1Password X - Chrome - 1Password 7: Logged-in/Not logged-in

Options
Mentbase
Mentbase
Community Member
edited January 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi there,

Please clarify the following:
a. I am using Chrome. if I click on 1Password 7 icon in the Menu Bar, it's suggesting to install 1Password Chrome's extension (even though 1Password X is already installed;
b. the prompting message still allows the search through 1Password 7;
c. there is a situation when the same unlocking credentials are needed to be entered twice - for 1Password and 1Password X;
d. this is not the case when the browser is Safari.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: account

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2020
    Options

@Mentbase

Try restarting your Mac. If the issue persists, please post a screenshot of what you are seeing. Please be sure to redact any potentially sensitive information.

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.
    Restarted - now and many times before. - Doesn't help.
    There are two attachments:
    a. the prompt to install 1Password extension (in presence of 1Password X - you can see the icon in Chrome), after credentials entered into 1Password 7 launched from the menu Bar;
    b. yet another request for credentials in 1Password X, even after a. is in place.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mentbase:

1Password X does not communicate with 1Password for Mac, the desktop app. It is a completely independent extension that does not require the desktop app to function.

If you plan to use the extension together with the desktop app, you might want to use the companion browser extension instead, which will behave exactly as you wish.

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member
    Options

Does it mean, in order to obtain the desired behaviour, you're referring to accept the prompted 1Password extension installation, and remove 1Password X? - Thus leaving the desktop app, 1Password 7, along with the Chrome extension (I understand that the 'companion browser extension' is that very same Chrome extension I started my question from)?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mentbase – I apologize for any confusion here. 1Password X doesn't communicate with the 1Password desktop apps, so that's why you'll see the prompt asking you to install the desktop-dependent extension when you open 1Password mini. 1Password X operates solely inside the browser, which is also why it needs to be unlocked separate from the 1Password desktop app. The extension you'll use – 1Password X or the desktop-dependent 1Password extension – really depends on which one you'd prefer. I'll brief you on each of them in hopes that'll help ease the decision process.

1Password X is a full featured 1Password extension for Chrome and Firefox that can be used without a connection to the main 1Password app (but runs smoothly alongside it), and access to it comes with our 1Password.com accounts. It has a bunch of awesome features that the 1Password browser extension doesn't have, like your logins will be available directly within the web-page you are viewing. 1Password X will also receive new updates to saving and filling logic before the other apps. If that sounds good to you, I highly recommend giving 1Password X a shot.

The original 1Password browser extension, on the other hand, has no UI and works solely off of the 1Password application. That means when you unlock the 1Password app, it also unlocks this extension. This one also uses the command-\ keyboard shortcut to fill Login items, but you won’t be able to see the Login inline like you would with 1Password X.

If you have any questions about either of the extensions we offer, please feel free to send them my way. I'm happy to help clear things up!

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

1Password X is a full featured 1Password extension for Chrome and Firefox that can be used without a connection to the main 1Password app (but runs smoothly alongside it), and access to it comes with our 1Password.com accounts.

@Kaitlyn, I started with 1P a week ago by installing the "main" app (windows) + the "regular" Chrome extension. Yesterday I decided to install 1PX (Chrome) and so removed the previously installed extension. So can/should I also uninstall the "main" windows app leaving only X?

If so, are there good reason(s) to leave the windows program installed (since you had written "but runs smoothly alongside it")

(I hate pleading the case of "Im not technically inclined" but never have I seen a support document describing clearly the possible combinations and permutations of the install of 1P X (with the Windows App))

• Thanks for asking, @jmjm! What @kaitlyn said about 1Password X and 1Password for Windows running smoothly alongside each other just means they don't get in each others' way and they've both got their own benefits so there's no harm in keeping both. The 1Password for Windows app and 1Password X don't currently have a way to communicate with each other (not yet, anyway), so you don't technically need to keep the desktop app around if you're using 1Password X. I've been running only 1Password X on my gaming PC for several months now and it's going great! Some folks like to keep the desktop app to organize items and vaults, create new items, or edit existing items — in some ways it's a little easier than organizing, editing, and creating items on 1Password.com, which is where items are edited and created for 1Password X.

You can get to know each of the apps better here, if you'd like:
    -Getting started with 1Password for Windows-
    -Get to know 1Password X-

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

@cecelia, I appreciate the detailed reply. I now understand the possible setups involving 1P X.

• You're so very welcome @jmjm! :)

• Edison517
    Edison517
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread; it cleared up some of my questions about the Windows app vs 1PX, and the pros/cons of having one vs the other (or both). I'm using both on my work computer, and haven't had any issues. I would concur that using the desktop app was easier for a bunch of editing/sorting of logins I did.

Keep up the great work folks! The support here is amazing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the kind words @Edison517! And on behalf of everyone in this discussion, you are very welcome :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.