Blog comments disabled

benfdc
benfdc
Community Member
It seems that one must now login to post a comment on an entry in the AgileBits blog. My login in these forums will not work. My login in the new discussion forums will not work. There seems to be no way to register for an account on the blog. Am I missing something, or has AgileBits decided to eliminate the ability of members of the public to comment on blog entries?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I know there was some talk of doing this, and it looks like it has been implemented. Blog comments are a pretty lousy way to connect with (or, better still, follow up with) folks. We encourage folks to either stop by these forums (as in the most recent post as of this writing) or contact us via the traditional support channels if they have any questions, concerns, or other feedback. That allows us to provide better response times and follow up which I think is something everyone benefits from. :)

There is still public conversation about the posts, but it takes place here on these community forums, Facebook, and Twitter.
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    A reasonable call, but the implementation is confusing.

I would suggest reposting all blog posts here in the discussions forums, and either doing away with the comment links on the blog or else keeping them but having them redirect here.

And while we're on the subject of the blog, the "Blog Home" link is still broken, pointing to the main AgileBits home page rather than the Agile Blog home page.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    A reasonable call, but the implementation is confusing.

We've only recently made the change, so we are still improving the implementation. We appreciate your feedback.

I would suggest reposting all blog posts here in the discussions forums, and either doing away with the comment links on the blog or else keeping them but having them redirect here.

And while we're on the subject of the blog, the "Blog Home" link is still broken, pointing to the main AgileBits home page rather than the Agile Blog home page.

I'll pass this along to our web developer.
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    If I were the sort of person who subscribes to conspiracy theories, I would probably latch on to the notion that blog comments were shut down in anticipation of the responses to yesterday's post proclaiming the "good news" that upgrading to 3.8.11 will take away the Export to Encrypted Web Page feature.

To say that the alternatives suggested in that post are a poor substitute for File > Export Selected > Encrypted Web Page… would be a bit of an understatement.
  • Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    benfdc wrote:

If I were the sort of person who subscribes to conspiracy theories, I would probably latch on to the notion that blog comments were shut down in anticipation of the responses to yesterday's post proclaiming the "good news" that upgrading to 3.8.11 will take away the Export to Encrypted Web Page feature.

To say that the alternatives suggested in that post are a poor substitute for File > Export Selected > Encrypted Web Page… would be a bit of an understatement.

I just read the blog post and I am not seeing the big issue here. :)

The bookmarklet has been on life support for years. (personally I think the current value is very small) It's origin was pre-IOS application (i.e. 1Password Touch) and mostly served as bridge to 1Password Touch.

Being that 1Password automatically generates the HTML file in the keychain package I don't see how this is less favorable than manually exporting it to a weaker version HTML file all the time. Maybe I am missing something.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Ben, I'm glad you aren't the sort of person who subscribed to conspiracy theories. Blog post comments and and specific features (or their removal) in 1Password are wholly unrelated. The changes mentioned in the blog post are for security reasons as computing power continues to increase. The features that were removed did not have the benefit of PBKDF2 key strengthening. Today's post clarifies the situation further:

Staying ahead with security
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Just thought I'd complement all y'all on the way that the Agile blog now handles comments. As is the case with threads in the forums, some posts allow comments, others don't, and it's very easy for readers to distinguish between the two.

—Ben
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Khad—

Not a great solution IMO. You could wind up with multiple threads created in multiple forums both here and on the support site. Better to have one thread linked to off of the blog post.

—Ben
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hasn't been an issue for about half a year now.

If it becomes a real problem (rather than hypothetical) then we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Also, threads can be merged. ;)
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Threads can be merged, but the person starting a new thread will be posting without the benefit of reading what had already been posted in the earlier thread.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I haven't seen it happen once since we made the switch.

As I said, if it becomes a real problem (rather than hypothetical) then we can cross that bridge when we come to it. :)
This discussion has been closed.