Multiple accounts in 1password X plugin for Firefox

Hello! I use 1password X in Firefox at work. I have multiple accounts (one for work and one for personal). When I do ctrl+period, it opens the password prompt, but doesn't let me select which account. I can enter the password for both accounts and it'll unlock the right one, but then ctrl+period doesn't let me select the other one to unlock.

To unlock the other account, I have to dig into my settings, scroll down, click on the account, and then enter the, password. Is there a shortcut for choosing which account to try to unlock? As such, the browser extension is not very usable for me since I have to click into my 1password settings multiple times a day to unlock one or the other of my accounts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Ubuntu Linux 18.04
Sync Type: Cloud 1password
Referrer: forum-search:firefox

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @breen! I love that you have a separate account for work and personal – I do too, and it keeps things organized. :)

There are a couple different routes you can go when using 1Password X with multiple accounts. I'll lay each of them out and hopefully you'll have a better idea by the end.

1. Use the same Master Password for both (or all) of your accounts.
      If you use the same Master Password for both of your 1Password accounts, both of them will unlock when you type in your Master Password. It's also easier to remember one single Master Password, so that gives you the opportunity to come up with a long, strong one.

2. Lock/unlock 1Password X whenever you want to switch accounts.
      If you don't want to use the same Master Password for your accounts, you can use one account at a time in 1Password X. For example, when you first unlock 1Password X, you'd type in your work account's Master Password. Then, when you're ready to switch over to your personal account, you'd lock 1Password X by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + L then press Ctrl + Period to unlock 1Password X again. Only this time, you'll type in your personal account's Master Password.

Based on your last comment, it sounds like you may be switching back and forth between your work and personal account fairly often. Given that, I'd go with option one out of convenience's sake. The choice is yours, though. Either option should make things a bit easier for you.

If you have any questions for me, let me know!

• breen
    breen
    Community Member

Yikes. Not sharing passwords between accounts is one of the main reasons I use a password manager in the first place. I’m not comfortable with #1 at all and it’s a little upsetting to me that that is the recommended approach.

I can try option 2, but that sounds like I’d be entering my passwords much more often than I am now. I was hoping for a solution that would make the extension more useful but also wouldn’t weaken my security posture.

Is there any way for me to submit a feature request to allow me to switch between my accounts without locking one and then unlocking the other? Some sort of hot key to toggle the active account would be wonderful and would save a lot of time.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@breen – I understand your concern there, and I appreciate you wanting to remain as secure as possible. I think my colleague, Brenty, explained it well in this comment in case you're interested in hearing our side. As far as your point about having the ability to toggle between active accounts in 1Password X, I'll add your feedback to an existing feature request we've got filed. Thank you for sharing your perspective!

ref: dev/core/core#124

This discussion has been closed.