(Suggestion) Conceal credit card numbers when viewing the card details

On 1Password 7 for Windows:

In the item list, the details are concealed: 1234 xxxx 1516

I think they should also be concealed the same way when viewing the full item: 1234 xxxx 1516

Then, similar to passwords, it can easily be revealed (or copied while still concealed).

Some websites even conceal the credit card number behind asterisks after you move to the next input box. For example, you enter the card number, tab to the expiry date, and the card's digits are concealed. The reason for that is the same as the reason I'm suggesting this to 1Password:

I feel uncomfortable when any sensitive information is exposed on my computer screen when I am in public (Starbucks, airport, etc.), in the office, etc. because anyone nearby can see it, take a picture, etc.

So, I do not agree that sensitive information should be shown by default on the screen unless I've selected to reveal it. I rather just copy it while concealed or reveal it when I want to see it. Usually, all I need to see is the last 4 to confirm something (some call centers and websites use the last 4 as a soft verification).

Thanks for considering!

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• CoreyCorey
    CoreyCorey
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

I broadened my forum search and found a similar thread, but I think my thread adds to this conversation (also, the other thread is about Mac/iOS and my thread is about the Windows program): https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/109451/credit-card-info-visible-in-mac-and-ios

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CoreyCorey,

If we make this change, we will need to make it in all 1Password apps, not only in 1Password 7 for Windows. The reasoning behind the current behaviour is discussed in the thread that you linked to in your second message, but thank you for sharing another point of view.

I will make sure to pass your feedback to our team, so we could have an internal discussion about it. Your feedback is really appreciated and it is always interesting to take a look at 1Password from a different angle (there is a lot of different ways of how people use it).

Let me know if you have any other questions, we are always here for you. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• CoreyCorey
    CoreyCorey
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

If we make this change, we will need to make it in all 1Password apps, not only in 1Password 7 for Windows.

I agree; that'd be great!

The reasoning behind the current behaviour is discussed in the thread that you linked to in your second message, but thank you for sharing another point of view.

Please consider my newly-posted suggestion in the other thread that should satisfy everyone: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/543269/#Comment_543269

I will make sure to pass your feedback to our team, so we could have an internal discussion about it.

Thanks!

• It's no trouble at all, @CoreyCorey! As Ben mentioned in that other thread, these sorts of changes do tend to take a bit more time, but we hear you and will certainly keep your feedback in mind as we consider improvements moving forward. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.