1Password not saving new logins (Mac/Chrome/Standalone licence)

Options

Hi there - I've just noticed that 1password has stopped asking to save new logins. I'm using Chrome, on a Mac. I have a standalone licence bought from the Mac App Store in 2016. I have the 1password 7 application installed on the macbook, and the chrome extension installed too. I'm in the UK.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• minoglio
    minoglio
    Community Member
    Options

Also - just checked that the chrome extension is turned on, and it is.

• @minoglio

Have you tried the steps on our extension troubleshooting page?

• minoglio
    minoglio
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - nothing worked. Seems to not be working on one particular website, so I followed the advice to manually save that login. Oddly, though, the chrome extension doesn't give me the option to. When (as suggested here: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/) I click settings, there's no 'New Login' option. The box just offers 'Lock', 'Preferences', 'Open 1Password' and 'Quit 1Password completely'.

• minoglio
    minoglio
    Community Member
    Options

I recently upgraded from V6 to V7 - don't know if that would affect anything or cause issues?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @minoglio ,
    1Password 7 requires a new license or an active subscription membership account, it will not work with the old 1Password 6 license (or previous versions).
    If you have installed 1Password 7 without getting a new license or an account, it will work in Read-Only mode, which will not allow you to create new passwords or autofill in your browser.

Could that be the case here?

• minoglio
    minoglio
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! Yes - that sounds like it might be the problem. I don't have a subscription membership - I paid for a standalone licence years ago. Should/can I renew my licence in order to upgrade to 1Password 7? Or can I go back to 1Password 6 somehow?

Or... should I bite the bullet and sign up for the subscription? Currently I don't feel I need the extra benefits (travel mode, etc), as everything was working fine before.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2020
    Options

@minoglio

That's purely a personal decision as to your method of use, the standalone license, or the membership. I prefer the membership option as I always have the latest and greatest versions of the apps. I would be amiss if I didn't tell you how much easier the syncing is. If you haven't checked out https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/ I will encourage you to do so. I think that I should also say it includes a free trial. So you can use 1Password 7 today, and kick the tires, so to speak. If it suits your needs, great, and if not, you're always free to return to a standalone setup. I think this is likely the best option for you because you could go back to 1Password 6 should you choose to do so without paying anything out of pocket to try 1Password 7.

If you decide to try a membership you can go here to get started - https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan

• minoglio
    minoglio
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy - couple of questions:

As a standalone customer, don't I also get upgrades to the Mac and iOS apps?
    Also (and apologies if this is a kindergarten question) when you say that syncing is 'easier', what do you mean? My Mac and phone sync pretty effortlessly as it is. Or do you mean that having a membership would make it easier to access my vaults from other/new devices?

To return to my original post issue - is there a way to renew my licence in order to use 1Password 7, or can I scroll back to 1Password 6?

Many thanks again.

• Typically in the past, you would get point updates, such as 7.4 to 7.5, and so on. I know of no plans for the next version of 1Password, whatever that will be called. Let's use 8, as an example. In the past, a significant release has been a paid upgrade, e.g., 7.x > 8.0, and at others, it may have been a free upgrade. Who is to know what the powers that be will decide for the next version of 1Password.

For me, it's a set it and forget it thing. I no longer have to troubleshoot why this is not working or that due to a 3rd party sync service. A lot of folks indeed have no issues with their 3rd party setup. For me, it's easier to download the app, sign in, and syncing just works. I also don't need to install things such as Dropbox and wait on it to complete syncing before I can use 1Password.

Yes, you can certainly get a standalone license. The option for those is available right on the welcome screen of 1Password 7 for Mac.

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

• minoglio
    minoglio
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks again @ag_tommy - much appreciated.

• :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.