Can not add account in iOS 1Password Version 6.9.1

stefanscheidt
stefanscheidt
Community Member

Hi,

I just signed up for the family plan and created an account for my wife. Now I tried to add her account to her 1Password iOS app but failed. I scanned the emergency kit QR code but got the error was "please check e-mail and secret key" (my translation from the German message). I also tried to enter all login data manually but also failed.

My wife uses 1Passeword 6.9.1 on iOS 10.3.3 with a iPhone 5 model A1429.

Any Ideas what I can do?

Thanks in advance!
Stefan

1Password Version: 6.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• stefanscheidt
    stefanscheidt
    Community Member

By the way, adding the account to 1Password on her Mac work perfectly fine.
    Browser access also works.

• Hi @stefanscheidt

1Password 6.9 is an older version of 1Password for iOS (outdated by quite a few releases at this point), but it should still work for this purpose...

What are you entering for the sign-in address? Have you tried using my.1password.com in that field?

Please let me know.

Ben

• stefanscheidt
    stefanscheidt
    Community Member

I entered https://my.1password.com

After scanning the QR code, only „my“ was outfilled.

• stefanscheidt
    stefanscheidt
    Community Member

And I cannot update 1Password as I cannot update iOS on this old device.

• @stefanscheidt

Please drop us an email to support+forum@1password.com from the email address associated with your membership. I’d like to send you a different sign-in URL to try. Post the support ID you get back here once you’ve emailed in.

Thanks.

Ben

• stefanscheidt
    stefanscheidt
    Community Member

I send "you" a mail from my wife's email address and got a response with the support ID #AUL-88115-665.

• Thanks @stefanscheidt. I see we’ve received your email. I’m in the process of replying. As we may need to get into some account specific details let’s continue the conversation via email.

Ben

ref: AUL-88115-665

• cprecioso
    cprecioso
    Community Member

I have the same problem, I created a family account for my mom, and her iPad only allows up to iOS 9, so I can't update 1Password further than 6.9.1. I get an error to check email and secret key. However, if I try with a personal account, it gets added correctly.
    I understand if you don't support this app anymore, but is there a possibility of a workaround?

• cprecioso
    cprecioso
    Community Member

I have the same problem, I created a family account for my mom, and her iPad only allows up to iOS 9, so I can't update 1Password further than 6.9.1. I get an error to check email and secret key. However, if I try with a personal account, it gets added correctly.
    I understand if you don't support this app anymore, but is there a possibility of a workaround?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cprecioso:

I think the only solution would be to update to a more recent version of iOS I am afraid, so you will be able to also update the 1Password app to the latest version.

• chamaelion
    chamaelion
    Community Member

Hello!

I too am receiving the same error experienced by @stefancheldt, and can verify the following:

• New account is a family user account, have gone through the recovery process.
    • Logged into the account again successfully without error in multiple places (windows / mac / iphone, all latest OS versions).
    • Logging in on ipad with 1password ios app v6.9.1 gives the error "Check your e-mail and secret key"

• 1password account details entered by scanning QR code from recovery kit.

• Unable to install later version of 1password app due to older ipad being capped at ios v9.6

Please assist - @ben - I note that you were providing initial support on this issue, noting that the older versions should still work. Please confirm that this is the case & assist if possible.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your continued support :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chamaelion!

Currently you need 1Password version 7 in order to login to a 1Password account. As per the system requirements, at the time of writing 1Password 7 in turn requires iOS 12.2 or later, so I am afraid you will need to update the operating system of your device in order to also update the app.

• chamaelion
    chamaelion
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana - thanks so much for your prompt response.

I was hoping that I'd get a different response from you on this, but and understand that older versions get phased out. :'( :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@chamaelion:

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear :( I think in this case it's less of a matter of the app version, and more of a problem with older versions of iOS. 1Password uses the latest security features of the operating system, so if we want to keep improving the app, we also need the operating system to be kept updated to benefit from all of this.

This discussion has been closed.