1Password not synching from iPod Touch?

MZ123
MZ123
Community Member
A week or so ago, an update was pushed out from the App Store. Actually a *couple* of updates in a row. I've currently got 1password version 3.6.1, dated 10/13.

I've got an iPod Touch 3rd generation (I think, it was the last one before they came out with one with a camera). IOS version 4.3.5 (8L1).

Since then, *nothing* syncs from my iPod to my Android phone, or to my husband's iPhone. More precisely, nothing in 1Password. I can edit note files using Plain Text and that goes to / from my PC just fine. But 1Password data is not transmitted - I don't get that popup from Dropbox saying a file was synched. I have checked both in the iPhone and the Android and the new data doesn't show up there either.

We don't sync to an instance of the desktop software. I did that initially to get the synching across devices, but it may have been causing some incompatibility with some extra hardware / software on the PC so I deleted it from the PC. However, it's been working fine on the phones since I did that, until the most recent handheld update.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• MZ123
    MZ123
    Community Member
    Oh - and a data point: I tried to deactivate and re-activate the Dropbox sync in settings in the iPod tool - and it says "Master Password was incorrect. Please tap 'Account' and enter the Master Password you used on Mac or PC. Please note this password can be different than the password used for DropBox, iPhone or iPod".

I've tried re-entering the password several times, very carefully, and I am entering the same password I use to log into Dropbox.com from the PC (it's a string of gibberish characters, not the tough-to-crack but memorizable one I use on the handheld tools). So what gives???
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I've tried re-entering the password several times, very carefully, and I am entering the same password I use to log into Dropbox.com from the PC

You will need to enter "the Master Password you used on Mac or PC [to unlock 1Password for Mac or Windows]. Please note this password can be different than the password used for Dropbox, iPhone or iPod".

I hope that helps get Dropbox syncing set up once again. There are a few different passwords and they are never synced from one device to another, so they do not all have to be the same.

Your 1Password for iPhone master password, your 1Password for Mac/Windows master password, and your Dropbox credentials you use for signing in to Dropbox.com. You'll need to pay careful attention to which password is being requested and enter the correct one for each step of the Dropbox sync setup process.

Please let me know how it goes.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2011
    You can test to see if you know your master password by logging in to the Dropbox.com website, clicking into your 1Password.agilekeychain folder, and then clicking 1Password.html. The web interface for 1PasswordAnywhere will unlock with the same master password you used to set up 1Password for Windows. That password that unlocks 1PasswordAnywhere (the web interface inside Dropbox) is the password you will need to enter at the prompt you mentioned above.
  • MZ123
    MZ123
    Community Member
    Thanks - I just entered the master password (which in my case IS the same as the handheld's master password), and it worked this time. The question is, however: why did I have to re-enter it? It was working before the latest software release, and didn't change. Was there something messed up in the software upgrade that caused it to lose that?

If you *expect* that to happen, I think it would be worth including a splash screen when starting 1Password for the first time, saying that the user might need to re-enter the master password. I had no idea it would be needed, hence my confusion.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    This is related to the iOS protection class that we use to store your credentials for automatic Dropbox syncing.

http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/02/lost-iphone-safe-passwords/

We'll try to improve feedback in the UI on all Dropbox sync-related issues as we move forward. I'm glad things are working well for you now, though! :-)

If we can be further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • BajaBarry
    edited November 2011
    This is driving me batty. I've been using 1P on an Ipod Touch 3G. I just got an iPad and want to sync. I have now gotten dropBox working and uploaded files from the iPod. I don't have a Mac just a Windows PC. I installed the trial on the PC and had to create a new database. I went to the preferences and moved the password data to DropBox. I've assigned the same "master" password to the trial as used on the iPod. The DropBox password is different.

On the iPod I go to Settings/Sync/DropBox and tap Sync Now. It asks for Master Password on iPod Touch. I enter it and tap Next. It returns to the DropBox Sync screen. I tap Sync Now. It asks for Master Password on iPod Touch. I enter it and tap Sync Now. It returns to the DropBox Sync screen, etc. ad nauseum.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks.
    =============
    I got it working, but am not too sure I will continue using it. I added one login on the PC. Then I tried to sync on the iPad. It didn't seem to work. I then added one login on the iPad and that resulted in both logins on both systems. I tried again on the iPod Touch but it still didn't work. So, I wiped out the database on the iPod - only had 24. I was then able to get the stuff on DropBox onto the iPod. I also installed on an Android phone and it works too. I added a few more logins on the PC (I have a ton of them on an old password program) and the iPod and Android sync'd fine. The iPad didn't, until after several tries I added another one on the iPad.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It sounds like you just need to reset Dropbox syncing in order to set up Dropbox to remember your master password for automatic syncing. On your iOS devices (specifically your iPad from what I can glean from your description):

1Password > Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Reset
This discussion has been closed.