Master password not working on Mac or website but working on iPhone

BrenZF
BrenZF
Community Member

New to 1Password & apparently this is fastest way to get support... really hoping someone can help!

Signed up for biz account in Nov. Didn't have time to fully set up everything (ie loading/syncing all accts & passwords within 1Password) but did activate our billing & the complimentary family accts. Last week finally got the time & bandwidth to look into how all of this works & how to get all of our accts saved but when I tried to login, master password didn't work (on both online site via Firefox + the 1Password app on my Mac). Thought I must have written it down wrong or was mistyping - kept trying to no avail. Since I was still the only "administrator" on the acct, I also didn't have anyone else who could access backend & reset master password. Seemed only option was to delete acct & start over (even though we've already paid year of membership).

So, I deleted our acct & started over. Made sure to carefully right down master password on ER Kit page plus saved on our old-fashioned password sheet. Got everything set up, including starting new family accts as well. Got the app downloaded on my iphone 7 (iOS 13.3) enabled with touch ID. Started getting things set up in backend of our biz acct, including inviting team members to join so I could enable another administrator & have back-up in place in case password failed again. Everything was working great for about 24 hrs...

I tried logging in again couple days later on my Macbook Air (Catalina 10.15.2) and got error message that master password was incorrect. Thought I could've mistyped (even though I was being meticulous!) so I copied/pasted from old-fashioned password sheet to be double-sure it was correct. Still - error msg. Logged into the app on my iphone using touch ID. Was able to get into backend of biz acct and "change" the password to what it already was. Still won't let me in on my Mac via the 1Password app, or through website (1password.com). Am I missing something here?

I was so excited to get this set up because I've heard so many recommendations for 1Password but this has been anything but easy. My best guess is that my Mac is storing old info from the previous (now deleted) acct but that doesn't explain why I can't login on the website either. To be clear, I didn't actually change the password on my phone -- I just re-entered the same one that I originally created for this new acct.

The other odd element is that I can still login to the family acct (that's compliments of the biz acct) -- all of that works fine across all devices. Please help. Would rather talk with someone but apparently this forum is the best option (?)

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Firefox 4.7.5.90, Chrome 4.7.5.90, Safari 7.4.1
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• BrenZF
    BrenZF
    Community Member
    • I will also add... I've now tried logging into 1Password.com from my phone (Safari browser) and I'm able to get into the backend of my account that way. I've cleared my browser caches on my Macbook Air (for Firefox, Chrome & Safari) but to no avail.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BrenZF! Welcome to the forum!

My best guess is that my Mac is storing old info from the previous (now deleted) acct but that doesn't explain why I can't login on the website either.

I think this might be it. Is it possible that your browser is storing your old Secret Key, instead of the new one that you got after you recreated the account?

If you try to login to https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new (which will force you to enter all your information again), are you able to do so? If you are able to login to your account from another browser on your phone, it means that those credentials definitely works.

• BrenZF
    BrenZF
    Community Member

ag_ana - Thanks for your response. I've cleared all my browser caches and I cleared all saved data re: 1Password within my Mac Keychain. I tried logging in using the URL you provided above, carefully re-entered all my login credentials, and still to no avail. Any other suggestions? I'm about at wit's end and thinking we need to bail on the 1Password idea, as good as it sounded.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BrenZF - I can understand your frustration, but I've never seen an issue like this that didn't turn out to be a relatively simple configuration problem. To get a better idea of what might be going on with your 1Password 'ecosystem', I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#EBT-38973-618]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @BrenZF only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: EBT-38973-618

• BrenZF
    BrenZF
    Community Member

Lars - Thanks so much for the clear instructions! I've sent both diagnostic reports, including the ID code. Fingers crossed this is truly a simple fix! 🤞🏼 Appreciate the support.

• Thanks @BrenZF. It looks like Lars is continuing the conversation with you via email. To avoid duplicating efforts I'm going to close this forum thread, but please do continue with Lars via email. :) I'm confident he can get this issue sorted for you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.