Anyone know where to find the "1Password License Files" for Windows to input single user license?

I am trying to add my single user license to my 1Password7 software. When I click on "Add A License" it prompts me to find a "1Password License File". I have my license number but do not know where to find this file. Any ideas?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Does anyone know where to find the "1Password License Files" to input single user license?

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlutzky,

Thank you for getting in touch! Sorry for the confusion.

License number is for an old version of 1Password 4 for Windows, not 1Password 7. You receive a license file when you purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Windows. You should be able to download that license file from the license email that you received after the purchase. Could you please check it on your side?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

ref: HRT-88724-754

• rlutzky
    rlutzky
    Community Member

Hi Greg. thank you for your response. I went to the original email and it says that the link was only valid for 24 hours. how do I get a new link sent?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlutzky,

It seems that there is still a confusion happening. I will discuss your situation with our team and we will get back to you via email soon. Thank you for your patience! :+1:

++
    Greg

• rlutzky
    rlutzky
    Community Member

Hi Greg. I was able to recover the link. All good on that front now. thank you.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@rlutzky: I have also resent everything to you recently. Please check your inbox. :) :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

I am having the same problem, but I don't have the original email saved with a link. Can you please help me?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ccr913, sure thing, I will be happy to help.

Do you remember what version of 1Password have you purchased and when? This information will be helpful and we will try to locate your license on our side. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

It was version 4.

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

I think it was August 2014 when I purchased the standalone copy for Windows.

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

I have the license number, but not a link.

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
  • ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

@Greg if you have an email, I can email you my license number if that helps you locate the link.

• Your 1Password 4 license is only valid for 1Password 4, @ccr913. 1Password 4 used license keys, not files, so you won't have a license file. You can find 1Password 4 on our downloads page:

https://1password.com/downloads/windows/#legacy-downloads

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade from 1Password 4. If you'd like to upgrade, you can find steps to do that here:

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-windows/

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

Thanks, I’ll try that!

• Sounds like a plan, @ccr913! Hopefully all is well, but if you have any additional questions just ask away. :chuffed:

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

That worked! Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ccr913, on behalf of bundtkate, you are very welcome! I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

@bundtkate @ag_ana @greg (not sure who will get this)

My 1password 4 is working, but it is read-only. Is there a way I can get it to work that's not just read-only?

• Are you certain you're using 1Password 4, @ccr913? 1Password 4, to my knowledge, won't put you in "read-only" mode. Instead it has a "trial mode" when unlicensed which caps the number of items you can save. This could certainly have the effect of putting you in read-only if you've opened a vault that has more items than is allowed in trial mode, but it wouldn't use those exact words to my recollection. What would say read-only is an unlicensed version of 1Password 7.

If this is 1Password 4 in trial mode, you'd need to add your license key. You should have a copy of that (e-mail us from the address you purchase 1Password 4 with if you don't and we'll find it for ya) and can add it by choosing File > Enter License Key in 1Password 4.

1Password 7, of course, uses a license file or is license using your 1Password membership. If you upgraded with a 1Password membership, sign in as described here to get out of read-only:

https://support.1password.com/get-the-apps/?windows

If you purchased a license, you should have received an e-mail after your purchase with a link to download your license. Download it from that e-mail, then just double-click that downloaded license file with 1Password running to apply it and get out of read-only. :+1:

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

@bundtkate Thanks for your response. I do not have the email. I have a license key. I don’t have a license file which is what it’s looking for. Can that be sent to me? If you need the license key to verify that I actually purchased it, I can send that to you. Not sure what email you have on file for me. It could be old. It is 1Password 4.

• 1Password 4 doesn't use license files, @ccr913. If you're being asked for one, it's not 1Password 4 doing the asking. It only ever used license keys and that's all it knows about. Could you share where you're seeing this? Perhaps there's something we're overlooking here that points to a different issue.

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

Oh ok. So apparently I installed on the new computer the wrong version. Can you please tell me what .agile file 1Password 4 will be needing? That way I can delete the ones made with the wrong version. Thank you for your patience.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ccr913,

Am I right to understand that you see that "read-only" message in 1Password extension? If so, please make sure to uninstall 1Password 7 for Windows, reboot your PC, and check if 1Password extension connects to 1Password 4 after that.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

@Greg I actually see it in the extension for chrome as well as on my windows 10 desktop. I uninstalled both the extension and desktop versions and then installed what I thought was the 1Password 4 desktop version and then added the chrome extension but still get the read only message in both.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@ccr913:

If you installed 1Password 4 for Windows and see that "read-only" message, please go to 1Password 4 > Help > Enter License Key. You should be able to enter your license key there and activate your copy of 1Password 4:

If 1Password extension looks different for you, it means that you still have 1Password 7 for Windows on your computer:

Please let me know what you find. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

@Greg i apparently have 1Password 7 still installed. I’ll have to uninstall both and install 1Password 4.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@ccr913: Let us know how it goes, as we are always ready to help. :) Thanks!

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

@greg I managed to have both versions (4 & 7) installed. I uninstalled 7 and now am successfully running 4. I deleted my Chrome extension, but reinstalled it and it's not working. Restarted my Windows 10 computer and it's still not working. Not sure if the Chrome extension only works for version 7. If that's the case, can you please let me know if I can at least get a read-only extension working in Chrome? Many thanks for you support here.

• Chrome specifically won't work with 1Password 4, @ccr913, but other supported browsers (Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi) will. Google made some changes to Chrome after we had ended full support for 1Password 4 that broke compatibility there. You can learn more about that here. For all browsers, you might need to close your browser(s), and choose Help > Advanced > Use Native Messaging protocol to get filling working. Any time you have 7 and 4 installed together, it tends to muck up the registry for filling. This will fix that up. :+1:

• ccr913
    ccr913
    Community Member

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for all your patience. I’m operational now!

This discussion has been closed.