2FA (Auto)filling on log-on

Options

After a 2FA token is added to a log-in entry, the one-time code is often automatically pre-filled when the website prompts for it...at least on popular websites. As I've been moving my 2FA to 1pwd, I've noticed that sometimes this doesn't happen and I have to go to the 1Password X dropdown, search for the login, copy the code, and paste it myself. This is mildly inconvenient, especially so when I know the field is auto-populated on other websites.

Just wondering if I was missing something or if there could be a better way. It would be nice to have 2FA as a context option in a textbox at least, or better yet a way to tell 1pwd which textbox is for 2FA for each website (so it remembers to autofill it).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @conspiracyx! Welcome to the forum. :)

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong at all. The one-time password (OTP) should be filling automatically for you as long as it's stored inside your 1Password Login item. I understand that the web is nowhere near perfect, so there may be some instances where 1Password doesn't fill as you'd expect. If you ever come across sites like that, please don't hesitate to report it to us. I'd be happy to pass the report along to our developers so we can learn from it and continue to improve 1Password's filling algorithm. If you let me know the website URL(s) for the site(s) you've already found where your OTP isn't filling, I can take a closer look!

• conspiracyx
    conspiracyx
    Community Member
    Options

Sure! I got two so far - reddit.com and login.particle.io

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@conspiracyx – Thanks so much. I've got a Reddit account, so that worked out well. However, I wasn't able to reproduce the same behavior. When I sign into reddit.com, my username and password are entered, then my OTP is entered automatically after I click the Sign In button. Can you take a look at your Reddit item in 1Password and make sure you've got an OTP field?

For login.particle.io, I see exactly what you're saying. This actually isn't something I've ever seen before, but the OTP field has absolutely nothing indicating that in the HTML. Typically, I see OTP fields contain an htmlName or an htmlID of "2fa-login" or "otp-code" or really anything indicating it's a field regarding two-factor authentication. We truly don't have anything to go off of there, but I'll get it reported to our developers regardless. I appreciate you getting it on our radar. In the meantime, the quickest way to fill your OTP on login.particle.io is to click the 1Password icon in your browser to open the 1Password X pop-up, then click and drag your OTP to the field.

ref: dev/core/core#800

• conspiracyx
    conspiracyx
    Community Member
    Options

Just logged in/out of Reddit and it worked this time. Maybe ran into some odd intermediate state as I've been re-logging-into Reddit across multiple machines after I moved the 2FA token. I do have one more machine left where the session may have expired - if I catch the behaviour there, I will try to keep notes, but it will be days from now.

As far as Particle's website, again, would be nice to get "paste OTP" as a context menu item (at very least).

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@conspiracyx – I'm glad that Reddit is behaving now. Feel free to comment on this thread whenever you give it a try on the last machine and let me know how it goes.

I agree with you completely! We'll do everything we can on our end. If you come across any new sites with OTP filling trouble, I'll be here for you.

This discussion has been closed.