Autofill doesn't work for several websites

jlollar
jlollar
Community Member
edited January 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I started trying to use 1password several months ago. It worked logging on to some websites, but not others. The documentation on how to use 1password is spotty to say the least. It is unpleasant getting linked to youtube.com and having to sit through a video that ultimately doesn't help. I haven't found that the forums are useful. So I stopped trying to use 1password until I had time to troubleshoot the problem.

I decided to dedicate a day to getting it to work. Currently, autofill works with some, but not all, airlines, banks and other financial institutions. It doesn't work with Amazon or American Express. It is a consistent problem using both an iMac/Safari and an iPhone (i.e., it either does or doesn't work independent of the device). I see from the 1password forum that logging on to sites is a common problem. However, I don't see a white paper from 1password on the issue or a general approach to the problem. Instead I see recommendations for specific fixes.

Today I focussed on getting 1password to log on to Amazon and American Express, surfing around the internet for suggestions in the absence of meaningful documentation by 1password. If a program touting automatic logon doesn't work with Amazon, it's a problem. With Amazon I tried changing the Amazon URL, using the manual login feature in 1password and disabling the login features in Safari to no avail. Amazon has separate pages for username and password and 1password will not fill in the password page. With American Express, after two failed log ins, I breached their security and I had to change my password. Five hours into trying to get 1password to work consistently, I'm done.

I don't have any acquaintances that use 1password. I'm not computer savvy or illiterate either. For me it has not been a do-it-yourself program. I deal with computer programs in a technical position all day, every day. Dealing with another buggy program that isn't absolutely necessary isn't going to work.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.3 Safari 13.0.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jlollar! Welcome to the forum!

With Amazon I tried changing the Amazon URL, using the manual login feature in 1password and disabling the login features in Safari to no avail. Amazon has separate pages for username and password and 1password will not fill in the password page

I have just tested filling on amazon.com and it worked fine for me here, so it should definitely work for you too. You say that you were not able to fill the password page, but were you able to fill the username page?

With American Express, after two failed log ins, I breached their security and I had to change my password.

This suggests that the password you had saved inside your 1Password app was the wrong one. I can't think of another reason why the American Express website would tell you that the password you are entering is the wrong one, if it wasn't.

This discussion has been closed.