why do i have to enter my master password rather than use my macbook pro's touch id

tom9417
tom9417
Community Member

Hi - even though I've unlocked all the "Auto-Lock" options within 1Passwords - preferences - security ..... I'm still having to type in my master password each time I un-sleep my system. It would be far easier to use my Macbook Pro's Touch ID (which I've ticked under security). I'd expect to do this if the system was turned off completely but having to retype my master password is frustrating - please advise if I'm doing something wrong - thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.2.BETA-2 (70402002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Cataline 10.15.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why do i have to enter my master password rather than use my macbook's touch id

Comments

• Hey @tom9417,

Things seem to be working fine for me on this end with my own Touch ID-compatible device, so let's dig into this a bit. First things first, uncheck and then check again the preference to use Touch ID within 1Password for Mac. You can find that option in Preferences --> Security, along with the option to require your Master Password after a certain time limit. Be sure that the time preference is set to your liking.

If that doesn't end up doing anything for you, make sure that Touch ID is actually working at the system level. You can head to System Preferences --> Touch ID to make sure it's configured, and if you have any other apps or services that you use Touch ID with, let me know how you get along in testing those out.

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Hi - thanks for replying - I've tried your fixes but my problem still exists - the only time I can use successfully my Touch ID is when I open the 1Password app (so my touch ID is working with 1Password) - however after that when i go to a webpage which 1password knows its ID and PW I'm being asked to type my master password every time my Mac goes to sleep

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

Are you by chance using the 1Password X browser extension, instead of the regular browser extension that communicates with the desktop app?

If your 1Password app is correctly prompting you for Touch ID, but your extension does not, I think you might be indeed using 1Password X. Can you confirm if this is the case?

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Hi - ag_ana,

yes I've the 1Password X Chrome browser running - should I remove it?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tom9417:

Thank you for the confirmation. 1Password X does not communicate with the desktop application, it is an independent extension that you can use without having to install anything else separately.

If you would like your extension to follow the lock settings of the main app, you should use the companion browser extension instead, or upgrade to 1Password X beta so you can use the new desktop app integration feature (if you prefer to continue using 1Password X).

• tom9417
    tom9417
    Community Member

Thanks you - you've helped solve my dilemma - the 1Password X beta fixes my problem - thanks a lot :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.