Keyboard shortcut to open 1password in Firefox works only after 3 attempts

Options

Any ideas? It's been happening for about a year and I just can't take it anymore.

Thanks,

1Password Version: newest, of course
Extension Version: newest, of course
OS Version: newest, of course
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2020
    Options

@virtualbartek

Revealing your keyboard shortcut to us will not disclose any personal information, would you be willing to do that so I can try it here?
    What exact versions of Firefox, 1Password, and the 1Password extension are you using? It's very helpful that you're using the newest version. But often based upon the browser you're using or OS you have installed, you may be limited regarding precisely what is the latest version, that's why we ask for specifics.
    Do you notice this behavior on any specific sites more than others? If so, can you give an example URL? Finally, is this behavior exhibited on a particular keyboard layout? What happens if you try another keyboard layout?

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi,

The shortcut is 'command+.' I'm on two different macs and it happens on both.

The 2011 MacBook Air is running High Sierra 10.13.6 and I'm using a 64 bit version of Firefox 71.0. 1Password is version 7.4.2 Beta-1, while the extension in Firefox is 1Password X 1.17.0.

The 2017 iMac is running Mojave version 10.14.6 and I'm using a 64 bit version of Firefox 71.0. 1Password is version 7.4.2 Beta-1, while the extension in Firefox is 1Password X 1.17.0.

I realize that I forgot to mention that it's 1PX that I'm talking about, and so of course the 1P app ver. doesn't matter and I likely posted this in the wrong place as a result. Anyway. It happens no matter where I am when I try 'command+.' to unlock 1PX for the first time. It takes multiple attempts for the window to pop up. I can't find another shortcut assigned to that hotkey combination anywhere, though I'm not entirely sue that I know where to look other than the obvious.

I'll try another hotkey but this one is rather set in my brain. That will be a hard change. I'll change and use for some time and report back.

Thanks

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@virtualbartek – No worries at all. Your post ended up in the 1Password X category in the end. :)

The fact that the Command - . keyboard shortcut works for you on the third try is rather interesting. I would think it'd either work or not work at all. I'm happy to dig deeper for you. Before we get started, Firefox was recently updated to version 72, and 72.0.1 actually came out earlier today. Could you update Firefox if you haven't already? I wouldn't expect it to make too much of a difference, but I'd rather be sure that I'm testing in a similar environment as you.

The Command + . doubles as the Firefox keyboard shortcut to stop a command (just like the escape key). That leads me to the question, do you tend to notice the keyboard shortcut not work when a webpage is in the process of being opened? I haven't had any interference myself, but it'd be good to know if that's all that's going on here.

Another question – do you currently have any other extensions installed in Firefox? I wonder if the keyboard shortcut would act the same in a fresh Firefox profile. I know it's a bit of work, so you don't necessarily need to go that route, but it could get us closer to figuring things out. If you end up giving it a try or if you already have an additional Firefox profile created, let me know what you find.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Ok, so on one computer I changed the hotkey and on the other I'll use a fresh profile for everything for a while. Both updated to 72.0.1. I can't currently reporduce the problem either. If it does happen I'll look out for the context of what's going on.

I was just thinking. It doesn't happen when loading a site ever because I only ever use it when I need to fill a password so the site would likely alreday be loaded.

Thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@virtualbartek – I'll cross my fingers it was just a temporary thing then, but please keep a close eye on it and let me know if it creeps up again!

I figured it you were mainly wanting to unlock 1Password X after a page was already loaded. I'm glad we can rule that out if the issue does come back in the future.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

So, just to follow up, this has only happened once to me since then and indeed a website was in the process of loading at the time. I assume that was the issue and everything is working fine, actually. Thanks for bringing the Firfox hotkey to my attention.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

No problem at all, @virtualbartek! I'm happy to hear that, and I appreciate the follow up. :)

This discussion has been closed.