1Password Windows App - Logging In After Changing Master Password

Hi Support Team,

I am having issues logging into the Windows Desktop 1Password app. I recently changed my Master Password. When I went to log in on the Windows Desktop App, the new Master Password did not work. I tried the old password, and that did not work either.

The main issue is I am not able to log out of the App to log back in with the correct credentials.

I had the same issue on my MacBook laptop but I was able to correct it. What I did was I uninstalled the app and redownloaded. This gave me the option to login with my credentials and I was able to input the new information.

However, this is not working with the Windows App. I have tried twice to uninstall the App and reinstall, but each time it saves the data from the previous download, and I am unable to login with the correct credentials.

I have searched the forum and it seems others have had similar issues. Someone had the same issue back in 2016 and Alex Hoffmann said he would pass this information on to the team for a patch to be produced. Not sure how it is now 2020 and this issue still has not been corrected.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/70185/my-new-master-password-does-not-work-any-more

If someone from 1Password could please reach out and help me figure out how to login, that would be helpful. 1Password is so great because of these desktop apps and without them, 1Password is the same as everyone else.

Thanks,

chefjoey

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1903
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Your old Master Password should work, @chefjoey. How changing your Master Password works in the Windows app is that you need to unlock with your old Master Password. It will then ask for your new one via a red error banner at the bottom. This is actually because of a limitation in how 1Password for Windows is able to communicate with the server. In short, it can't until you unlock at the moment so until that point it just flat doesn't know your Master Password has changed.

Now, if you're absolutely certain your old Master Password isn't working (check, double-check, type with one finger super carefully), then we can fix that, but I don't want to do so without a double-check of a few things. There must be a reason it's not working and one reason that can happen is that you have an extra vault, potentially with extra data open in that app. So, if it's definitely, for sure, no questions asked not working with the old Master Password, sign in to your account on 1password.com to confirm you can see absolutely all of your data there. If you can, then you can reset your desktop app to sign in fresh:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

Finally, as a quick FYI, 1Password for Mac should retain old data as well when you uninstall. That it didn't makes me think that perhaps you were originally using an older version of 1Password for Mac. Otherwise, that data should have stuck around. Neither here nor there for now, but if you need to sign in fresh again down the road, it's worth knowing that your Mac app would need a reset in that case same as Windows. :+1:

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

PMJI, but @bundtkate, if you have time would you mind terribly taking a look at the discussion link below? I'm trying to figure out accounts and members and vaults and data in the context of add/delete/reset procedures to manipulate them. And I'm lost...

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/110278/moving-smoothly-from-a-demo-member-to-an-actual-one

This discussion has been closed.