Clean up duplicate items does not cleanup

Options
RogueSheep
RogueSheep
Community Member

Hi,
I recently moved to an 1password account (having great difficulty doing this). Apparently I missed the last step in removing the local vault or something else went wrong resulting a numerous duplicate item in the new account/personal vault. And since I didn't remove the local vault, some new passwords were stored in that vault.

Wanting to clean things up without losing any new passwords, I opened the App, removed duplicates from the local vault and then moved all items from local to the new account vault.
This of course did lead to new duplicates which I thought could be removed using 'Clean up duplicate items' but that did not work out: 1password states: 'No duplicates items found.' while duplicates still exist, and even some triplicates!
What is going on here??

p.s. I have to get this off my chest: I have spend hours on this upgrade path, getting version 7 working and I am getting frustrated with it. While a have been enjoying 1password over the last years, this switch to 7 and using an account feels very counter intuitive and if did not have so many items in the vault I probably would have switched.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RogueSheep! Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have performed the migration multiple times, resulting in the duplicates. If all your data is still in your original vault, I think the best option would be to delete all of the items from your 1Password.com Private vault, and move the items once again, but only once this time.

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Thanks for your speedy reply but I'm afraid it is a little too late for that now, following the instructions provided on the website I have moved all items from the old vault to the account vault and deleted the old vault to prevent further chaos.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RogueSheep:

Do you still have the original vault still stored in iCloud or in Dropbox? Unless you also removed it from your old cloud storage space, you could temporarily add it to the app again and perform a new clean migration.

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

As I am using 1Password from multiple devices, I'm afraid clearing the new vault will lead into password loss (ths which I have stored since the upgrade from the other devices).
    I hope you have a solution for this. The software should be able to properly detect the duplicates? It does seem to do so when checking for reused passwords.

Also: doing this by hand is a very unsatisfactory approach as I have over 600 items stored in the vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RogueSheep:

The duplicate removal tool only removes items that are indeed real duplicates. If there is even the slightest change in the data, 1Password will not remove anything as a safety feature. Something must be different in the data, since the tool worked for you in the old vault, but not in the new one.

If you open the 1Password app and expand the tags list, do you maybe have a tag assigned to some of the items you have moved? This would explain the difference in the data, and it would also allow you to select all of these at the same time and remove them.

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.
    I did not find an option to 'Expand the tags list' but when I open items in edit mode I don't see any tags attached to them nor can I spot any differences between the items.

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

Even the last modified and created timestamps are identical.

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

Additional info: in the Windows app I see a TAGS section in the most left column (along with WATCHTOWER and CATEGORIES) but this section is empty (and TAGS is not shown in the OSX app)

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

Could this be due to fact that maybe most of these were copied in the upgrade process for the app on both a Windows and a Mac?

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

Does anybody at 1Password have an explanation or workable solution for this??

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

I am also experiencing the chaos results of this (obscure) upgrade process (see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/110099/clean-up-duplicate-items-does-not-cleanup).
    Joining the vaults left me with over 1000 items (should be around 600) on which the 'Clean up duplicate items' functionality does not work! No way I can 'un-double' these manually.

1Password please find a working solution for the failing 'Clean up duplicate items'.

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

Don't know why this previous message was moved from another question to this one? It was meant to warn the user not to deleted the old vault yet.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RogueSheep:

I would like to ask you to send us a diagnostics report from this Mac to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can try to take a closer look and see why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• RogueSheep
    RogueSheep
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,
    thanks for the update, I have sent the diagnostics the issue has been assigned the support ID [#GPM-79116-414]

Happy new year!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RogueSheep:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system. Someone will reply to your email as soon as possible :)

And Happy New Year to you too!

ref: GPM-79116-414

This discussion has been closed.