To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Benefits of membership over standalone?

minoglio
minoglio
Community Member

Hi all - I currently have a standalone licence, but have been looking into whether it's worth switching to a paid subscription. I checked out this page: https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/
...and have some questions:

1. 'With a 1Password membership, you can access all your passwords and other items from any of your devices, whether you’re online or offline.' Isn't that also the case with a standalone licence? I have the app on my Mac and on my phone, and can access both whether I'm online or offline?

2. 'Your membership includes 1Password X, a full 1Password experience in your browser that integrates directly with 1Password.com.'
    Again, isn't this the same with my standalone licence? I can still use browser extensions which integrate with my Mac/iOS apps.

3. The Secret Key - who doesn't love a secret key?! But just so I'm clear, say I went round to my friend Barrrt's house (not his real name) and suddenly needed to access my passwords, would I need to know/remember my secret key in order to use his laptop to open my password vault? Or would I just need my master password? Really hope it's the latter, or aren't you going to have to rebrand to 2Passwords?

4. 'Protecting Your Data at Border Crossings' Non-technical query on this: Is this a thing? Is this a thing people need? I mean regular people, people who aren't Edward Snowden.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies - I suspect a version of this question gets asked a hundred times a day.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @minoglio

I'd be happy to help differentiate.

'With a 1Password membership, you can access all your passwords and other items from any of your devices, whether you’re online or offline.' Isn't that also the case with a standalone licence? I have the app on my Mac and on my phone, and can access both whether I'm online or offline?

No. :) Licenses include access to a specific version of 1Password for a specific platform. They do not generally include upgrades, or access to the apps on other platforms. For example, a 1Password 6 for Mac license doesn't include 1Password 7 for Mac, nor does it include any version of 1Password for Windows. A 1Password membership on the other hand includes access to all of the latest versions of the 1Password client apps for all of your compatible devices.

'Your membership includes 1Password X, a full 1Password experience in your browser that integrates directly with 1Password.com.'
    Again, isn't this the same with my standalone licence? I can still use browser extensions which integrate with my Mac/iOS apps.

No. :) 1Password X is our newer extension which can work entirely independently of the apps. This is especially helpful for folks who want to use 1Password at work but don't have the ability to install applications. Even many who could otherwise use the desktop app extension choose to use 1Password X instead (myself included):

Get to know 1Password X

The Secret Key - who doesn't love a secret key?! But just so I'm clear, say I went round to my friend Barrrt's house (not his real name) and suddenly needed to access my passwords, would I need to know/remember my secret key in order to use his laptop to open my password vault? Or would I just need my master password? Really hope it's the latter, or aren't you going to have to rebrand to 2Passwords?

So, first of all, we really wouldn't recommend signing into any of your accounts from an untrusted computer. But if you're going to take that risk, yes, you would need both your Master Password as well as your Secret Key in order to sign into your 1Password account in a device you've never signed into before on. The expectation isn't that you memorize your Secret Key, though I suppose you could if you want, but rather access it through one of your existing installations or your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

The Secret Key will also sync to your Apple devices through your Apple ID using iCloud Keychain.

'Protecting Your Data at Border Crossings' Non-technical query on this: Is this a thing? Is this a thing people need? I mean regular people, people who aren't Edward Snowden.

That's really something for each individual to evaluate. At the end of the day it is another tool in the toolbox. Some borders are more hostile to different people than others. We have definitely seen instances where this feature has or would have been helpful, though, yes.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies - I suspect a version of this question gets asked a hundred times a day.

No need to apologize. :) I hope the information above is helpful.

Ben

• minoglio
    minoglio
    Community Member

Thanks so much, Ben. Much appreciated.

• You're very welcome @minoglio. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member

I'd like to add a few words. I've been a 1Password user from just about day one. I had always enjoyed my standalone licensed version and thought I had no reason to switch to a paid subscription plan. Frankly, I had absolutely no use for it. I finally started considering the benefits of the paid subscription a year or two ago and decided to give it a try. Wow, I love it, as does my wife! JMHO of course but we are very happy with the paid subscription, an no, I don't work for 1Password.

• @Doug in Alaska Thanks for adding in your thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.