1password not offering to save passwords in Safari

Getting very frustrated with iPassword 7 after 10 years of using this program without any issues.

I have the 1password preferences set for 'always keep 1password extension helper running' and 'detect new usernames and passwords' with nothing excepted in the white box.

Despite this, 1password is NOT offering to save any passwords entered in Safari.

I was just on a site using Firefox and could not recall the login info and it was not in 1p. I switched to Safari which allowed me to enter its password saved in the keychain (great) but then I logged in and 1password sat idly by not doing a damn thing. So I still don't have that login saved in 1password.

This is not the only time this has happened and this never happened with 1password 6 (prior to whatever changes prompted loss of support for Safari).

I tried to enter the password in Firefox (after going through the multiple steps of obtaining it in Safari) and 1p did save it there.

The problem is that I have several passwords saved in Safari that are not in 1p - mostly due to time spent running 1p6 without the Safari extension. I also have family members who have relied on Safari to create and save passwords for them and I would like to have 1p running and offering to save these in a shared family vault.

I hope that Agile Bits is aware of this issue and working on it. Telling me to use a different browser so I can take advantage of 1password X is not an option here.

If anything, this makes me question what benefit iPassword 7 offers if the Safari extension is just as useless.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Safari extension
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eoren1!

I switched to Safari which allowed me to enter its password saved in the keychain (great) but then I logged in and 1password sat idly by not doing a damn thing. So I still don't have that login saved in 1password.

I hope that Agile Bits is aware of this issue and working on it. Telling me to use a different browser so I can take advantage of 1password X is not an option here.

Changing the browser won't be necessary, but you should update your Safari settings if you want 1Password to work properly there. The issue is caused by the fact that you left your Safari keychain enabled. To avoid interference with 1Password, we recommend you turn off the built-in password manager in your browser.

If you leave the Safari password manager on, 1Password cannot do its job and prompt you to save your credentials for you, since Safari is already doing it.

• eoren1
    eoren1
    Community Member

But then I'm in a Catch-22...

Safari knows the password to this site and 1p doesn't. If I turn off the built in pw manager, how will I get the password?

Also, I've had issues with how 1p now generates and fills passwords on certain sites and Safari has never failed me. By disabling the built-in manager I'm no longer able to use the more seamless process.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eoren1:

If I turn off the built in pw manager, how will I get the password?

The passwords that are already stored in your Safari browser will keep being accessible as usual in the Safari Preferences > Passwords tab ;) You can then move them from there into 1Password.

Also, I've had issues with how 1p now generates and fills passwords on certain sites and Safari has never failed me.

Can you please let us know what websites this is happening with? We would be happy to test them here too and see if they behave the same for us.

• eoren1
    eoren1
    Community Member

Just tried - I turned off autofill username/passwords as per link above

In Safari, went to website (internal IP pointing to an app on my Synology device)

I had used 1p to generate the password previously but it did not save it as a new login.

Typed in my username (good thing I remembered it)

Copied password from 1p (generated)

Logged in.

1p did not offer to save the login info.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eoren1:

I don't have a Synology device to test here unfortunately, so can I ask you to try this on a public website instead, so we can test it too? This forum website would be a good one to test, for example.

This discussion has been closed.