Disable "Two Factor Authentication Available" messages?

2»

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gedankenexperimenter - fair enough. That might have been a good way to do it, but unfortunately that die is cast at this point. We're looking at ways we can refine the "suppress" feature for future updates that may not even involve tags, so this may not be an issue in the future. I've nothing specific to announce on that score right now, however.

• @Lars – Sorry; I meant that I don't like the use of the 2FA tag as the mechanism for suppressing those messages, not that I think a different tag should be used. I'm in favour of a method that does not involve tags.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gedankenexperimenter - ah, gotcha. Noted! :)

• d19dotca
    d19dotca
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

Since I'm not a fan of creating a tag that's named the opposite of what it's being used for (whoever chose that "secret tag"... tsk tsk. lol), I just enter in a period (.) for a TOTP field which I create. It removes the message and shows a TOTP field with no value.

I prefer that method to creating a tag called "2fa" which implies this account uses two-factor authentication even though it's clearly being used for the exact opposite (to hide the 2FA messages). Hope this tip helps others who may not like the "2fa" tag approach.

It'd be great if items had a way to remove things like this on the item itself, much like Enpass does where you can exclude a password field for example from being marked as "weak" (something I'd also like to see 1Password do too), because there are often items that aren't in our control and it sucks seeing those just constantly wanting attention in Watchtower, particularly for those of us who like to see the Watchtower item counts be 0 all the way for maximum security. For example, passwords shared with other people or passwords set by other people in particular, I can't go and edit their account to turn on 2FA or can't account for a weak password they set and sometimes the "password" is really just a PIN that's of course going to be marked as weak without realizing the other form data that's needed to protect it too, so I'd rather mark the item to be ignored for those reports. Enpass has been doing this for years, hopefully 1Password will follow their lead in that functionality too.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@d19dotca - thanks for the tip; it may help people who look at it the way you do. :) :+1:

As has been mentioned in various threads on this forum, we are working on a more-comprehensive, server-based way to offer individual user attributes (which would include the ability to suppress warnings on a per-user basis) even in Shared vaults where one user's preferences wouldn't be reflected in every other users' preferences. That's an ongoing process and requires the ability to function across all four native applications, as well as the 1password.com server. So, much more comprehensive (and useful) than a platform based suppression-tag...but also considerably more tricky to get right. Stay tuned, we agree the more-comprehensive approach is the better one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@d19dotca - it's also worth mentioning that you can now use the newer method of clicking the "Don't Save in 1Password" button on the Watchtower banner itself, which should eliminate the need for tags of any kind:

This discussion has been closed.