How does 1Password for Android work?

romad
romad
Community Member

My sister asked me about which password manager to use on her phone. Needless to say as an 11 years+ user of 1Password, I suggested it.
Unfortunately, she uses Android and I don't so when she asked me how 1Pwd worked on Android, I was at a loss and had to say I'd research it. Of course good research means going straight to the "horse's mouth". So how does 1Pwd work on Android? Are the passwords stored and encrypted on the phone or are they kept in the cloud somewhere waiting to be hacked?

BTW, we commented that the picture of Kevin above looks a lot like our late brother whose name is Kevin also.

Sincerely,
Dennis

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @romad, thanks for the question :chuffed:

Getting started with 1Password on Android will lead your sister through creating a 1Password account. Her items will then be synced with 1Password.com so that they're easily available on any device where she signs in (an account comes with access to all the apps). Only she will have the keys to decrypt these items and decryption is only ever done locally - everything is encrypted before it is ever sent over the internet.

I'd recommend taking a look at what our accounts offer in this article: https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/
    And our security page has more detail on that aspect: https://1password.com/security/

Let us know if you have any questions!

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

So the Android app doesn't have the capability to store the passwords on the phone as my iOS app does? I don't use your storage account because I've always used 1Password as a standalone application on my Macintoshes and just synced via local WiFi. Thanks for the security page link, I'll check it out.

• The Android app can also sync with a Mac over WiFi. It's not possible to get started from the Android app in that way - you'd need to get set up on the Mac first and then set up the Android app second, but if that's your/her preference then it can absolutely be used that way :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

OK, thanks. I don't know if she wants to use 1Password on her MacBook Pro, but I'll explain her options.

• No problem, we're here if you have any more questions :+1:

This discussion has been closed.