How to delete Imported date tag without changing last modification date/time?

Options

I'm trying to get all of my data imported into 1Password. The import works fine, but all of the items on each import gets an Imported date tag. I understand the tag might be useful during the import process, but once everything is imported correctly, I want to delete these tags.

I can right click on the tag and select delete and that works. However, it updates the last modification date/time of all items to the current date/time. Obviously I want to maintain the actual last modification date/time for all of my items.

Am I missing something or is there no way to get rid of the imported tag without changing the last modification date/time?

One other thing I noticed that is different between the 1Password apps for Mac and Windows - if I right click on a tag and rename the tag, 1Password for Mac does not change the last modification date/time for all of the items with that tag while 1Password for Windows does update it. They both update it on delete though.

Since tags are the only way to do user categorization similar to folders, I don't think renaming or deleting tags should update the last modification date/time. That should only be updated when changing the username, password, url, notes, etc.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Since tags are technically part of the item in question and you are modifying the item by removing it, @jasb, I suspect that there is no way to remove a tag without updating the modified date. In fact, 1Password for Mac could potentially be behaving incorrectly by not updating that date when you rename a tag. After all, that update is technically accurate. With that said, I'd love to better understand your use-case for that date modified. Do you use it track when you lasted updated an item that has required password rotations for example? Understanding a bit more about how you use that date modified will help me consider whether we might be better served by adding some new information about the item that would allow you to accomplish what you need to while still keeping that date modified accurate based on any changes to the item.

• jasb
    jasb
    Community Member
    Options

I just want to maintain the existing last modified date so I can see how long it's been since an item was actually modified. Can't imagine why I should have to lose that data when importing into 1Password.

I can live with deleting or renaming tags updating the last modified date, even though I personally think that is wrong. I guess you should report the 1Password for Mac tag rename not updating the modified date as a bug then.

What I can't live with is not being able to import all of my data without either resetting the last modified date of every item when I delete the imported tag or having to leave the imported tags forever. That makes no sense at all.

It's hard to believe I'm the first person to want to keep the existing last modified date on import. What does everyone else do? Reset the date when deleting the imported tag or just leave the imported tags in the vault forever? Why are those the only two options?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasb,

Sorry for these troubles!

The imported tag is applied to your items, when you import your data to 1Password account. It allows you to undo imports if they didn't go right (you'd select that tag, delete all items with it, and try again without affecting the rest of your 1Password data).

However, I can totally understand where you are coming from and we will need to do better here. I will make sure to discuss this behaviour with my team and we will get back to you soon. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• jasb
    jasb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Greg and @bundtkate for the fast responses.

Yes, I completely understand why the imported tag is added and it seems like a good feature.

Hopefully y'all can think of some way to remove that tag without modifying imported data.

• bundtkate
    edited January 2020
    Options

It's no trouble at all, @jasb! And I apologize, I don't mean to imply you're wrong to want that. The imported tag is kinda weird because it doesn't update the "modified" date when added, which makes sense to me – you didn't modify the item, we did, and even then only for a defined purpose that has an end date on its usefulness – but I could see the other side as well. Some might think "that's a modification so it should count". It's always nice when we can address both use-cases. This could definitely be one way in which we just can't though, and have to pick a side and having both Mac and Windows at least agree what side that is would be a nice start. Thanks again for passing this along and we'll definitely take a closer look at how this is handled. :chuffed:

ref: dev/windows/opw#4426

• jasb
    jasb
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Greg, you said you were going to discuss this with your team and get back to me. Any other thoughts about how to import data and remove the import tag without changing the last modification date? Just not possible?

• The discussion is ongoing at the moment, @jasb. As you pointed out, different apps handle this differently at the moment and, as it tradition, everyone has their own ideas about what's proper. Just goes to show this reasonable debate extends to us as well. It's definitely possible not to do this, but as I alluded to earlier there's a decent enough argument for either path being proper, so we've got to let that discussion play out so we can settle on what side we'll be taking and why. :+1:

ref: dev/dev-docs/b5book#1023

• jasb
    jasb
    Community Member
    Options

I really don't care about the overall decision on whether deleting/renaming tags should update the last modified date or not. Once I get my data imported, I will rarely change or delete tags.

What I would like is to be able to import my data into 1Password (including the last modified date) and not lose that data by removing the imported tag(s) that were automatically added during the import. Currently, it seems the only two choices are to leave the tags forever or lose the data. I don't see how there is any valid argument which supports that being acceptable.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I have to agree with this. Tags should be considered metadata, not the data itself. Renaming a tag, for example, should not update the modified time for all the items with that tag.

My converter suite works hard at supplying such dates when available. It's a shame that the modified tag gets wiped out when a customer removes the auto-generated import date tag.

• jasb
    jasb
    Community Member
    Options

By the way @MrC, thank you very much for the converter suite. Being able to import the created/modified dates, additional custom columns, tags, etc., is very important to me.

• Sorry, @jasb – I'm not disagreeing with you, just failing in my efforts to be both brief and clear. Forgive me. 🙏 The discussion kind of ballooned a bit because it's not just the imported tag where the apps aren't being consistent at the moment, it's deleting tags at all. So, what we've got is a question as to whether deleting a tag at all should modify an item and, depending on the answer, can/should the imported tag be treated differently. My own position would be that deleting a tag should modify the item and thus the imported tag should be special and did share that view with the team, but even when answers seem obvious to me (or anyone else), a decision must be made.

Also, I can't agree enough about MrC's contributions. We're beyond lucky to have him as building importers could be an entire team's job all on its own otherwise. I can't ever thank him enough, but I do try and I'm beyond thrilled to see our customers showing appreciation. He definitely deserves it. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.