Subdomain missing when signing up for slack

sriggins
sriggins
Community Member

Starting with https://ranchero.com/netnewswire/slack, I tapped the key, then scrolled past my 100 slack accounts to 1password, then tapped create login.

The website entry was slack.com, instead of netnewswire.slack.com which is a real problem as slack has a different account for each subdomain.

I had to a) know this and b) go edit the login in the app later

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019

Hi @sriggins,

I believe I was able to reproduce this issue:

1. Navigate to https://ranchero.com/netnewswire/slack
    2. Enter my email address
    3. Slack sends me an email to verify
    4. When I click the link in the email I'm taken to the Slack app
    5. Slack asks for my full name, which I fill in
    6. Slack asks for a password
    7. I tap on the key icon above the keyboard
    8. Tap into 1Password
    9. Select 'Create Login'

The URL filled in the Login item is slack.com, instead of netnewswire.slack.com. I'm not sure that is something that we can change on our end, but I'll have a chat with our development team and see. Thanks for the report!

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4503

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

Interesting. I swear I saw the full subdomain at the top of the passwords list but maybe that is different data.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019

I believe the only name(s) we have access to for this purpose is whatever name(s) the app defines as Associated Domain(s), but I'll see if our development team can confirm.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2020

@sriggins,

I confirmed with development that this isn't something we can address on our end. If the Slack app has an associated domain (it does) it's absolutely going to be slack.com (it is) and not some subdomain of slack.com (their Associated Domains file would be untenably large if they tried to add every possible subdomain). If the Slack app didn't have an associated domain then we would fall back to the top 100 domains, which also would not include netnewswire.slack.com.

Sorry there isn't a better answer at the moment.

Ben

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

Thanks for the update!

• You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.