Feature request: an independent password generator

Demerion
Demerion
Community Member

We have this in the desktop/browser version, but not in the iOS version.
I want to be able to generate a password without having to create a log in.

Currently when a website asks me to create a password, I have to click on password, 1Password, create log in, add username and then I'm able to generate a password.
Often I add log ins later, so it would be a lot faster to just go password, 1password, generate password.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Demerion!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

Are you using the iOS 12 Autofill feature to do this, or the iOS Safari extension?

In the meantime, you could do this manually too: if you are going to 1Password anyway, you could open the app, click on the "+" button in the top right corner, select a Password item, and this will allow you to generate just a random password without a username.

Later on, you can turn this into a Login item from your desktop app.

I hope this helps!

• Demerion
    Demerion
    Community Member

Hey @ag_ana,

sorry for this late reply, I completely forgot I posted this.

Thank you for the workaround, however, that isn't very practical, because you can't just copy the password I created that way. Currently, you have to save the password, select it again, and then copy it.

Regarding my original suggestion: I am using the iOS 12 (now iOS 13) Autofill feature; I didn't even know about that Safari extension.

But they are both almost the same anyway, they suggest me the password I saved for that website (which is perfect, keep that :P) but they won't let me generate a new password.
    Sometimes you just need a one-time password, and then it would be a lot faster to just use the Autofill or Safari extension instead of going to the app, generating, saving, copying, going back to Safari, pasting, letting the website save it, going back to the app and deleting the password. :)
    I hope you can see what I'm trying to say.

Cheers!

• @Demerion

I believe I understand what you're saying, but I'm a bit confused as to why the last bit is desirable. Could you please help us understand under what circumstance you'd want to delete the password that 1Password just generated for you from 1Password? How else are you remembering that password? If you aren't otherwise remembering the password, and it is simply forgotten, could you provide an example of what circumstances you find yourself doing this under?

Ben

• Demerion
    Demerion
    Community Member

Hey,

sometimes I just need a test account which I'm going to delete afterwards, so I don't really need to remember the password.

But even for normally changing the password on a site, the password generator would be useful.
    So if I were to change the password, for example, on Twitter, I need to click on "change password", fill in my old password, and now when I want to create a new password, I have no way to quickly access a password generator. If I now click on 1Password, it only shows options to fill in my old password, not to create one. I can't even edit my old logins. The only thing I can do is to create a new login, what I obviously don't want to do.
    Using the 1Password app works, but that takes longer and I still have to rely on the clipboard when I copy the new password to fill it in on Twitter. :)

I'll attach three screenshots to show you what I'm talking about.

Adding a password generator to the Autofill menu would make changing passwords much more convenient on mobile.

Best regards

• @Demerion

I think there may be a disconnect here. I'm able to access the password generator without creating a new login or opening the 1Password app.

1. Navigate to https://twitter.com/settings/password
    2. Fill current password using Password AutoFill
    3. Tap the share icon in Safari then select 1Password
    4. In the 1Password extension tap the (i) icon next to your Twitter login that you want to change
    5. Tap Edit, Generate New Password, then Done
    6. The new password is on the clipboard. Paste it into both the new password and confirm new password fields.

I'm not aware of a way where we could avoid the clipboard entirely for such an operation on iOS.

sometimes I just need a test account which I'm going to delete afterwards, so I don't really need to remember the password.

At this time I don't believe this is a use case that we're going to account for in 1Password. That seemingly falls outside the scope of what most people are using a password manager for (remembering their passwords). I would much rather save something that is deemed to be unnecessary than not save something that was necessary, when it comes to people's passwords.

Ben

• Demerion
    Demerion
    Community Member

Hey Ben,

thank you for that guide.

Again, I was forgetting about the Safari extension.
    This works well on actual websites, but there's no "i" when using applications, or in other words, using the Autofill version.

HOWEVER:
    I just discovered that you can actually swipe left or right on the login when using the Autofill feature, which allows me to "Show Details" which then lets me edit the password, as the "i" would have done.

That still won't allow me to quickly generate a one-time password, but I guess I don't need an extra password generator so badly now that I know how to edit the password saved in 1Password without having to use the app.

Thanks a lot for helping me!

Cheers!

• You are very welcome. I'm glad to hear that helped. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.