Quality of life improvements...

CrashDDL
CrashDDL
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Would it be possible to implement the following quality of life improvements?

• Copy 1-time password to clipboard when entering Username and Password from extension (1Password 4 already does this)
  • Provide "A,B,C,etc." shortcuts for the list of items in the 1Password 7 application for windows (like in the iOS app), otherwise what is the point of grouping them alphabetically.
  • Remember and reselect item after saving changes while Watchtower categories are selected. (Saved items get removed and "Logins" category's 1st item is selected rather then what the user just worked on. Example: If I entered a "2FA" code, I have to save it to see the codes and finish setting up 2FA on a site. Now I have to find that item in the list again. [Please don't just say "use search", it is unnecessary extra work that shouldn't exist in the first place.])
  • Allow adding attachments to Secure notes in the 1Password 7 application without going into Edit mode. No reason for the extra step, slows down workflow, especially if additional attachment is to be added after some time.
  • Allow "Open" command for attachments (1Password 4 already has this. [There is no reason for that much extra work when all I want is to take a quick look at the picture.]) While at it, make the app recognize the default picture viewer app if already set.
  • Give the "items sorted" middle panel of the 1Password 7 app the switch function of ascending/descending (1Password 4 already has this)

These relatively simple improvement would increase productivity tremendously.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (1903)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• I'll certainly pass your feedback along to the development team, @CrashDDL, but I one of those is actually already covered.

Copy 1-time password to clipboard when entering Username and Password from extension (1Password 4 already does this)

1Password 7 already do this too, there's just not a notification for it. Personally, I prefer that, but it does harm discoverability somewhat. Make sure you've got it enabled in Settings > Browsers and Ctrl + V away. Even better, though (at least in my opinion)? You can Ctrl + \ when asked for TOTP to fill that code, too. Same number of keystrokes, but hey, your fingers are probably already there after filling your username/password, right?

1 for 6 isn't the best ratio here, but hopefully it counts for something. :chuffed:

• CrashDDL
    CrashDDL
    Community Member

Just tried it and it does work. It must have been a fluke when I tried it and didn't work. I just assumed it is not copying the 2FA code because there was nothing inserted on ctrl+v.
    The 3 secure note related improvements are what stops me from only using version 7. I hope they get implemented.

• I'm not sure of the timing, @CrashDDL, but I do believe just dragging a file over an item to add an attachment is on the list. The Watchtower issue with swapping categories when you clear a warning is another I'd expect sooner than later. The only one I'm a bit iffy on if it will happen is the "Open" feature for attachments. Under the hood, 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 already handle this the same way – they save a copy of the attachment locally and allow you to open it – it's just the 1Password 7 is far clearer about that by showing you a save dialogue. This was done purposefully – we want you to be absolutely certain you're saving this attachment outside 1Password so that you can make good security choices about whether or not you want to do that – but because we wanted that to be more obvious now and not later, I don't know that we're going to be sticking to the exact workflow available today, We can't skip saving externally – the file needs to be unencrypted to be read by other programs, like your photo viewer – but the UX there certainly could change.

Finally, I should mention that document previews for certain file types are already supported for discreet Document items that are part of 1Password accounts. I don't know that there are plans to extend this to attachments as well, but I could see that being something we could do that might meet your needs on the glancing at a photo front. In fact, I could see it being better since you'd not need to open or anything – it'd just be there in 1Password if you want it. The downside, of course, would be that the preview would always be available in your app and not triggered by you and there may be environments where you don't want that to happen. For that reason, there's a settings toggle for previews today and I'm sure the same would be true if attachments got them so you could have some control over when and where previews are shown.

Anyway, enough of my babble! I appreciate the feedback and definitely expect many of your points to be addressed in some way down the road, so keep an eye out as always. :chuffed:

• CrashDDL
    CrashDDL
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

I understand the security concern, I have to admit I myself wasn't aware of this. Of course I only open the pictures on the same machine they came from and they are just screenshots but I do get it. Something like a hover over picture viewer built in would very fancy. Having to navigate away from the notes to see the picture and then find the note again would be cumbersome.

Settings toggle is a very reasonable way to give control over the feature, I doubt anyone would mind. :)

As I am trying to force myself to completely switch over to 1Password 7 I have a few things I noticed with secure notes that might be worth mentioning as they could improve workflow in my opinion:

• When in editing mode in secure note, "tab" functions as a jump to the next field, except for the "notes" field, where it selects everything on arrival and deletes everything on use. (I duplicate previous notes and the notes field will almost always stays the same. I manage to delete the text from the notes field most of the time. I know I can undo it but it slows things down, and it is inconsistent with the behaviour of "tab" in every other field.)
    • In text fields where there is anything other then letter or number, double click will only select the phrase before special characters, instead of selecting the whole text. (After duplicating the previous secure note, I need to replace the delivery email field and I keep having to fight to click in the field, use ctrl + A, then ctrl + V. It works just doesn't feel smooth, if you know what I mean. For example "t-mobile" in an email address could not be selected with a double click no matter what.)
    • Having an email address in a text field inside a secure note will bring up "open and fill" instead of "copy". While I'm sure this wants to be a prediction that most user will want to write an email to the person, could we at least have a way to change the order of the options in settings so one could move the "copy" option to the top? I think that would be a great customisation.
  • Thanks for the additional feedback, @CrashDDL!

When in editing mode in secure note, "tab" functions as a jump to the next field, except for the "notes" field, where it selects everything on arrival and deletes everything on use.

Ick, yea, I see the same thing and, actually, having seen the behavior I think I recall a conversation about this. The notes field is a bit sticky because it's multi-line and one might reasonably want to have an actual tab character in a secure note. In addition, I believe the highlighting is for accessibility reasons – screen readers will read the contents of that field if it's highlighted, but perhaps not if it isn't. If you can't tell, my memory isn't the most reliable of things so I'll be sure to share this with our development team and see if we do have an option to improve that behavior. For now, shift+tab will move out of that field to the next. :+1:

In text fields where there is anything other then letter or number, double click will only select the phrase before special characters, instead of selecting the whole text.

Nice catch! I won't rule out there being some reason for that, but if there is, I don't know what it is. I've passed this along to our development team.

ref: dev/windows/opw#4403

Having an email address in a text field inside a secure note will bring up "open and fill" instead of "copy".

Yea, this is parsing as a mailto URL and would open in your default mail app. With that said, I gave this a test saving the e-mail address in an e-mail type field as well as a text type field. The latter only shows me copy while the former does open & fill. I'd quibble about the appropriateness of open & fill anyway as you're just opening, not filling, but regardless if you change the type to text it'll not turn into a URL and will instead be plain text with copy as the default. Small caveat – I'm running an internal build so if you're seeing different on your end, then replace all of this nonsense with "hang tight and it'll be fixed soon". :wink:

Also, customization is still cool. It is one of those "nice-to-haves" so maybe not something you'll see any time soon, but I like it and I'll be sure to pass it along. :chuffed:

• CrashDDL
    CrashDDL
    Community Member

Changing field to text is a great idea, I should have thought of that :+1:

• Eh, there's a lot that can be done in 1Password and it definitely takes time to learn. Heck, I've learned a thing or two from customers myself, @CrashDDL, so I think you can be forgiven. :wink:

Also, since I have you, quick update on double-click to select text. This is apparently an OS-level issue. You'll see the same in most browsers (I personally tested both Edge and Brave) as well as some other apps. Oddly, Notepad is fine, so it's not consistently a problem, but our text boxes are Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) boxes so we suspect this is something that would need to be addressed in a .NET update unless and until we move away from WPF. That could certainly happen one day, but it's a sizable project I don't see happening any time soon (and potentially at all) so likely something we'll need to cope with until then. To the extent it might help, Windows Key + Shift + Home will select from wherever your cursor is to the beginning of the text, so that might serve as a workable solution until then. :+1: Also, that's one of those little things a customer taught me. I'm not the best with keyboard shortcuts generally, so was definitely one I was thrilled to learn. :chuffed:

• CrashDDL
    CrashDDL
    Community Member

I tried and Shift + Tab doesn't do anything but Ctrl + Tab will move the cursor to the next field.

I think I found 1 more thing. The attachments should be listed alphabetically. Instead they are seemingly random so it could be order of time added or last modified. Either way not very helpful. :(

Is there a way to make the text of the attachment/document names stand out somehow? Without borders and colors everything blends to the background of the app and makes it hard to see things at a glance. I actually have to look closely...

• Attachments will appear in the order you added them, @CrashDDL. It's another one of those things where I think expected behavior might reasonably vary, but the general rule is that if you are adding something to an item rather than filling out a template field, the order in which you add fields (and attachments) should be the order they're displayed in. That puts how things are ordered fully under your control rather than us making that choice for you. I can certainly pass along a request to have sort options for them, but I can't say that is a request I've seen at all before so whether it gets implemented will likely depend to some degree on demand. Would the option to reorder them yourself by moving them up and down (rather than deleting and re-adding) feel like a viable compromise to you? No promises as I can't be totally sure I'm right about this, but that strikes me as a simpler change that might get more traction. :+1:

As for visibility, I can't say I have much problem with that, but I also don't tend to have a lot of data density in my items so I may not be the best test case here. If it helps, attachments will always be at the bottom so scrolling to the end will limit the other clutter you're having to sift through. You can also search file: to filter your item list to only items with attachments and help further pare down items to sort through. Finally, I suspect introducing file previews for attachments would be of help here too – that preview will obviously stand out. In the meantime, I'll be sure to pass a request for some variability in the attachment file names to our design team. Particularly given we aren't able to preview every type of file, there are likely to be some that need some emphasis for a little bit longer yet. :chuffed:

• CrashDDL
    CrashDDL
    Community Member

Some sort of control over the order of attachments would be great. Sort alphabetically or drag would do wonders. Having to save and re-add everything is not ideal for sure.

• You've got it, @CrashDDL! I think reordering would fit nicely as part of a project we've been planning for so I'll be sure to suggest it to the team as a possible enhancement. :chuffed:

• CrashDDL
    CrashDDL
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

Here is something interesting in regards to attachments. I just dragged 3 jpg files to a secure note to attach them. They are from a folder that has them in alphabetical order. I selected "Buyer Info", "eBay notification" & "PayPal Notification". Once I dropped them into place, the order became: "PayPal Notification", "Buyer Info" & "eBay Notification". I think I can say with reasonable certainty that the order of attachments is not based on when you add them when adding multiple attachments.

Plus I have a sort of bug that can be reproduced: I had a Secure note in editing more. I dragged previously mentioned 3 attachments over but I forgot to save it. I then went ahead to close everything for a computer restart. When I pressed "X" in the top right corner of the 1Password 7 app, the app just froze. Won't do anything but it doesn't even show unresponsive in task manager. I had to kill it off from task manager. Then I did the same thing again with the same results. It might be worth looking into it.

It seems to be a problem when all 3 attachments are dragged over at once and not saved.

• Dragging over could be a wrinkle, @CrashDDL. Depending on file size and the like, I could see one technically getting "added" first even though it was dragged second. I gave that a try myself and my attachments still ended up ordered in the order I added them, but that could have a number of explanations. For example, they're all roughly the same size. I'm also using my desktop which is fairly powerful and probably less prone to things that are triggered by slowness. I suspect there's a chance I'd see different behavior on my Surface. I'll try to do some more digging.

As for that hang, would you be able to give that one more go and leave it alone for a while to see if it does eventually close? My theory is that your app is trying to save that item for you. When you close 1Password, we save unsaved edits to prevent any data loss. Attachments do take a bit to save (they're bigger than most items, after all), so I could see that maybe being a thing. I'm doing the same myself and it's still there hanging so perhaps not the case, but worth a try. :+1:

• CrashDDL
    CrashDDL
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

I run a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, G.Skill 64GB 3600Mhz, MSI Trio X Gaming 2080 Ti & Corsair MP600 2TB PCIe 4.0 @ 5GB/s, so machine capabilities are not in the realm of possibilities for cause. :)

Attachments are not added based on size either. I figured out how it works. When files 1,2,3 and 4 is selected they are being added in the same order but the start point is determined by which file the user clicked on last when started dragging. So I drag them by clicking file 3, then they will be listed as 3,4,1,2 in the attachments inside the secure note. While this is a cute extra, without any control over the order of attachments it is very counterproductive.

I did some more testing to figure out the exact conditions for the app to freeze:

• A freshly duplicated secure note can be closed and it will save. Upon re-opening the app, the note will be in the save Edit state. After this, adding any number of attachments to it and then closing the app with the "X" will "forget" all the attachments upon reopening it.
    • The same freshly duplicated secure note if adding even 1 attachment, will make the app freeze indefinitely if it was not saved before closing with "X".

So the app won't save all unsaved work, to be specific, it will not save any unsaved attachments and it can't get rid of them if the note was not saved before, resulting in the freeze.

• Thanks for the extra detail, @CrashDDL! I actually let mine sit for darned near 15 minutes yesterday and never got out of that frozen state even on my desktop so we're in firm agreement on specs probably not being the issue. Strangely, our engineering team can't reproduce the problem, while it's all but a guarantee for me. I'm not quite at the specs you are, but similar setup for sure. Interestingly, I also have a Ryzen processor and G.Skill RAM, so maybe hardware is playing a role, just not in the way we think. An interesting ponder anyway. I went ahead and filed something all the same so they can continue plugging away. It's clear there is a problem here, it's just a matter of figuring out the right trigger. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.