remove chrome's previously captured passwords for a site then sometimes it doesn't overlay 1password.

I think you might be right here: if you disabled Chrome's password manager, it won't ask you to save credentials anymore, but it will still continue showing you credentials that you saved while the feature was enabled.

If you have all your information inside 1Password, I recommend cleaning up the list of passwords in your Chrome browser, and see if that helps with this.

• quietbyday
    quietbyday
    Community Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

I had this same problem.
    I'm not sure whether it's a 100% fix, but I found that hitting the 'Esc' key removed the Chrome popup, while leaving the 1password popup in place.
    If the solution does work, then this page should probably be updated to help new users: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@quietbyday:

If you don't need it anymore, I would recommend emptying the list of previously used usernames instead, so you don't have to press Esc every time ;)

• quietbyday
    quietbyday
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I agree, and will do, but initially I didn't have 100% confidence that I would be kept logged in to regularly used non-sensitive sites if the passwords were no longer in Chrome. Baby steps...!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@quietbyday:

I totally understand :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.