Do not suggest when already filled login and pw?

Options

When a login screen appears in a browser where the login name and password is already filled as browsers offer this. In such case we should not offer to fill the login+password. Instead we should recognise that it is present and stop there. If user still wants to fill in using 1PW then he should take an action.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Abhijit

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Abhijit - I believe all the major browsers we support contain a rudimentary password manager within them, because obviously not everyone uses 1Password, so the browser developers have to include something like this. Our suggestion for 1Password users is to turn off these browser-based password managers, because they can cause confusion about which (browser or 1Password) is offering to save or fill, which can lead to data loss and parallel-but-different sets of data. It's certainly possible to leave your browser-based password manager enabled, but it's not a scenario we recommend, so we don't design with it in mind.

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed! In my case it is already turned off. My scenario is it was not turned off from day 1 I started using the browser. So for some reason though the browser based password manager is tuned off the site is filled with login and password automatically when appears but not auto login. And 1Password X also offers to fill the password at the same time with all overlapping and confusing experience.

Can we simplify this? Can we give automatically recognise such scenario's and provide necessary hints to users? Have this user flow clean, simple and sorted out end to end. thanks!

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Abhijit – Thanks for the feedback! Based on the little info we have, my guess is that you still have some passwords saved in your browser's password manager. While it may not offer to save any future passwords, it's a good idea to delete the data you have stored inside the browser's password manager to avoid running into situations like this one. I'm happy to find a guide for how to do exactly that if you let me know the browser you're using. If you insist on using two password managers at once like that, another option is to disable the "show autofill menu on field focus" option in 1Password X. That'll make it so you'd need to click the 1Password icon inside fields to open the inline menu instead of it appearing as soon as you put focus in the field. As Lars mentioned, we don't have any plans to design 1Password to act like this by default since the large majority of our users don't use the browser's password manager.

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member
    Options

Great Reply! Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of kaitlyn, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member
    Options

You guys are phenomenal!! Have a great decade ahead to 1Password team!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you! :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.