UI Scaling on larger resolutions

Options

I just switched over from LastPass and the only issue I'm having is that the UI, especially for 1Password Mini but also for the main app, is incredibly small when I run at 1440p or 4K

On Mac it looks perfectly fine but on Windows it is very hard to read and discern the tiny little icons when using the Mini popup.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or is this expected behavior?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @ersan191,

Thanks for reporting this.

1Password does support HiDPI on Windows, so it should scale properly. However, one area where we're weak is multi-monitor Hi-DPI where changing between monitors will not scale the app properly. This is something that we're hoping to improve on in the next few updates.

Can you confirm if you're using multiple monitors?

What happens if you exit 1Password and restart it, does it then scale properly?

• ersan191
    ersan191
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Maybe it's normal and I'm just not a fan of how small it is? Restarting it is the same and I only have one monitor. Here's a comparison between 1Password and 1Password X (which I think is fine)

Maybe I'm just getting old, I bumped up the scaling system-wide and it feels better.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ersan191: It really depends on the person. We got a lot of feedback that 1Password X was "too big" at first, but it seems to have grown on people. There are a few bits of good news that you may be glad to hear, though they will not all help you right now:

• [now] 1Password X can be used in your browser, and you don't even need the desktop app installed, if you prefer that.
    • [later] Integration between 1Password X and 1Password for Mac is under way in beta, and once that's complete we will be working to bring the same integration too 1Password for Windows as well.
    • [later] 1Password for Windows will be getting a refreshed 1Password mini in the future as well, and we'll take everyone's feedback into account.

Thanks for sharing your perspective! :)

• munpip214
    munpip214
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having an issue with HiDPI scaling on my computer. Running Win 10 and 1Password 7.3.712. I just got 2 4K monitors with scaling set to 150% (default) and other apps scale just fine, but 1Password doesn't seem to scale properly. It is just doing a basic scaling, like if the app didn't support HiDPI at all. All the text and icons are fuzzy. Same with browser extension.

• Have you tried exiting 1Password and restarting, @munpip214? Just choose 1Password > Exit, and open it once more. Does that help at all? Also, just to be sure, do both monitors have the same scaling set? As Mike mentioned earlier, we do have an issue with scaling adjusting properly when two displays are used with different settings. Although I don't have 4k – just 1440 – I haven't noticed any fuzziness myself so my suspicion is that there's some holdover from old display settings and 1Password isn't adjusting properly. In fact, you might try a reboot as well – just in case. One of my frequent struggles with Windows generally is its coping with on the fly changes, especially on my machine that does have multiple displays. It has a bit of a tough time recognizing what displays are and aren't active and adjusting what's shown where as a result. A reboot with only the desired display(s) turned on tends to resolve my problems so same might be of help here. Let me know what you find. :+1:

• munpip214
    munpip214
    Community Member
    Options

Just restarting the app didn't help. Since this was a laptop, I'm thinking that maybe the presence of a 3rd monitor at boot (even though it is not default or even used) may have thrown it off? I'm not sure, but I did a full reboot with only 4k monitors on and it seems to be working now. Yes Windows doesn't do great with this...

• I know those struggles all too well, @munpip214. My fiancee's PC does double-duty as our streaming box so we have it hooked up to his monitor and to the receiver that goes to our projector. Obviously, the projector isn't on all that often so it gives us some fits when he's trying to use his computer for normal computer things, particularly since the receiver will be on so we can still get sound through the speakers. If I had a cookie for every time I booted the thing and couldn't even unlock Windows cuz the sign-in window was on the powered down other screen, I'd have a ton of 'em. I have to be understanding of Windows – we're not exactly being kind to it by having it hooked up to something that's on, but not a display, but it does mean I have more experience than I'd like dealing with display problems. :lol:

I'm glad to hear the reboot helped. I hope it's now able to stick even when you do have the other display hooked up, but if it gives you any more trouble, just let me know. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.