Do not get suggestion to save password after logging in

Alexeus
Alexeus
Community Member
edited December 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Installed chrome Extension in Browser (without desktop app)/
There is no popup after I logged in to remember me to save password.

Is it possible to turn it on?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.3.0
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:suggestion to save login

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Alexeus: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password X doesn't have any prompts like this, but it may be something we do a bit differently over time. Currently you can save a new login by clicking the 1Password icon in the form when you enter your username and password but before you submit the login form:

Give that a try and let us know what you think! :)

• Alexeus
    Alexeus
    Community Member

@brenty Thank for you reply.
    I'll explain my case: I do not remember exactly what password for service. For such cases I'd like to save password only after a successful login.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Alexeus: Thanks for getting back to me! Do you mean you have it saved in Chrome? That isn't something 1Password can access, but you should be able to get it from there. That's a good point about how it could be useful to save after successful login. Though there can be complications there since 1Password X is running in the browser as well, we'll see what we can do. :)

• Alexeus
    Alexeus
    Community Member

@brenty No, I’m not talking about chrome storage. I’ll try to explain.
    I’m new user to 1password. I have not stored any password yet.
    I go to site N.com, It’s not important site for me so I do not remember my password for it exectly. But I know it one of several default ones. I try each password and one of them fits. LassPass in this case show me notification with suggestion to save password. This notification appears only after I’ve successfuly logged in.
    This is feature I vish to have.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@Alexeus: I completely understand what you're saying. We are currently testing our update Login feature which would greatly help in this situation.

In the meantime, if you've created a Login item already, you can update the password (to the correct one) by clicking the Edit button at the top of the item's details.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Alexeus
    Alexeus
    Community Member

Thanks! Waiting for release)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I'll update this post when I see the update item feature in our release changelog. :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• vulmer
    vulmer
    Community Member

So two years later.
    What is the situation on this. Pretty standard feature nowadays...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

@vulmer:

We don't have to share anything new about this, sorry! If you would like to be prompted to save the password after you have logged in, please download and use the companion browser extension instead. 1Password X is our latest extension and it works differently than the traditional one, but I have passed your feedback to the developers for consideration ;)

And welcome to the forum!

ref: dev/core/core#634

• ChrisJG
    ChrisJG
    Community Member

Hi I just want to add that the process of saving passwords in 1Password feels very backwards. The whole point of me paying for 1Password is so that I don't have to remember all the log in details I use. It's pointless if I can't save the correct details after a successful log in and I have to manually in put my log in details before I log in because I don't know if the information I'm putting into 1Password is correct yet. You need to develop a prompt that after as successful log in it asks you if you would like to save those details.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @ChrisJG. As Ana mentioned, we do offer the companion extension for Mac and Windows if you'd prefer that.

I've gone into more detail in the past about my own workflow when I was first setting up my 1Password account. You can read the comment here. Now that I have everything set up, I rarely ever find the need to click the Save in 1Password option to save a new Login. That's because if I create a new account, I use the inline suggested password in registration forms, which prompts me to save right away.

I'll pass your thoughts along. I appreciate you sharing them with us!

• ChrisJG
    ChrisJG
    Community Member

Hi Kaitlyn, you're not really providing a solution at all just outlining the functions that I already use. The companion app when used and unlocked in the browser doesn't prompt you to save any credentials as you enter them. It simply just gives you the option to save the log in details prior to logging into a website regardless if they are correct or not. So basically if you've forgotten a user name or password you have to reset the whole thing to remember it then enter into 1Password companion app manually.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion, @ChrisJG. Could you let me know which version of the extension you're using? The companion extension will pop up asking if you'd like to save a Login (as long as it hasn't been saved prior) after you press enter or click the sign in button on a website. You should be able to wait for the page to load to see if the password you entered was correct. If it wasn't, you can choose the not now option in pop up and try a different password. Once you see that the password was accepted, that's when you'd choose to save the item. What I'm describing is different from 1Password X, which is the other extension we offer that doesn't connect to the 1Password desktop apps (in the stable version).

Here's a video of how the companion extension behaves when entering an incorrect username/password. Does that match up with what you're using?

This discussion has been closed.