Search in item title only

Options

Comments

• audio88
    audio88
    Community Member
    Options

I am posting this here because it is related: I can't see an option in the 1Password main app to only search the title as the default (which is the case in Mini). This is a problem for me:

I have THOUSANDS of passwords, I have been using 1Password since one of the first versions... So when I want to find my Gmail login and enter "gmail" in the search field, I get 600 results... because my user ID is my gmail address in that many places I log in.

So instead of just typing "gmail" and finding my gmail account, the main app makes me scroll for ages before I can find the ONLY ONE entry that has "gmail" in the title. The other option is to open the search options (two more clicks) and type my search entry again in the "Title' field... doesn't even work! If I type something there, the app just ignores the entry and still searches all major fields, i.e. it gets the same result.

Unless I am missing something and this is already possible, can we please have an option to set the main app search options to "title only" as the default setting, just as it is in the Mini? I generally don't understand this UX decision. The search function in both the main app and the Mini app is used for the same reason (to find an item). Why would then they have different default settings and therefore different outcomes when the user performs the same action? And even worse, why prohibit the user from changing this behavior and making the functionalities match? That's a confusing user experience.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @audio88! Welcome to the forum!

You can use the advanced search options to only search item titles:

• audio88
    audio88
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you - as I mentioned in my detailed report, it
    1. Takes many additional step to get to the result that should be the default
    2. and even worse, it DOESN'T WORK. If I enter gmail there, it STILL searches for the term in all "major fields".

... not to mention that the UI is confusing: if you open advanced search options, you have two (or more) separate fields for search terms, and who knows how they interact? Really bad UI.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

@audio88:

1. Takes many additional step to get to the result that should be the default

I am not sure it should be the default. Personally, when I want to search for something, I expect the results to find all the locations where that text is present, not just some of them. So I think that the current default setting makes sense in most cases. For everything else, we built the advanced search options to cover other preferences.

1. and even worse, it DOESN'T WORK. If I enter gmail there, it STILL searches for the term in all "major fields".

It's working as expected here, so it should definitely also work for you. What version of 1Password for Mac are you currently using? I am on 7.4.1, for reference.

if you open advanced search options, you have two (or more) separate fields for search terms, and who knows how they interact?

If you open the advanced search options, you need to use the search field in the advanced search options area, i.e. the one you can see in my previous screenshot. The search field below is the regular one, the one you see without the advanced search options open.

So please make sure that you use the correct search field when you are in the advanced search mode. I think this might be related to the behavior you are seeing in your previous point.

• audio88
    audio88
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Then question for you: If you have 600 logins tied to your Gmail address, how do you find the 1Password entry for your Gmail login?

According to your instructions, here is how:

1. Enter search term
    2. Realize that I got 600 results, no way I will scroll through the whole list (what is SEARCH for then???)
    3. Click magnifying glass icon
    4. Click "Show Search Options"
    5. Delete original search term from the main search field (if you miss this step, the search options don't matter)
    6. Click second search field in "Options" (since the main search field is still active even when you open the options)
    7. Type search term
    8. Hit enter

Do you really think that this should be a 8 step process to find one of my most used logins? Especially that it doesn't work this way in Mini?

I am not saying that this should be THE default for everyone. I am saying that it would be reasonable to give the OPTION to the user to make this the default for him/herself. I am just asking for an option (when clicking the magnifying glass icon) to search TITLES ONLY. What's wrong with that?

1. I understand. The reason it didn't work for me is because I was trying to use it wrong DUE TO THE CONFUSING UI. I entered the search term in the main search field, and once I opened the Search Options, it is ABSOLUTELY confusing and BAD UI to have to DELETE the original search term from the main search field for the Optional search field to work. Try it that way - it will fail the same way for you.

I am providing feedback - if you want to defend this UI decision, then please go ahead, or say that I'm the only one with this problem, or just disregard my feedback. I am only one user, but I find this very awkward and confusing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@audio88:

It's good to hear that you managed to get this working. I did suspect you were entering your search query in the wrong search field, so I am glad we got that figured out.

Then question for you: If you have 600 logins tied to your Gmail address, how do you find the 1Password entry for your Gmail login?

When I have more than one account on a website (such as for Gmail) I name my Gmail logins something like "Gmail Home", "Gmail Ana" or something that identifies that login. So if I need a specific one, I just search for its name without even having to use the advanced search options.

I think maybe clearing out the original search field value if you switch to the advanced search options might not be a bad idea. Thank you for the feedback!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

Another good option here is to Favorite often-used logins such as this, for much easier access. I have the same issue with my own email account...because I have used it to sign up for hundreds of accounts/services online. A search for just my email address in the main search field will indeed return hundreds of results. But "starting" (favoriting) my email account puts it on an easily-accessible, much smaller list. You can also search in the way ag_ana described, to avoid the issue and search titles only. Hope that's helpful. :)

• audio88
    audio88
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana,

"When I have more than one account on a website (such as for Gmail) I name my Gmail logins something like "Gmail Home", "Gmail Ana" or something that identifies that login. So if I need a specific one, I just search for its name without even having to use the advanced search options."

Thank you, but I think you didn't understand my question.

The problem I am bringing up is not about naming logins. It is when the name of the item (e.g. "gmail") is also present in OTHER (non-title) fields of other items.

Example: the TITLE for your Gmail login is "Gmail"

Your Facebook login email is me@gmail.com
    Your LinkedIn login email is me@gmail.com
    Your Instagram login email is myotheremail@gmail.com

All of the above 4 items would be found when you searched for "gmail". And 3 out of 4 would be completely irrelevant for the search.

I see your point, but I disagree with your reasoning. Your argument assumes that people search for text inside logins more often or just as often as searching for the names they themselves assigned to their logins.

I for one almost never had to search for text inside a login. The typical use case for search that comprises 99% of my searches is looking for the TITLE of a login. Why? Because I want to find a login, and I named my logins something that is logical to me, something I assume I will remember, which is the case most of the time, so my searches need to search only the title field 99% of the time and the additional results caused by searching "all major fields" are irrelevant and useless to my search, making the search LESS useful. Can you see that?

From that perspective, it is ANNOYING that you don't let the user make that choice - i.e. there is no good setting for my use case. Also, I assume that my use case is similar to most of your users, i.e. they will most likely search for the title of a login most of the time, and not the content of it. The forced default setting of searching "all major fields" won't be a problem for people with only a few logins, they most likely won't even notice. But for anyone with a large amount of logins (I have 1400 of them since I have been using 1Password for many years) this is a major inconvenience and I don't understand the rationale of this choice. Having at least the OPTION to search "title only" as a user set default for those who want this would cause no no harm to anyone else and would save anyone with many passwords saved in 1Password (coincidentally, the most likely users to stick around, since they are invested in your product) a LOT of time and inconvenience.

If you disagree but do care about user feedback, find 10 power users who have been using 1Password for a long time and have a lot of passwords saved if they agree with your choice and the lack of option to override your default setting.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@audio88:

I think you might have misunderstood my naming suggestion.

The problem I am bringing up is not about naming logins. It is when the name of the item (e.g. "gmail") is also present in OTHER (non-title) fields of other items.

Of course, but this is what advanced search options are for, as we have been discussing so far. My suggestion was indeed another way to find a way that works for you: if you have two Gmail accounts for example, say you name them "Gmail Home" and "Gmail Work". At this point, if you search for "Gmail Home", only that login item will show up, and not all the login items that use that email as the username.

I wanted to thank you again for taking the time to voice your feedback though! It's great that you are so passionate about 1Password, and I am sorry that none of the suggestions are ideal for you. Perhaps one day we will be able to make some changes that make you like this feature more.

• audio88
    audio88
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

You are suggesting a WORKAROUND. It is not a SOLUTION. There is a difference.

The WORKAROUND you are suggesting requires me to create a unique name for every login. The requirements I would have to fulfill for your WORKAROUND are complex and make zero sense. I would have to KNOW every word that appears in any of the major fields of any logins, and pick a name for every login that does not include any word that is also included in ANY of the "major fields" of other logins. And since I have more than 1400 logins, and most contents of the "major fields" are filled out automatically, what you are asking me to do is an almost impossible task. Even if I manage, it will also be rendered ineffective in the future if any login saved after my naming choice includes the word I choose for my login name, automatically saved in any of the major field.

I.e. your solution "Gmail home" doesn't work if any logins in any of the major fields, have the word "home" in them. If any login for any item has an auto-saved URL like "xcompay.com/home/login" then that login will also be in the search results.

Here is what it boils down to:

There is no good choice in your app for my use case. You are not really listening and taking that into consideration, but keep recommending how I, and every single one of your other users WORK AROUND your UI decision, instead of giving us the CHOICE of using the main app the same way you also have in the Mini app.

If you think it's such a bad idea and doesn't even worth considering in the main app, can you explain to me why the behavior (or even just the option of having that) I recommend is the DEFAULT behavior in the MIni app?

Can you also explain to me why do you think it's a good idea to have a "full" and a "mini" version of the app that treat search in entirely different ways, so the user has to learn and work around your quirky UI decision to make them work differently? I'm very happy with the behavior of the Mini app. Why can't i have the same in the full app?

I used to have a software company for 10 years and it is my belief that if we can make one simple change that gives the user the option to something the user wants, then we should give the user that option, instead of forcing every user to work around our decision to force feed them our choices.

You obviously already have the code base to do this since this is what the Mini app does, so I'm not even talking about a new feature. I am talking about a DECISION to prevent the user from making this choice and use what you already have, in a different window of the same application. Are you creating software for yourself, or for your users...?

• Ben
    Options

We've acknowledged your request and offered suggestions to, as you say, work around the situation. Nobody is rejecting your feedback or saying that there may not be the possibility of changes in the future. But as a rule we don't make promises about the future that haven't already been announced.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.