Can't log in anymore after years

kevinofori
kevinofori
Community Member

I downloaded 1Password a long time ago and I have not done anything but typing in my master password since like 2014. I recently updated to iOS12, but the logo hasn't changed so I don't think I was downloading from anything too old. I don't think I have a secret key, but the email I would have used (the one associated with this account now) apparently didn't have an account associated with it? How can I recover all six years of my passwords? Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kevinofori,

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. How did you go about installing the upgrade to iOS 12? Did it involve restoring the phone? Also, did you have your 1Password data synced or backed up anywhere?

Please let me know.

Ben

• kevinofori
    kevinofori
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I had just erased and restored my phone (I’ve done this a few times successfully because my storage fills up randomly) when it began to auto install iOS12.4.4. When it was done, 1Password was offloaded (needed to be redownloaded from my iCloud).

But when I opened it, unlike every other time, it didn’t just let me type in my Master Password—it asked me to sign in with a Sign in, Email, Secret Key (which I may never have had because I never paid for 1Password), and Master password. I didn’t know enough to sign in, so I created an account under my current email address with the same master password, but now there’s no passwords saved.

There are iCloud backups through WiFi (so I guess i could access it from my computer?) but the last one is only a day old which is probably after the app got offloaded.

Thanks

Kevin

• @kevinofori

Unfortunately it sounds like your 1Password data was deleted from your phone in the process. On iOS removing the app also removes the associated data. In part because of this possibility, when not using a 1Password membership subscription, we recommend making backups as well as syncing your 1Password data:

If you had previously backed up or synced your data you should be able to restore from one of those sources. Unfortunately we've found Apple's built-in backup/restore processes don't always work for app data such as 1Password's, so I'd only recommend attempting that route as a last resort. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• kevinofori
    kevinofori
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. I've got a backup (presumably of a standalone vault?) on iCloud Drive, but I'm not sure how to access it. Do you know if there's a way to download the backup from my iCloud manager or iCloud.com? Ideally I'd then put it into my iPhone through iTunes.

• @kevinofori

1Password doeesn't sync / backup to iCloud Drive. Instead we utilize CloudKit, which is Apple's equivalent of iCloud Drive for syncing databases. Unlike iCloud Drive the data is only accessible from the originating app (i.e. 1Password) and not from iCloud.com etc. If you had set up 1Password to sync with iCloud you can restore that sync using these instructions:

How to sync 1Password with iCloud

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.